Sun shade for JL Wrangler

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
I want one that you don't have to do anything to when lowering a soft top, just leave as.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Question for everyone running some type of sunshade, does it take away from the topless feel and experience? I never had on on my 4 door but want to find one for the new 2 door.
It's definitely more open than having the top up. It still feels like a convertible. I would prefer no shade but when it is 90+ like today it is really too hot for the top down. Running a shade has been much more comfortable.

Rubicam

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I put my Dirty Dog 2-part shade on yesterday. We have temps in the low-90s this weekend so it should be a good test.

I will update this post when I have a little more experience. I will also take some pictures today. So far, I will say I am mildly disappointed in the front and very disappointed in the rear. I made some adjustments to the rear last night so I am going to give it another chance but if it is not better I can't see keeping it on.

Pros
---------------------------
- Still like the 2-part system for me. I rarely have back-seat passengers
- Good construction. Solid straps and good ladderloc clips. No nylon bungee things that will wear and break over time
- Easy/quick to install or remove. This is my first experience with a shade and I don't think I will want it on all the time. Only 6 straps with clips. With practice I think I could install/remove the front in less than 5 minutes
- Does seem to reduce heat and some wind noise, which is why I got it
- More like a bikini. Not as significant as the Jtop. For some that would be a negative but for me a positive

Cons
-----------------------------
- The challenge with the JL is creating a top that has attachments at the front and back and does not interfere with the hard or soft top operation. The vendors have had to be creative with their solutions. Dirty Dog's solution? They just didn't put any attachments in the front and back! The result is a lot of gaps, a little bit of flapping, and the top is not tight so it droops just a little. You OCD folks should just move right along.
- I don't mind the fact that there are some gaps but they do seem to let sun through right where my arms and hands are when driving. I have naturally dark skin but part of the idea of the top is still to protect it.
- The instructions for the back showed a way to install that doesn't work because the straps are shorter than the ones in the instructions. I got it to install a different way but it was a loose, loud, flapping mess. I made some adjustments that I hope will help otherwise it is unusable
- This is one of those products where an install video would be much better than written instructions. I am sure it is coming because they have them for their other products.

Overall I think I will keep the front at least because it works for me but I will be keeping an eye out for other solutions.
I had to order a Dirty dog since JTops refused to ship to Canada or even send me samples. I'd likely have arranged for stateside shipping provided I could see some samples though.

Anyway, not too happy to hear about the droop issue, hopefully i'll be able to live with it.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I had to order a Dirty dog since JTops refused to ship to Canada or even send me samples. I'd likely have arranged for stateside shipping provided I could see some samples though.

Anyway, not too happy to hear about the droop issue, hopefully i'll be able to live with it.
Which version did it get?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
IMG_1875.JPG
IMG_1876.JPG
IMG_1877.JPG
IMG_1878.JPG
IMG_1879.JPG
IMG_1882.JPG
IMG_1884.JPG
IMG_1885.JPG
IMG_1886.JPG
IMG_1888.JPG
I suck at taking pictures but here are some.

All my tweaking has made the back slightly better but still pretty flappy. I did get up to around 70 and it wasn't worse. I think the front shade is pretty usable.

Sponsored

Rubicam

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Thanks for the pictures.

I see what you men about droopy. Part of the reason I went with Dirty Dog was to allow either front or rear use, as in one without the other.

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
Question for everyone running some type of sunshade, does it take away from the topless feel and experience? I never had on on my 4 door but want to find one for the new 2 door.
Yes, especially at night and early morning/late evening. However, as ThirtyOne correctly pointed out, it's much more open feeling than having the top up/on. During the midday sun, it feels at least 10 degrees cooler in the interior with the shade on. Also, leaving it parked in a hot parking lot isn't a skin melting experience as it is with no top. Keeps the leaves, sticks and bird dirt off the seats, as well.

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Thanks guys

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Ok, and just the obligatory dumb question: obviously these shade tops do nothing for rain, correct? They (Jtops) don't offer any materials that would keep some rain out?

Sponsored

Abilene

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport, 2016 JK Sahara, 2018 JL Rubicon

Sir this is Mike from JTopsUSA, our samples are always free and you are able to order them from our website. We send out dozens of requests a week.
We also do ship to Canada although the shipping cost is high. We shipped two customer orders last week.. You can also order our products through Extreme Terrain and they also ship to Canada.

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
Ok, and just the obligatory dumb question: obviously these shade tops do nothing for rain, correct? They (Jtops) don't offer any materials that would keep some rain out?
Some rain at speed, yes. When stopped, little rain protection

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I would love to see some pics of a titanium shade on a granite jeep. Maybe I'll be able to stop stalking this thread.

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
Ordered my JTOP yesterday after having Spider Webs shades, and Dirty dog, to me all the features of the JTOP by far are so much better.
I wanted Titanium to go with Granite CM, then Red but settled on black as I have black leather and will serve as a headliner as well a shade.

The fact I can leave it on with HT or Soft Top or nothing and fits the exact shape of the roll bar with aluminum rods build in and the new tri buckles with magnets. I used the forum code and basically covered shipping.

Will give review when I get it later.
Sponsored