Sun shade for JL Wrangler

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
The one that works with the freedom panels, i s not avaiable yet. Just like the soft tops preorder only. It said shipping starts June 29. I expect that time frame will be extended too, just like the soft tops.
Sponsored

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Anyone have the Mopar shade? I saw a picture of it awhile ago and can't find it now, but it looked awesome.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
I traded my BMW convertible for my Sahara, I always got burned on long drives in the Beemer. I made my own sun shade for the Wrangler for less than 30 bucks! I can keep it on and put the hard top over it. It does a great job of keeping the sun out of your eyes!
Topview.jpg
Seethru.jpg
Stuff.jpg

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
I bought a spiderweb shade recently for my JK, and for me, it took Waaaaaaay too much of the open air feel away for me. I love nothing more than as I am driving to just take a quick glance up at the sky, day or night, and revel in its beauty, and I found that the mesh shade ruined that for me.

That being said, my kids drive with me a fair amount, which is the primary reason why I got it. I figured I might use it occasionally when headed to the beach on the weekend in 100 degree heat, and being stuck in traffic. But the spiderweb shade isn't going to work for me, because I tried to roll it back to uncover the front and leave it over the kids, but I could not secure it well enough.

So, I am returning that, and buying the dirty dog one, which has a separate front and back, so I can keep it over the kids all the time, and only put the front on when I absolutely feel I need it.

and just one other thought on the spiderweb shade, they say you don't have to remove it to put the top up, but that is only partly true. You practically have to disconnect the whole front to get the latches to secure to the loops on the frame when putting your soft top back up. so then you either have the front hanging down, or you have to try to resecure after latching the soft top again. Not a MAJOR issue, but still a headache.
I had a spiderweb shade on my JK and like you, I thought it took away too much of the open air feeling. So I stopped using it. If it get's really too hot/too much sun then I just flip the soft top up without putting on the windows.

Joiky

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have the spiderwebshade, and so far am pretty fond of it. I also have little ones, and will be more inclined to leave the hardtop off for long stretches in the summer with the shade on. Also its quieter on the freeway, and keeps the interior temp down when parked out in the sun. On the flip side, it does reduce the open-air feeling a bit. Will see how it turns out in the long run!

shade.jpg
Looks good! How hard is it to put on/take off?

Sponsored

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
Looks good! How hard is it to put on/take off?
Thanks. Not hard at all to put on. Took about 20 minutes the first time, only because you have to screw in those silver nubbins into the plastic trim around the sport bar. You do have to move the windshield every time to install/remove. That's the only thing that keeps it from being something that can be done in under a minute.

GhostlyRides

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Sales Consultant
Hello All! I just wanted to provide more feedback on the new and improved ship ready version of the JL shade by JtopsUSA. As you can see in the pictures below Mike the owner, completely fixed the strap issue by adding TRi-Glides to hold back excess strap. Not only does this make it easier to use but also gets rid of the strap face smacking that was going on before. He also moved back the third strap to fit soft tops as well.

My wife and son took a short trip this weekend and went to a wildlife center where we drove through and had the top off for roughly two hours, when we pulled back the front half of the shade top you could immediately feel how much hotter the experience is without JtopsUSA shade protecting you from the sun. Overall loved the experience with this top so far, craftsman and customer service is above all else.

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
JTops is the most impressive so far, but the cost is too high for me to pull the trigger (not crazy about the $20 upcharge for a color either). I might cave if Alien’s offering doesn’t impress, but I’ll wait a bit longer to see.

joecitrix97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 YJ Sahara, '18 JLU Sahara
JTops is the most impressive so far, but the cost is too high for me to pull the trigger (not crazy about the $20 upcharge for a color either). I might cave if Alien’s offering doesn’t impress, but I’ll wait a bit longer to see.
Ditto. I am still extremely disappointed no 3rd party has offered a bikini top. I am waiting on Alien as well.

Sponsored

malencar

First Name
Mauro Alencar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Granite Crystal Metallic
Just pulled the trigger on a titanium-colored Jtops shade for my Granite JLUR.
Looks like nothing comes close in terms of quality, fit and finish.
Can't wait to receive it!

@Abilene do you guys have plans to make a matching Tonneau cover for the JLs? If so, any eta on timing?

Thanks in advance

Mauro

JTopsUSA

First Name
Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jtopsusa.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU 2014, Jeep JK 2015, Jeep JLU on order!
Occupation
Jeep® Wranger Soft Goods Manufacturer
@malencar, we do plan to make a new tonneau for the JL, but no release dates at this time. Currently we are working as hard as we can to get all the JL Safari Shade Top orders fulfilled as quickly as possible!

Please watch our JTopsUSA forum here for new product announcements. Since this is a thread in the general section, we aren’t really allowed to advertise here and don’t want to get in trouble for breaking the rules. :angel:

Thank you very much!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Picture of my Dirty Dog front shade below.

6351665E-BB13-49A5-B777-85117D39D932.jpeg
Thanks! Mine is still in the box. Got my Jeep on Wednesday and just haven't had time to put it on yet. I hope to do it this week.

crik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade; 2018 JLUS
I received my JTopsUSA sun shade last week. Love it. It is well made and fits very nicely, though there is a little issue around some of the soft-top window frame structure. (The frame has a couple of posts that stick up, which the JTop must lay over. Not a big deal, and doesn't effect the performance of the shade.)

I've had it on for about 5 days and a couple of day trips on sunny, 80 degree days. The week before I received it, I went of an hour or so drive on some back roads, with the top down, short sleeves, and got a fairly good sunburn. With the JTop, I get to enjoy the fresh air and get a nice amount of sun. It covers the entire top of the Jeep without gaps, save for one cut-out, which I presume is there for those with Freedom top panels. I've traveled up to 75 mph and there is no flapping, or other unusual noises. The magnets really keep it in place. It helps to dampen road and wind noise a bit too.

I have mounted the JTop under my Premium Soft-top and have no issues with putting the soft-top back in the sun-rider position, or all the way back. As others have noted, it is a bit pricey, but well worth it in my opinion.

norm807

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Punk'n Rubi
Thanks! Mine is still in the box. Got my Jeep on Wednesday and just haven't had time to put it on yet. I hope to do it this week.
Hard to tell from the picture, is it loose fitting, or pulled tight?
Sponsored