Sunrider for Hardtop | Trail Report

Willys22

First Name
SK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willys 22
When closed, the Sunrider for Hardtop is noisier than the freedom panels at highway speeds. When opened, there is wind buffeting inside (in a 2-door there is no way for the air to escape).

That said, we love our Sunrider for Hardtop. I will be reinstalling it this weekend and will keep it on until Nov.
Adding on this, to me, tire noise is louder than the wind noise over 55 mph - mine has the mud tires and it was a stock from Willys 2022.

Slight opening of two windows would be a bit helpful.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Playbak54

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Retired
I love mine. I bought the twill and installed it. Set it up on the ground first. It all went in great except for one of the Z clips snapping in half when I secured the second front clamp. This is a fatal error in that they can't just send you the part, they have to send you a whole new top:facepalm: Which they did by the way, once I sent them the pictures. It took them a bit, but it got here in a few weeks.

I mention this only as a cautionary tale. Make sure you have the Z clips seated correctly. They go in a weird way and if you don't set them just right, it seems they can bind up. If you get to much resistance when locking down the second clamp, don't force it, check to make sure the Z clip is in place.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sunrider for Hardtop | Trail Report 20220325_160934

Jeep Wrangler JL Sunrider for Hardtop | Trail Report 20220325_155819

So where to buy, I bought mine at 4 Wheel Parts. I got $50 off for picking it up in person. There was also a $50 rebate from Bestop.

As to the shade staying on, I asked them that question and they never would answer me as to what fit. I live in TX, so I can't be without my Spidershade🥵 I have a full Spidershade for the JLU. It works fine. It's a bit of a bear to put on the hard top bracket. I had to roll my shade back to the sound bar to make it work. Once the bracket is in, you just put the shade back in place. I didn't remove the shade to take the top off. At no point does the shade interfere with the top.

One caveat with a sunshade, it does make handling the front clamps a bit awkward, but the way the clamps are designed they're pretty easy to engage. A lot easier than trying to clamp/unclamp your freedom panels with the shade in place.😏 Once unclamped, you can push the top open by putting your arm out the window and pushing it back.

My top did fine open at 85 mph. I didn't get the impression there was any issue.

Noise is subjective. It has more to do with wind direction, road noise and wind noise. I agree with everyone else in that it's just quiet as it is with the Freedom panels. I have the Hothead headliner with the sound assassin installed and I really don't see that much of a difference.

I love this thing and I would buy one again. Good luck!

Hydro Nat

First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I love mine. I bought the twill and installed it. Set it up on the ground first. It all went in great except for one of the Z clips snapping in half when I secured the second front clamp. This is a fatal error in that they can't just send you the part, they have to send you a whole new top:facepalm: Which they did by the way, once I sent them the pictures. It took them a bit, but it got here in a few weeks.

I mention this only as a cautionary tale. Make sure you have the Z clips seated correctly. They go in a weird way and if you don't set them just right, it seems they can bind up. If you get to much resistance when locking down the second clamp, don't force it, check to make sure the Z clip is in place.

So where to buy, I bought mine at 4 Wheel Parts. I got $50 off for picking it up in person. There was also a $50 rebate from Bestop.

As to the shade staying on, I asked them that question and they never would answer me as to what fit. I live in TX, so I can't be without my Spidershade🥵 I have a full Spidershade for the JLU. It works fine. It's a bit of a bear to put on the hard top bracket. I had to roll my shade back to the sound bar to make it work. Once the bracket is in, you just put the shade back in place. I didn't remove the shade to take the top off. At no point does the shade interfere with the top.

One caveat with a sunshade, it does make handling the front clamps a bit awkward, but the way the clamps are designed they're pretty easy to engage. A lot easier than trying to clamp/unclamp your freedom panels with the shade in place.😏 Once unclamped, you can push the top open by putting your arm out the window and pushing it back.

My top did fine open at 85 mph. I didn't get the impression there was any issue.

Noise is subjective. It has more to do with wind direction, road noise and wind noise. I agree with everyone else in that it's just quiet as it is with the Freedom panels. I have the Hothead headliner with the sound assassin installed and I really don't see that much of a difference.

I love this thing and I would buy one again. Good luck!
I figured it would be more work to open the sunrider with a sunshade on but I’m glad to hear you can use it! I’m from Texas as well so I know the sun can be brutal.

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

For those who have had their Sunrider for awhile, does anyone remember if @Bestop has had a Memorial Day sale or offer in recent years? I know that nothing guarantees it will happen again, just curious. Looking to pick one up this month and I can wait a few more weeks if there might be a Memorial Day sale. Also, will buying from their Amazon storefront qualify for the great Bestop limited lifetime warranty?

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

For those who have had their Sunrider for awhile, does anyone remember if @Bestop has had a Memorial Day sale or offer in recent years? I know that nothing guarantees it will happen again, just curious. Looking to pick one up this month and I can wait a few more weeks if there might be a Memorial Day sale. Also, will buying from their Amazon storefront qualify for the great Bestop limited lifetime warranty?
Bump

Sponsored

McLeadslinger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.[Banned Site]
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willy’s
Since I got my sunrider, I have never put my freedom panels back on. The only hassle during assembly was the Z clips. Other than that, it was straight forward. I will say though, the price is ridiculous for what you get but Bestop basically owns the market.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I will say though, the price is ridiculous for what you get but Bestop basically owns the market.
Thank you for saying that.

