Sponsored

Sunrider for Freedom top, give me the good, the bad and the ugly.

OP
OP
Riperoo

Riperoo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Sahara Altitude Diesel
It works really well. Very fast to open and close. In the mtns. with the rain coming and going as fast as it does the top works really nice. The panels while not difficult aren't nearly as convenient. We have opened and closed ours many time on trips to the hills.

1624996833782.png
Great looking Rubi. Love those lights.
Sponsored

el_guapo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Dodge Viper, JLU 392

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Love our Sunrider but it has some disadvantages. I can't use a roof rack withthe Sunrider, as I do with the Freedom tops, it isn't hard to remove, with the help of an assistant, when taking a trip with the kayaks.
It is much warmer in the summer and noisier in all conditions.
On the positive side, the Sunrider eliminates carrying the Freedom Panels, a plus in our 2-door, and it cuts a few pounds off the overall weight.
With the Freedom Panels, there were many times we wanted the view but didn't want to deal with removing them for a short drive. The Sunrider is always available to quickly open or close.
@LazyJL

Actually, the Bestop Sunrider for JL Hardtop is a tad heavier then the total weight of your 2 Freedom Panels.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
@LazyJL

Actually, the Sunrider for JL Hardtop is heavier then the total weight of your Freedom Panels.

Really? I take mine off in the winter months and it doesn't feel nearly as heavy ad the freedom panels in the carrying case.
Not doubting you, just interesting.

Sam

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really? I take mine off in the winter months and it doesn't feel nearly as heavy ad the freedom panels in the carrying case.
Not doubting you, just interesting.

Sam
@SSWIM

I posted a link earlier in this thread... If you want to read through all 36 pages the weights of both and talk about weights is mentioned in there somewhere...

We went back and forth with the Bestop Rep back then regarding actual weights and a discrepancy in what she had posted in regard to weights.

I'm not going to re-read the whole thread .... 8-) Shipping weight of Sunrider is 38# (includes weight of packaging) and a Freedom panel weighs about 12 lbs+-. each.

Sponsored

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
@SSWIM

I posted a link earlier in this thread... If you want to read through all 36 pages the weights of both and talk about weights is mentioned in there somewhere...

We went back and forth with the Bestop Rep back then regarding actual weights and a discrepancy in what she had posted in regard to weights.

I'm not going to re-read the whole thread .... 8-) Shipping weight of Sunrider is 38# (includes weight of packaging) and a Freedom panel weighs about 12 lbs+-. each.

Well I'll be. Learn something new everyday.

Sam

LazyJL

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2001 built XJ, 1997 near stock XJ
Occupation
Retired fabricator and mechanic

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just weighted the Freedom Panels, in their bag, 35-lbs.
Quadratech shows the JL Sunrier's shipping weight as 30-lbs.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/bestop/twill-sunrider-hardtop-20-jeep-wrangler-jl
Is their weight legit, who knows? I didn't weigh it when it was delivered.
@LazyJL

Not that it really matters... but...

Yes, the weight difference is only a "tad" ....

IF you weight your driver's side Freedom Panel on your 2 dr. JL it weighs 11.6 lbs. approx. Then weight your passenger FP. Total weight of the 2 is not 35#. I have a 2 door and have weighed... Read through the thread I mention earlier and the weights are mentioned a few times..

Shipping weight of a SR in Twill is not 30#.

According to Quadratec shipping weight for the heavier Twill offering is 4# lighter then the light weight vinyl .................. Funny 8-)

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
@Riperoo …… the Sunrider is utterly terrific. I love mine. Probably my favorite mod on my jeep. i Use it so much, I probably have skin cancer now.

if you are a jeep jamboree attendee, bestop had 10%off coupons last year….. I don’t know about this year….

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Who cares about the weight, that to me does not matter. The SR is a bit louder than my FP and not as insulated but the tradeoff for the convenience is worth it and nothing to store in the Jeep.

We go to the beach a lot and always have it open but here on the Gulf storms pop up a lot and I have had to dash into a gas station or pullover to pull the FP out of the back and it’s really a pain but now I can just slow down or pullover if needed and flip a couple levers and done so well worth it.

Sponsored

AZ Great White

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Retired
Dollar for Dollar this is the best up grade. Been through many car washes and Monsoons with no leaks, very easy to install and enjoy sunshine when you desire it!
S

F0FF028A-6DFD-447F-AE16-E26C4EBEB32A.jpeg

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I love mine, I’m always opening and closing it. Super easy to do at a stop at an intersection.

Only downside is how much louder the wind noise is, but the pros far outweigh the cons.

griffinm

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
FYI…as of this morning (9/12/21), Amazon has the Bestop Sunrider (black twill) on sale for $764.99. Just placed my order. Cheapest I’ve seen and I’ve been waiting for a price drop like this. I verified it’s “new” vs used. I was a little concerned because it said it’s being fulfilled by “Taktic 4x4”, but when I clicked on the seller, it said the detailed seller name is Quadratec. Interesting b/c on the Quadratec web site, they are still listed at the standard $899 selling price. Looking forward to installing the Sunrider when it arrives!

Jeep Wrangler JL Sunrider for Freedom top, give me the good, the bad and the ugly. 7B45500A-B7B6-4C10-BB52-B5637CCFD7F4

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

FYI…as of this morning (9/12/21), Amazon has the Bestop Sunrider (black twill) on sale for $764.99. Just placed my order. Cheapest I’ve seen and I’ve been waiting for a price drop like this. I verified it’s “new” vs used. I was a little concerned because it said it’s being fulfilled by “Taktic 4x4”, but when I clicked on the seller, it said the detailed seller name is Quadratec. Interesting b/c on the Quadratec web site, they are still listed at the standard $899 selling price. Looking forward to installing the Sunrider when it arrives!

Jeep Wrangler JL Sunrider for Freedom top, give me the good, the bad and the ugly. 7B45500A-B7B6-4C10-BB52-B5637CCFD7F4
I've had mine for a few weeks now and it's fantastic. IMO this should really be how the hard top comes - just ditch the freedom panels altogether.

The noise difference is really unnoticeable unless you're listening for it, but the convenience far outweighs any other factor. Far, far outweighs.

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Sport S, ‘16 Silverado

Thanks for this. Just placed my order as well!!!
Sponsored