Sponsored

Sunrider for Freedom top, give me the good, the bad and the ugly.

Riperoo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Sahara Altitude Diesel
Ok, think I am pulling the trigger on the @Bestop sunrider twill, like to get everyone's feed back.

After driving my JLU for a week or so, thinking this may be the best option, at least for a year or two before i retire and go full soft top, have some storage issues curretnly, need my son to clear out his project car from my side of the garage!!! And I drive my vehicles solo probably 80% of the time, as much as going full topless would be great, in reality, just having the freedom top open is more than enough for just me currently. But stowing those sucker twice a day for parking at work is a bit of pain and they take up the whole cargo area.

Does Bestop ever run any discounts or is the price the price? And I suppose a gray top to match the sting gray would be too much to ask!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Ok, think I am pulling the trigger on the @Bestop sunrider twill, like to get everyone's feed back.

After driving my JLU for a week or so, thinking this may be the best option, at least for a year or two before i retire and go full soft top, have some storage issues curretnly, need my son to clear out his project car from my side of the garage!!! And I drive my vehicles solo probably 80% of the time, as much as going full topless would be great, in reality, just having the freedom top open is more than enough for just me currently. But stowing those sucker twice a day for parking at work is a bit of pain and they take up the whole cargo area.

Does Bestop ever run any discounts or is the price the price? And I suppose a gray top to match the sting gray would be too much to ask!
@Riperoo

Bestop SR is terrific!!

@Bestop does offer military and first responder discounts through their Customer Service though.

Just be sure to order the Twill !

And..... before you do the SR install, read all the pages here, especially say the last 20 pages...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-sunrider-for-hardtop-for-the-all-new-jeep®-wrangler-jl-is-here.14932/

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Best investment I made for my JLU and previous JKU. The ease with which you can open and close the top is fantastic. The stock freedom panels are a pain. I run with mine installed year round and it has held up beautifully. I need the security of a hard top and the Sunrider gives me the flexibility of a soft top.

Does Bestop ever run any discounts or is the price the price?
They do run sales or promos occasionally.

griffinm

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I had a Bestop Sunrider on my JK and loved it. I’m currently saving up (and waiting for a sale) to get one for my JLU. The only negative with the Sunrider (and any soft top for that matter) is the increase in outside noise and wind noise. I don’t find it that much of an increase with the Sunrider but it is an increase worth noting. Also, on hot days, you will feel some radiant heat above your head (with the top closed). I’d say that’s to be expected with a soft top, and the AC on my JK had no problem keeping the inside cool. The twill (vs the cheaper option) is definitely the route to go and is well worth the extra $100. The overall quality of the Bestop Sunrider is excellent. Flipping the top back in less than 15 seconds was such a nice option to have.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Back in March, I spent a week in Hawaii with a rental JLU and while I loved *the idea* of the Freedom Panels, in practice I found them to be a big headache. They're *huge* and don't really fit in the cargo area easily, especially if you have other stuff back there. The Sunrider is the perfect solution to this - all the benefits of the Freedom Panels with none of the headache.

I pick my JLUSA up in a few weeks and am planning to just get the Sunrider right from the dealer and leave the Freedom Panels at home permanently. I live in Texas, so it's highly possible that I can just leave the Sunrider on year-round.

I had a chance to play with one at a recent off-road event, and the build quality, ease of opening/closing, etc left me really impressed. Haven't had a chance to hit highway speeds with one just yet but can't imagine it'll be bad enough to cancel out the other benefits.

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I almost went with the sunrider for all the great reasons stated above. We went full soft top instead because this is a garage kept extra vehicle used in a rural area. Theft isn't a big issue around here and the safari position is awesome, full top down even better. I bought the Lange hoist which stores the hardtop nicely.

Sounds like the sunrider is a perfect fit for your needs though until you can go full soft top. The freedom panels, while a neat idea are pretty cumbersome and in our 2 door they seriously limit cargo carrying. You will get a lot more sun time with the sunrider!

DHahn

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU Sahara 2.0T Mojito Green
I also picked up a sunrider for the reasons you brought up, the freedom panels weren't difficult but there had to be a better option. I love the sunrider and there really aren't many negatives to it. Two were already brought up, a little heat in sunlight or a hot day, no biggie since the AC keeps up and the noise which I don't find to be too loud at all.

The only other thing I've noticed that did not happen with the freedom panels is that it seems to be a bug catch all. Not only that I've had bees hit it and fall into the Jeep, only one of them dead, and actually got stung by one of them. Plus the bug impacts need to be wiped off now and then.

Outside of that or maybe despite those issues I think the sunrider is great. It's quick and easy to open up and close when you want, doesn't leak, and makes me forget that I kinda wish I had gotten the Sky one touch. I think you'll be really happy with it.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I too almost went with this, BUT found a BNIB twill soft top on Craigslist for the same amount of coin. Got both tops now and couldn't be happier!

Last edited by a moderator:

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
You won't regret the Sunrider. One of the top changes and most utilized features on my Jeep. Takes all but a few seconds to operate, etc., etc.

It's just a great example of a well thought out product that adds value to the vehicle experience.

I also found that the inside Temps in summer are much cooler with it. Doesn't soak up and hold onto heat like the freedom panels do.

Sponsored

dennis2society

First Name
dennis2society
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys - SOT - Etorque V6
Occupation
Procrastinator
Loved it while i had on my 2020 JLU. Parked outside with it on for 1 year thru heat, rain, and snow - no issues. Definitely louder than hardtop but i found tradeoffs well worth it. Love that I could open and close if less than 30mph.

I was originally worried about bird poop (b/c of outdoor parking) but no real damage done - seemed to wipe right off the twill material without stains. Only longterm sticky debris i noticed on sunrider was from pollen (which can be wiped/vacuumed off.)

TLDR: Loved it and no regrets. Would still use daily if didn't trade in the 2020 hardtop for a 2021 with SOT.

dennis2society

First Name
dennis2society
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys - SOT - Etorque V6
Occupation
Procrastinator
My biggest fear would be pulling in the garage with it open and whacking my lift, but I am in the process of getting that Miata up another notch, give me plenty of clearance.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sunrider for Freedom top, give me the good, the bad and the ugly. jeep garage
Nice - sweet garage.

at first I thought this was the ultimate roof rack...
Crazy how miata can almost fit inside jeep cabin.

LazyJL

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2001 built XJ, 1997 near stock XJ
Occupation
Retired fabricator and mechanic
Love our Sunrider but it has some disadvantages. I can't use a roof rack withthe Sunrider, as I do with the Freedom tops, it isn't hard to remove, with the help of an assistant, when taking a trip with the kayaks.
It is much warmer in the summer and noisier in all conditions.
On the positive side, the Sunrider eliminates carrying the Freedom Panels, a plus in our 2-door, and it cuts a few pounds off the overall weight.
With the Freedom Panels, there were many times we wanted the view but didn't want to deal with removing them for a short drive. The Sunrider is always available to quickly open or close.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
It works really well. Very fast to open and close. In the mtns. with the rain coming and going as fast as it does the top works really nice. The panels while not difficult aren't nearly as convenient. We have opened and closed ours many time on trips to the hills.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sunrider for Freedom top, give me the good, the bad and the ugly. 1624996833782
Sponsored