I know Bestop makes a good product, but I about fainted at the price. And yes, I want one, but no way I'm dropping that much coin on it.

NashJeepGal

First Name
Candy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 High Altitude
Thanks I will. I purchased the dual top group, so its not a priority, but I would still like to have one.

I dont have an issue with the FP except the room they take up in the trunk.
I too purchased the Dual Top, but as soon as I saw the Sunrider option, I had buyer’s remorse. Sold the dual top and loving my Sunrider. It’s so easy to use after install that I use daily. Plus, can quickly fold over running into store or something without latching and fold back.

By far best mod so far 👍

Sponsored

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I too purchased the Dual Top, but as soon as I saw the Sunrider option, I had buyer’s remorse. Sold the dual top and loving my Sunrider. It’s so easy to use after install that I use daily. Plus, can quickly fold over running into store or something without latching and fold back.

By far best mod so far 👍
I know. How long did it take to install?
Was it difficult?

I haven't installed my ST cuz its been raining here... LIKE EVERY DAY.

On a side note, I just requested a quote from Daniel for this....

https://www.jeep.com/bmo.wrangler.2...PBJ,X9,ESG,DFV,DME,Z1M,SDH,TXA,WGU,HD,UAQ,27X

Doubtful, but I might be going through the process yet again, for the third time. I miss being able to bitch about it I guess. Hahahahaha

But I got to make friends like you in that thread, so there's that.

😁

I AM NOT a fan of the body colored fenders and top but maybe I can swap out my black one before I will Hydro Hazel.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Another question for those with Sunrider experience. Can one drive at freeeway speeds with the Sunrider open? Not worried about noise or anything like that. Just wondering if the Surider can hold up to being buffeted by wind when the vehicle is going +70MPH (unless there is a design piece that I am not seeing that pushes the Sunrider closer to the roof?).
@Bestop Can you chime in as well?
Yes, highway speeds are my favorite time to drive with it open. You will need to pull over to open/close it, though. Even at 25MPH, I wouldn't advise opening/closing it. You could probably open it, but closing it even at that low speed is hard and probably puts unnecessary strain on the system.

I’m considering this sunrider but I have some questions. 1. Will I be able to keep my Mopar grab handles on with this top? I wasn’t sure if any of the hardware gets in the way. 2. I currently have shadeidea Sun shade (One piece sun shade that goes over the speaker bar and covers the front and rear). Am I able to keep this on with the sunrider? I’d still like to use the shade although it would make it difficult to open from the inside.
1. Not sure on the MOPAR grab handles, but I believe so.
2. I had the Alien Sunshades for a bit, but sent them back because of the interference with the lock handles on my Sunrider. Lots of people run with both, but I had to reach kind of "through" the front edge of the sun shade to secure the handle and it was just too finicky for me to always be stretching the shade around to lock them down. So yes, but kinda no.

Was it difficult?
Installation is *super* easy. Uses the TORX bit from the Jeep kit. I can put mine on in ~10 minutes, and most of that is just lifting it alone and getting it positioned. An electric ratchet is recommended, but not necessary. The whole contraption is a bit unwieldy, is all. If you have a 2nd person to help you lift it up and put it in place, it's MUCH easier. Doable alone though.

NashJeepGal

First Name
Candy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 High Altitude
Was it difficult?

I haven't installed my ST cuz its been raining here... LIKE EVERY DAY.

On a side note, I just requested a quote from Daniel for this....

https://www.jeep.com/bmo.wrangler.2...PBJ,X9,ESG,DFV,DME,Z1M,SDH,TXA,WGU,HD,UAQ,27X

Doubtful, but I might be going through the process yet again, for the third time. I miss being able to bitch about it I guess. Hahahahaha

But I got to make friends like you in that thread, so there's that.

😁

I AM NOT a fan of the body colored fenders and top but maybe I can swap out my black one before I will Hydro Hazel.
I’m 392 enviou,s, but saw some forums where they’re not taking anymore 392 orders for 2022? So do share, if you order and if Daniel can place one.

I sold the dual top (soft top) in the box was delivered in. Never used it, but Sunrider took less than an hour. The Z clips were the biggest hassle, which others mentioned, but nothing compared to swapping full hard top to soft top.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m 392 enviou,s, but saw some forums where they’re not taking anymore 392 orders for 2022? So do share, if you order and if Daniel can place one.

I sold the dual top (soft top) in the box was delivered in. Never used it, but Sunrider took less than an hour. The Z clips were the biggest hassle, which others mentioned, but nothing compared to swapping full hard top to soft top.
I doubt it will happen unless I can make bank on Hydro Hazel like with my Hella. Honestly, I'm scared to death for long term ownership due of a Wrangler to all the 2-3+ yo rigs with paint issues.

And the price is stupid and hard to get over.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
www.Bestop.com/best

:)

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Sponsored