Sun shades for sky one touch roofs

Phoneboy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Willys
Here are a few tips for the Sky One-Touch installation.

First off, the installation video for the normal Jeep is accurate. When I first did my installation, I got a little confused on how and where to pull the bungees through, but the video made it so much clearer. Placing the T-bungees in the proper places (using the windshield bolt locations) is correct and does work with the power top.

What worked best for me, was to make sure the power top is all the way open. When open, its easier to get the bungees placed. With the top open, its also easier to see the slim gap between the power top frame and the top of the windshield.

The installation tool is critical (the white plastic strip that comes with the 2-piece top). There is no need to lower the windshield. The bungees will fit between the power top frame and the top of the windshield. It is tight, but using the installation tool allows for the tool to be threaded between the power top and the top of the windshield. Then, with some muscle, pulling the installation tool, you can pull the bungee through. Once the bungee is through, I attached the plastic clip as directed in the installation instructions and allowed the clip to slide into place. Once the clip is in place, I attached the T-bungee through the grommet, completing the front installation.

I've had the sunshades off, and when doing so, I just leave the t-bungees in place, making it easier to re-install the shades when needed.

The sunshade front (windshield area) is the tightest spot (meaning, the area with the slimmest gap between the power top frame) but with the installation tool, the bungee will pull through.

Hope this helps.
Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG
Slide3.JPG
Slide4.JPG
Slide5.JPG
Slide6.JPG
Slide8.JPG
Slide7.JPG
Slide9.JPG
Thank you for the great write up. Can you send me a link to the alien sunshade you ordered? Was it the one piece or the 2 piece. I have a 21 wrangler JLU with Sky onetouch. Thanks

ekoii

First Name
Emmitt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Amazon has them on sale for $99 (for the Front & Rear split set). Looks like the same kit I bought a few years ago (mine is still holding up strong, by the way). Here is how they are listed. Looks like they have several colors to pick from.

Alien Sunshade Jeep Wrangler JLU (2018 - Current) – Front & Rear Mesh Sun Shade for Jeep JL Unlimited - Blocks UV, Wind, Noise - Bikini JLkini Top Cover for Sport, Sport S, Sahara, Rubicon
https://www.amazon.com/Alien-Sunsha...3d670b6bc&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Good luck!

Phoneboy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Willys
Amazon has them on sale for $99 (for the Front & Rear split set). Looks like the same kit I bought a few years ago (mine is still holding up strong, by the way). Here is how they are listed. Looks like they have several colors to pick from.

Alien Sunshade Jeep Wrangler JLU (2018 - Current) – Front & Rear Mesh Sun Shade for Jeep JL Unlimited - Blocks UV, Wind, Noise - Bikini JLkini Top Cover for Sport, Sport S, Sahara, Rubicon
https://www.amazon.com/Alien-Sunshade-Jeep-Wrangler-2018/dp/B07JMFCXD9/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3UAM0G87513V2&keywords=alien+sunshade&qid=1687971644&sprefix=alian+sun,aps,95&sr=8-2-spons&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Good luck!
Just ordered. Thank you. Do the straps on the sides impead the weather stripping on the doors? It looks like on Amazon the door closes against the elastic strap

ekoii

First Name
Emmitt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just ordered. Thank you. Do the straps on the sides impead the weather stripping on the doors? It looks like on Amazon the door closes against the elastic strap
I haven't had any issues with rubbing. The bungee cords fit into place and cause no issues with the top or doors. You will want to adjust or center the sunscreen to your liking. I try to center mine and it works well and does its job blocking the sun. I've seen some complaints about the two piece not fitting as close to the front, above the front seats, but I start with the front bungees and work my way around the sunscreen finishing with the rear loops and it fits nicely to the front. I remove mine occasionally to wash it after running with the top open for several days to wash the dust off. I haven't had any trouble re-installing it afterwards.

Sponsored

Rubicon24

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On Order
Installed one about 2 weeks ago. Easy install and great fit, very pleased
I can’t for the life of me get the front part of the hotheads sunshade to install. It won’t go between the front roll bar section. Any tips? For me it seems there’s simply not a gap to put the fabric through.

Mperk8

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Tuscadero, 2022 JL sport
I can’t for the life of me get the front part of the hotheads sunshade to install. It won’t go between the front roll bar section. Any tips? For me it seems there’s simply not a gap to put the fabric through.
I can’t really remember having any problems with the install, I just watched the installation video on the hotheads site
Sponsored