Sponsored

Sunrider for Freedom top, give me the good, the bad and the ugly.

drgreyjeep

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Cheapest site to buy from?

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Sport S, ‘16 Silverado
Cheapest site to buy from?
It’s pretty much the same no matter where you buy it.

Put mine together today, still waiting on the Jeep to be delivered however.

Question: I know to keep the yellow bag to store it in but do you store it open or closed and use the Velcro straps to strap it “closed”? That’s what I did, and it fit and worked great, but I’m curious what others do.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
It’s pretty much the same no matter where you buy it.

Put mine together today, still waiting on the Jeep to be delivered however.

Question: I know to keep the yellow bag to store it in but do you store it open or closed and use the Velcro straps to strap it “closed”? That’s what I did, and it fit and worked great, but I’m curious what others do.
@miweber929

When storing does not matter... open , closed, strapped. Personal Preference... Watch where you store though..... as rodents find the SR very tasty...

About the strap.... you do not need to use it when your SR is open and you are driving your JL.
Bestop sends the strap but even their rep says no reason to use it.... No one that I know uses it...

ALSO..... since you are awaiting your JL... and if you have time... NOW, before you install the SR is a very good time... probably the best time to treat the SR with 303 Fabric Guard. Treat the top before install and then every few months based on your use....

Why bother to treat with Fabric Guard before install... because it is easier to do when you have the SR open on your garage floor and because..... IMPORTANT ..... you want to keep the Fabric Guard off of a vehicles window glass and paint.

https://www.amazon.com/303-Fabric-U...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HW189QXWY8W2K5HNERRP

Jeep Wrangler JL Sunrider for Freedom top, give me the good, the bad and the ugly. 71wuiHt-3+L._AC_SL1500_

Sponsored

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Sport S, ‘16 Silverado
@miweber929

When storing does not matter... open , closed, strapped. Personal Preference... Watch though as rodents find the SR tasty...

About the strap.... you do not need to use it when your SR is open and you are driving your JL.
Bestop sends the strap but even their rep says no reason to use it.... No one that I know uses it...

ALSO..... since you are awaiting your JL... and if you have time... NOW, before you install the SR is a very good time... probably the best time to treat the SR with 303 Fabric Guard. Treat the top before install and then every few months based on your use....

Why bother to treat with Fabric Guard before install... because it is easier to do when you have the SR open on your garage floor and because IMPORTANT ..... you want to keep the Fabric Guard off of a vehicles window glass and paint.

https://www.amazon.com/303-Fabric-U...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HW189QXWY8W2K5HNERRP

Jeep Wrangler JL Sunrider for Freedom top, give me the good, the bad and the ugly. 71wuiHt-3+L._AC_SL1500_
Thanks!!! I knew about the Velcro while in use but everything else is new info so i appreciate the heads up.

I should have some 303 in the garage from my hybrid camper, I’ll look for it later or throw some on order.

Again, thanks for the info!!!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Amazon warehouse deals, look for packaging damaged. I got one for $515 in twill that had a small gouge in the outer cardboard box but was otherwise new inside
5% off if you buy with Amazon charge card too...

Nice part too is... if you have Prime and the SR comes and is not aok, you just return the friggin thing on their dime.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@miweber929

Also, do peel off (comes off easily from a new SR) the eye sore, gaudy, sizeable, white sticker on the SR frame. When the SR is open and you see the sticker it looks like chitt..

Myself and other's also removed the Bestop logo from each side of the SR. Looks better without the logo and I for one do not like logo after logo displayed on my vehicle..

The logo, prys off easily. Just use a plastic pry tool or plastic knife and pry it up a bit on one end.... then you just grab it firmly and pull. My Bestop logos are on my tool chest..

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Circling back around to this - I could foresee using this, especially on trips where I will have my hard top on. I'm in the South and run hardtop pretty much October - April, Bikini top/no doors the remainder with Armorlite interior, so I'm not worried about getting rained on.

My question is - I'm going to run roof racks for surfboards/gear on the hard top. With the JL I can place those racks further back. obviously I wouldn't open it with boards on.

Is anyone running this with the Mopar roof racks or any roof rack on the larger portion of the hard top?

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Circling back around to this - I could foresee using this, especially on trips where I will have my hard top on. I'm in the South and run hardtop pretty much October - April, Bikini top/no doors the remainder with Armorlite interior, so I'm not worried about getting rained on.

My question is - I'm going to run roof racks for surfboards/gear on the hard top. With the JL I can place those racks further back. obviously I wouldn't open it with boards on.

Is anyone running this with the Mopar roof racks or any roof rack on the larger portion of the hard top?
I have the Rhino Rack Backbone System with three HD Crossbars. It opens just fine.

If you're going to use gutter mount racks, you should have plenty of room to allow it to open up.

Sponsored

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
I have the Rhino Rack Backbone System with three HD Crossbars. It opens just fine.

If you're going to use gutter mount racks, you should have plenty of room to allow it to open up.
That's what I was wondering, cool, add it to the list.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

maybe a silly question but if you order the SR with your jeep, does it still come with the freedom panels? i would imagine it does but have to ask.

like if you order the mopar rubber floor mats you dont get the cloth ones as well.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe a silly question but if you order the SR with your jeep, does it still come with the freedom panels? i would imagine it does but have to ask.

like if you order the mopar rubber floor mats you dont get the cloth ones as well.
@JLUin818

Yes, you do also get the Freedom Panels... The JL/JLU leaves factory with the Freedom Panels in place/on and the Sunrider for Hardtop, is in a cardboard box in the back of the JL/JLU.

Personally, I would not buy the Sunrider for Hardtop with the factory ordered JL. Warranty on the same Twill, Sunrider for Hardtop is an unlimited lifetime warranty and the factory warranty not so.

Sunrider for Hardtop is terrific though so do get one... 8-)

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

@JLUin818

Yes, you do also get the Freedom Panels... The JL/JLU leaves factory with the Freedom Panels in place/on and the Sunrider for Hardtop, is in a cardboard box in the back of the JL/JLU.

Personally, I would not buy the Sunrider for Hardtop with the factory ordered JL. Warranty on the same Twill, Sunrider for Hardtop is an unlimited lifetime warranty and the factory warranty not so.

Sunrider for Hardtop is terrific though so do get one... 8-)

yeah, i saw that posted above. that is amazing information that should be stickied! lol. i would absolutely do that if i were to get one. now im trying to decide between hard top and soft top. just posted a thread about it in the general section.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase

The Sunrider isn't a Jeep product, so you can't order it with your Jeep. It's a replacement for the freedom panels that come on the Jeep hard top, from BestTop.
Sponsored