First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 2012 QX56
Occupation
CEO
"Soooooo....it's $10 more for titanium....which costs you twice as much in material as a color......So your material cost is only $20 of the $259? lol"

Quite possible/probable that they have lower profit margins on the more expensive shade.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
"Soooooo....it's $10 more for titanium....which costs you twice as much in material as a color......So your material cost is only $20 of the $259? lol"

Quite possible/probable that they have lower profit margins on the more expensive shade.
True....but let's say of the $249 normal price, and $120 is the cost of material. If it's double the cost, the cost of Titanium is $240.....and yet the sales price is only 259?

aCeMedic13

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
No windshield attachments supposedly. Access to freedom panels. Interested in seeing what they’ve come up with.

1FA07F42-E7EE-435E-866C-065BD2D6B9AF.png

Sponsored

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
True....but let's say of the $249 normal price, and $120 is the cost of material. If it's double the cost, the cost of Titanium is $240.....and yet the sales price is only 259?
I don’t see what you’re trying to prove.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
I don’t see what you’re trying to prove.
Absolutely nothing. I work in quoting business in the auto industry so that just popped out at me. Twice the cost of material but only $10 increase, that's all, just bored and playing with numbers lol

Malve

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CEO
Guessing it's more $25-50 in the low side... $ 40-80 on the high side. Add in other materials and labor and maybe they get close to a 50% margin on the direct cost on the product. Then add in employee benefits, rent, utilities and a host of other costs and maybe they aren't printing money over there.

And if they DO offer the highest quality product for the bitchenest vehicle available, pay their employees well AND make heaps of profits...Win/win for everyone!!!!

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
You can request sample fabrics from JTOPS. You can see that the titanium one that blocks 90% has a tighter weave. I wish they had this weave pattern in black as well, but they don't.

IMG_4250.jpg

IMG_4251.jpg

IMG_4252.jpg

IMG_4253.jpg

Malve

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CEO
Wonder if that tighter weave would block more settling dust/dirt, pollen, bird poop and very light drizzle. Theoretically, it should.

Sponsored

Abilene

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport, 2016 JK Sahara, 2018 JL Rubicon
Absolutely nothing. I work in quoting business in the auto industry so that just popped out at me. Twice the cost of material but only $10 increase, that's all, just bored and playing with numbers lol
This is Mike from JTops, The bottom line, the mesh is only a part of the cost. We use an extensive array of magnets, webbing, buckles and edge binding. Our tops also take a lot of sewing time! Unlike the bungee competitors that fold the edge of the mesh ours is a combination of mesh, webbing and a binding edge. There are three layers that encompass the entire perimeter. Our straps are individually attached and use an expensive resin two stage buckle and KKK TriGlide for the strap. We don't just pound a 5 cent grommet to the edge.
The reason we only charge a small up-charge...we absorb most of the extra cost. We feel it's important to provide a great product and profit margin is not the only thing that drives us.

Abilene

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport, 2016 JK Sahara, 2018 JL Rubicon
Black would work out well! That is what we have on our Jeep right now!

1E5DE488-366F-4B43-9BDB-8FA413557779.jpeg
This is Mike, we can send samples. It's such a personal decision it's hard for us to recommend.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I put my Dirty Dog 2-part shade on yesterday. We have temps in the low-90s this weekend so it should be a good test.

I will update this post when I have a little more experience. I will also take some pictures today. So far, I will say I am mildly disappointed in the front and very disappointed in the rear. I made some adjustments to the rear last night so I am going to give it another chance but if it is not better I can't see keeping it on.

Pros
---------------------------
- Still like the 2-part system for me. I rarely have back-seat passengers
- Good construction. Solid straps and good ladderloc clips. No nylon bungee things that will wear and break over time
- Easy/quick to install or remove. This is my first experience with a shade and I don't think I will want it on all the time. Only 6 straps with clips. With practice I think I could install/remove the front in less than 5 minutes
- Does seem to reduce heat and some wind noise, which is why I got it
- More like a bikini. Not as significant as the Jtop. For some that would be a negative but for me a positive

Cons
-----------------------------
- The challenge with the JL is creating a top that has attachments at the front and back and does not interfere with the hard or soft top operation. The vendors have had to be creative with their solutions. Dirty Dog's solution? They just didn't put any attachments in the front and back! The result is a lot of gaps, a little bit of flapping, and the top is not tight so it droops just a little. You OCD folks should just move right along.
- I don't mind the fact that there are some gaps but they do seem to let sun through right where my arms and hands are when driving. I have naturally dark skin but part of the idea of the top is still to protect it.
- The instructions for the back showed a way to install that doesn't work because the straps are shorter than the ones in the instructions. I got it to install a different way but it was a loose, loud, flapping mess. I made some adjustments that I hope will help otherwise it is unusable
- This is one of those products where an install video would be much better than written instructions. I am sure it is coming because they have them for their other products.

Overall I think I will keep the front at least because it works for me but I will be keeping an eye out for other solutions.

pianomankd

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL - Sting Gray
This is Mike from JTops, how much is it worth to protect your new investment? We build a high quality product that will protect you and your Jeep. Think of it as spending $100 on each
What are you talking about? The guy was looking for prices and I linked him to one that was $99. Stop promoting yourself at my expense, I was simply helping another forumer.

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Question for everyone running some type of sunshade, does it take away from the topless feel and experience? I never had on on my 4 door but want to find one for the new 2 door.
Sponsored