Sponsored

Sunrider for Freedom top, give me the good, the bad and the ugly.

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Does anyone know if there any thoughts to make a 4 door version, i.e. it folds back twice to allow the whole cabin open?
Sponsored

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Sport S, ‘16 Silverado
Does anyone know if there any thoughts to make a 4 door version, i.e. it folds back twice to allow the whole cabin open?
The problem with what you are asking is the roof over the rear seats is part of the top so you'd have to modify the hard top, replace the hard top or some other major construction thing and at that point you'd be further ahead to go soft top.

Make sense? With the removable freedom panels a soft top panel is "easy" to do.

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
The problem with what you are asking is the roof over the rear seats is part of the top so you'd have to modify the hard top, replace the hard top or some other major construction thing and at that point you'd be further ahead to go soft top.

Make sense? With the removable freedom panels a soft top panel is "easy" to do.
Yeah, mental lapse there for a second.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I love my Bestop Twill Sunrider. One of my favorite mods to my Jeep. I had the dual top options with my Jeep. Loved the soft top, but I would only use it a few times during the year as I would take it back off and put the hard top back on for when we travel.... We travel a lot. Often when we would get home, I would just leave the Jeep topless and not reinstall the soft top. I think the soft top was on the Jeep maybe a total of 4 weeks over two years. I sold the soft top and bought the Sunrider. I open the Sunrider almost every time I drive the Jeep as long as the Michigan weather permits it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sunrider for Freedom top, give me the good, the bad and the ugly. 1631931779981

Sponsored

drgreyjeep

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
FYI…as of this morning (9/12/21), Amazon has the Bestop Sunrider (black twill) on sale for $764.99. Just placed my order. Cheapest I’ve seen and I’ve been waiting for a price drop like this. I verified it’s “new” vs used. I was a little concerned because it said it’s being fulfilled by “Taktic 4x4”, but when I clicked on the seller, it said the detailed seller name is Quadratec. Interesting b/c on the Quadratec web site, they are still listed at the standard $899 selling price. Looking forward to installing the Sunrider when it arrives!

Jeep Wrangler JL Sunrider for Freedom top, give me the good, the bad and the ugly. 1631931779981
2 door or 4 door?

mopac001

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Sahara Snazzberry
FYI…as of this morning (9/12/21), Amazon has the Bestop Sunrider (black twill) on sale for $764.99. Just placed my order. Cheapest I’ve seen and I’ve been waiting for a price drop like this. I verified it’s “new” vs used. I was a little concerned because it said it’s being fulfilled by “Taktic 4x4”, but when I clicked on the seller, it said the detailed seller name is Quadratec. Interesting b/c on the Quadratec web site, they are still listed at the standard $899 selling price. Looking forward to installing the Sunrider when it arrives!

I guess I was too late. I can't find this deal on Amazon - just $899

I do find at https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-sunrider-top-82216370aa they have it 10% off - $805.50 I'm guessing 82216370aa is Black Twill but it doesn't state it clearly. Does anyone know if that Mopar number is for Black Twill?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I guess I was too late. I can't find this deal on Amazon - just $899

I do find at https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-sunrider-top-82216370aa they have it 10% off - $805.50 I'm guessing 82216370aa is Black Twill but it doesn't state it clearly. Does anyone know if that Mopar number is for Black Twill?
@mopac001

Problem with the Mopar, SR offering is it only has a one year warranty...... versus an unconditional lifetime warranty on the Twill SR, sold by Bestop which is the same SR as the Mopar one.

Why would you want a lifetime warranty.... Well, because many have had the z-clip on the sunrider quit just after a years of use.. (Known Achilles heal) Bestop does not try to fix the z-clip...they replace the whole SR on their dime.... yes you can do a jury rig fix of sorts of the z-clip yourself but it is not the way to go...

With that said you are far better off / wiser to buy the SR from Bestop even if it does cost you say a hundred more...

mopac001

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@mopac001

Problem with the Mopar, SR offering is it only has a one year warranty...... versus an unconditional lifetime warranty on the Twill SR, sold by Bestop which is the same SR as the Mopar one.

Why would you want a lifetime warranty.... Well, because many have had the z-clip on the sunrider quit just after a years of use.. (Known Achilles heal) Bestop does not try to fix the z-clip...they replace the whole SR on their dime.... yes you can do a jury rig fix of sorts of the z-clip yourself but it is not the way to go...

With that said you are far better off / wiser to buy the SR from Bestop even if it does cost you say a hundred more...

Well, that was simply awesome information. Thank you very much.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Sunrider is better than the full soft top because you can open/close it from the driver seat. Soft top needs you to stop and get out to operate.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, that was simply awesome information. Thank you very much.

@mopac001

I used the word "many" in my earlier post to you.... in regard to many having the z-clip fail....

--- Probably not many in regard to the number of Sunrider's sold but indeed many have had the issue of the z-clip breaking off the tension cable...

Can tell you the @Bestop for JL Hardtop is absolutely terrific.....a quality product with top notch warranty and Customer Support......... just wanted to clue you in so to speak in regard to something that could lets say possibly bite you in the butt..

To those that are considering buying a used Sunrider for Hardtop... Don't do it unless you get it way way cheap... like for $400.00 or less. Why ----> Bestop does not / will not... and rightfully so, warranty a SR that you were not the original purchaser of...

mopac001

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@mopac001

I used the word "many" in my earlier post to you.... in regard to many having the z-clip fail....

--- Probably not many in regard to the number of Sunrider's sold but indeed many have had the issue of the z-clip breaking off the tension cable...

Can tell you the @Bestop for JL Hardtop is absolutely terrific.....a quality product with top notch warranty and Customer Support......... just wanted to clue you in so to speak in regard to something that could lets say possibly bite you in the butt..

To those that are considering buying a used Sunrider for Hardtop... Don't do it unless you get it way way cheap... like for $400.00 or less. Why ----> Bestop does not / will not... and rightfully so, warranty a SR that you were not the original purchaser of...

So the only question left to ask, particularly since it's already the second day of fall and days are already getting cool here in Missouri, is whether Bestop ever does sales like for Black Friday? I'm not in a huge hurry like I might be at the beginning of summer. Is it worth waiting?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the only question left to ask, particularly since it's already the second day of fall and days are already getting cool here in Missouri, is whether Bestop ever does sales like for Black Friday? I'm not in a huge hurry like I might be at the beginning of summer. Is it worth waiting?
@mopac001

Well...... Yes, you do occasionally see them go on sale so to speak.... but there has been a rumor circulating that Bestop will be raising the price of the Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop in Oct. 2021, I think it was..

Not mentioned much ...... but Bestop offers a 10% Military Discount (Past or Present Military) if you call their CS and ask for same.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
I included it on the build of my XR.

We have pretty harsh winters, so I plan to run the Freedom Panels about 5 months, and Sun Rider the other 7. Absolutely love the concept.
Sponsored