NashJeepGal

First Name
Candy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 High Altitude
Good to see your name pop up @NashJeepGal
Kinda like high school classmates, we all sort of drift apart after we get our rigs.

I trust you are enjoying yours!

I am really luving my Hydro so far tho I haven't gotten to drive it much yet. Only 1000 miles on it and 500 was getting back home.
I’m loving my Jeep! We hit 70 degrees today and pulled the top down. The flip top has proven to be a good purchase.

Glad you’re loving your hydro. I still follow our forum, but mostly just observing all the newbies waiting on their Jeeps. They seem to be cranking them out much faster than when we were waiting.
Sponsored

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
I can't wait! I have mine waiting in the office. Planning on installing it first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks for the great review, I'm even more excited now to put it on and go drive!

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I’m loving my Jeep! We hit 70 degrees today and pulled the top down. The flip top has proven to be a good purchase.

Glad you’re loving your hydro. I still follow our forum, but mostly just observing all the newbies waiting on their Jeeps. They seem to be cranking them out much faster than when we were waiting.
Our weather is running as follows:

32, 70, 65, 35, 72, 54, 30
Rain, dry, rain, snow, rain, rain, sleet, rain, rain
Windy, windy, windy, windy, windy

Ugh

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
Does anyone know if the Mopar version (Mopar #82216370AA) and the Bestop 30oz twill version (Bestop #52454-17) are the same? Trying to figure out what the differences are and which version to purchase.

srb2537

First Name
stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 grand cherokee
Mopar version for me (I ordered it with my build) I've heard other posters mention Bestop actually makes the Mopar version but IDK... What I do know is the OP's assessment is spot on and I agree 100% .. the SUNRIDER for HARDTOP kicksa** I'd say see which one you can find the best deal on and pull the trigger.

Sponsored

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara; 2022 JL Rubicon
Does anyone know if the Mopar version (Mopar #82216370AA) and the Bestop 30oz twill version (Bestop #52454-17) are the same? Trying to figure out what the differences are and which version to purchase.
From what I understand, both are made by Bestop, the Mopar one has a label saying ‘Jeep’ whereas the Bestop one says ‘Bestop’. Warranty is better on Bestop one. Unfortunately the prices just went up earlier this month on the Bestop one.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Wraith

For warranty reasons alone, you are wiser to buy the Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop JL/JT from Bestop or an authorized Bestop reseller verus the same SR with Mopar branding from Mopar.

The warranty on the TWILL, again Twill ..... Bestop Sunrider is excellent.. Mopar warranty on the same SR, is minimal at best.

IF you keep the SR for more then a year or two there is a good chance that you may need that warranty. Parts fail.... The Bestop SR is terrific offering, but like any offering, parts on it have been known to fail.

The Mopar SR is no more then a Bestop SR without the Bestop logo on it.

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
@Wraith

For warranty reasons alone, you are wiser to buy the Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop JL/JT from Bestop or an authorized Bestop reseller verus the same SR with Mopar branding from Mopar.

The warranty on the TWILL, again Twill ..... Bestop Sunrider is excellent.. Mopar warranty on the same SR, is minimal at best.

IF you keep the SR for more then a year or two there is a good chance that you may need that warranty. Parts fail.... The Bestop SR is terrific offering, but like any offering, parts on it have been known to fail.

The Mopar SR is no more then a Bestop SR without the Bestop logo on it.
I appreciate the input. Where is the best place to order the Bestop version at the lowest price? I am seeing the Mopar equivalent for the mid 700's but shipping is rather expensive so not much of a savings. Plus with what has been outlined regarding the warranty, it sounds less appealing as well.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I appreciate the input. Where is the best place to order the Bestop version at the lowest price? I am seeing the Mopar equivalent for the mid 700's but shipping is rather expensive so not much of a savings. Plus with what has been outlined regarding the warranty, it sounds less appealing as well.
@Wraith

Forum search... I believe Northridge 4x4 has a forum discount code, that will get you $99 off .

IF, you are a Veteran or Active Military, call Bestop the company and ask for their Military/Veteran discount... and order directly through them if you can't find a better deal from one of their authorized resellers.

ALSO, you can buy on Amazon, use an Amazon charge card and get 5% back on credit card purchase..

Even if you pay say a $100 more lets say, you are far better off with the Bestop branded TWILL ... again Twill SR from Bestop... just because of the warranty.

Keep in mind.... that if you care for your Bestop Sunrider that when you sell your JL, someday, you will be able to take off that SR and sell it used... you will then recoop at least a couple of hundred of the $ you initially spent for the SR...

With that said.. anyone that purchases a used SR, should be careful-careful ....and be sure the z-clips, one of both are not broken.

OP
OP
John VonJeep

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
If you order with the Jeep you get a 3/36 warranty. It is transferable.

If you order from Bestop you get a lifetime warranty but it’s not transferable.

Pretty simple. The lifetime warranty is nice but wasn’t dispositive for me.

Sponsored

NashJeepGal

First Name
Candy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 High Altitude
@Wraith

Forum search... I believe Northridge 4x4 has a forum discount code, that will get you $99 off .

IF, you are a Veteran or Active Military, call Bestop the company and ask for their Military/Veteran discount... and order directly through them if you can't find a better deal from one of their authorized resellers.

ALSO, you can buy on Amazon, use an Amazon charge card and get 5% back on credit card purchase..

Even if you pay say a $100 more lets say, you are far better off with the Bestop branded TWILL ... again Twill SR from Bestop... just because of the warranty.

Keep in mind.... that if you care for your Bestop Sunrider that when you sell your JL, someday, you will be able to take off that SR and sell it used... you will then recoop at least a couple of hundred of the $ you initially spent for the SR...

With that said.. anyone that purchases a used SR, should be careful-careful ....and be sure the z-clips, one of both are not broken.
I ordered mine through northridge using the “forum” or “forums” discount code which is 10% off and free shipping

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

Another question for those with Sunrider experience. Can one drive at freeeway speeds with the Sunrider open? Not worried about noise or anything like that. Just wondering if the Surider can hold up to being buffeted by wind when the vehicle is going +70MPH (unless there is a design piece that I am not seeing that pushes the Sunrider closer to the roof?).
@Bestop Can you chime in as well?

Last edited:

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Sport S, ‘16 Silverado
Another question for those with Sunrider experience. Can one drive at freeeway speeds with the Sunrider open? Not worried about noise or anything like that. Just wondering if the Surider can hold up to being buffeted by wind when the vehicle is going +70MPH (unless there is a design piece that I am not seeing that pushes the Sunrider closer to the roof?).
@Bestop Can you chime in as well?
Yes, with no issues.

Hydro Nat

First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I’m considering this sunrider but I have some questions. 1. Will I be able to keep my Mopar grab handles on with this top? I wasn’t sure if any of the hardware gets in the way. 2. I currently have shadeidea Sun shade (One piece sun shade that goes over the speaker bar and covers the front and rear). Am I able to keep this on with the sunrider? I’d still like to use the shade although it would make it difficult to open from the inside.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
When closed, the Sunrider for Hardtop is noisier than the freedom panels at highway speeds. When opened, there is wind buffeting inside (in a 2-door there is no way for the air to escape).

That said, we love our Sunrider for Hardtop. I will be reinstalling it this weekend and will keep it on until Nov.
Sponsored