Sponsored

Sunrider for Freedom top, give me the good, the bad and the ugly.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

The Sunrider isn't a Jeep product, so you can't order it with your Jeep. It's a replacement for the freedom panels that come on the Jeep hard top, from BestTop.
i know its not a jeep product, its from Best Top. but you can add it on the Jeep builder on jeeps website. unless theyre just Fing with us...
Sponsored

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
i know its not a jeep product, its from Best Top. but you can add it on the Jeep builder on jeeps website. unless theyre just Fing with us...
Wow. Seriously? Never saw that. But yeah, in that case, they would have to give you the freedom panels too. Not including those would be a POS thing to do lol.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
yeah, i saw that posted above. that is amazing information that should be stickied! lol. i would absolutely do that if i were to get one. now im trying to decide between hard top and soft top. just posted a thread about it in the general section.
@JLUin818

I'd tell you to get the hardtop... It leaves the factory a hardtop with a hardtop harness installed, the on the required column controller and the necessary hardware that a hardtop requires are installed.

IF you were to ...... after having a JL delivered from the factory with a soft-top, .... wanting to install a hardtop, you would have to spend approx. $600 or so to get what I just mentioned, just so you could fully install a hardtop that you might purchase..

Best bet .. especially if not 125% sure you want a convertible versus a hardtop is to order with a Hardtop... IF, if later on you want a soft top they are always easily had and not at all pricey in comparison to adding a hardtop..

Will also add that many that think they want a soft-top get it and then are too lazy to open and close it/ do not want to deal with it, concerned about minimal security with a hardtop, etc...

As for the Sunrider for Hardtop...... a pleasure, easy to deal with in regard to opening and closing and takes so little effort to open and close you will find yorrself doing it lots and lots..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YES, you are correct ......you can now order the Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop as an option when you order a JL/JLU... The SR may not have the Bestop logo on it but it is manufactured for Stellantis by Bestop.... just as the JL's convertible top's are.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JLUin818

Do check with your dealership when/before ordering... I was told by two different dealers that the JL/JLU would come with Freedom Panels installed and the SR for Hardtop in the back of the JL in a box...... similar to when you order the dual top option..

So, so verify as I am going on what I was told by 2 dealerships but have no first hand experience with same..

Do post what you are told...

As I mentioned in an earlier post.... best bet / smartest move is to buy the Sunrider for Hardtop from Bestop.... Better Warranty on the SR....

Sponsored

TMD78

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back again with JL#3, 2 door Willys
I have the sun rider from bestop on one of our two jeeps, and the mopar factory one on another, both are indeed from bestop. The mopar one is slightly different in that it’s pretty much 100% assembled in the box, you just have 6 bolts and it also has the Jeep logo in some spots where the non mopar one does not. Because mopar always has 15% off coupons on their site, i actually got a really good deal on the mopar premium sun rider and prefer it to the non branded one because it has a couple less nuts/washers etc, not that either are hard to install. Box the mopar one comes in is huge because it’s fully assembled.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Is the Mopar Sun Rider the premium Twill, or the Black Diamond when ordered at build ?I see on the Build, it's A $895 option, but the photo must be Black Diamond, as it has the gray underside. Hoping it's Twill from Mopar

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I can confirm that your Jeep will arrive with a full hardtop and Freedom Panels. The Sunrider will be in a very large box in the back, rear seats folded down to accommodate.

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Sport S, ‘16 Silverado
Is the Mopar Sun Rider the premium Twill, or the Black Diamond when ordered at build ?I see on the Build, it's A $895 option, but the photo must be Black Diamond, as it has the gray underside. Hoping it's Twill from Mopar
Premium Twill

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
That is a BIG box ! Just picked up from a brand new JT, the owner says he will never use the Sunrider with his hardtop. I will install it the first sunny day we get. Before Spring, I hope

Jeep Wrangler JL Sunrider for Freedom top, give me the good, the bad and the ugly. PXL_20211205_202151465_resized

Jeep Wrangler JL Sunrider for Freedom top, give me the good, the bad and the ugly. PXL_20211205_202200171_resized

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Question ; waiting for Spring to install this, no way.
No access to heated space, so out in the cold.
Has anyone installed in the cold 30s-40s - with no issues ?
Twill, figure on running heater.
Thanks in advance

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question ; waiting for Spring to install this, no way.
No access to heated space, so out in the cold.
Has anyone installed in the cold 30s-40s - with no issues ?
Twill, figure on running heater.
Thanks in advance
@four low

I am in Upstate NY in the Winter lots each year... and drive to and from the other States often....

I keep my Bestop Sunrider/Twill on, 365 days of the year and have done so for years.. It does well in all temps....

My JL warms up just fine inside in low low Upstate NY temps... The SR handles the Upstate NY, snow without problem.

You will have no issues doing the install in 40 degree temps..

Before install, I would then take a few minutes and apply 303 Fabric Guard to the Twill... You can do this in your unheated garage, even in the kitchen... 8-)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JG3OHVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jeep Wrangler JL Sunrider for Freedom top, give me the good, the bad and the ugly.

After the 303 drys, ...... then, carry it outside and install the SR... Install onto the JL will take less then 15 min....

Hint.. In the Winter, on the warmer days, wash off any road salt that may have gotten up on the SR. That calcium chloride or whatever they use could quite possibly eat at/discolor the Twill... even though the Twill is quality/very durable....

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thank you ! I can't wait to install this, flipping open in a snowstorm is fun. I could and did, lower the convertible top on my PT Cruiser in the winter. Twill fabric top, glass rear window. Great heater too

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
my biggest regret is selling the sunrider.. to install my rhino rack.. i should've shortened the rack to make it work
Sponsored