Sun shade for JL Wrangler

Let'sgo2...

First Name
K.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S (Bright White), 2015 Ford F150
I am a first time Wrangler owner out here in Vegas and wanted to get a bit of shade. Installed the Spiderweb shade last weekend, so far I love it. Took a drive through Red Rock Canyon and it definitely makes a difference in temperature and takes the edge off the sun beating on you. Ask me again in July when it is over 100 and feels like a frying pan... LOL... hoping for a little relief.
Sponsored

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I would agree that this for $320 or Spiderweb shade for $300, I would take this.
Yea I donā€™t disagree that itā€™s expensive but I figured itā€™s a good investment. Wheels will eventually cost me $2k since I want to go to 17s. I keep telling myself Iā€™m going to wait until my OEM tires are ready to be replaced...

greenegger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
You'll really only know once you drive it for a while. If you find yourself cowering in fear at the thought of flipping the top open and exposing yourself to the Big Orange Ball, then yeah - get one. If you find yourself heading out for 2 hour drives on beautiful sunny afternoons just because, then yeah - get one. If you find that the lack of sun shade in any way reduces the chances that you'll go topless - get one.

OTOH, I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles topless in many different vehicles and I love it - got a spyder shade for my kids in the JK.
thanks, this is really helpful. I'm just going to wait and see. I like the jtops, but I'm also considering a toplift so feels like this is an area to save some money. I might just get one of the dirty dog ones that only covers the kids and is a lot less money.

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
I bought a spiderweb shade recently for my JK, and for me, it took Waaaaaaay too much of the open air feel away for me. I love nothing more than as I am driving to just take a quick glance up at the sky, day or night, and revel in its beauty, and I found that the mesh shade ruined that for me.

That being said, my kids drive with me a fair amount, which is the primary reason why I got it. I figured I might use it occasionally when headed to the beach on the weekend in 100 degree heat, and being stuck in traffic. But the spiderweb shade isn't going to work for me, because I tried to roll it back to uncover the front and leave it over the kids, but I could not secure it well enough.

So, I am returning that, and buying the dirty dog one, which has a separate front and back, so I can keep it over the kids all the time, and only put the front on when I absolutely feel I need it.

and just one other thought on the spiderweb shade, they say you don't have to remove it to put the top up, but that is only partly true. You practically have to disconnect the whole front to get the latches to secure to the loops on the frame when putting your soft top back up. so then you either have the front hanging down, or you have to try to resecure after latching the soft top again. Not a MAJOR issue, but still a headache.

Sponsored

djmason9

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bitcowsStickers.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 door Rubi, 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Vehicle Showcase
I have the spidershade on my (just the front) it was $100 and you can keep it on all the time even with the hard top on. its a way better design than the JK version.

Uncreative

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
accountant
The Spiderwebshade is awesome. No flapping around at all. The only thing I wish was an easier way to take the front top panels off and put back on. Other than that, love it and donā€™t see why I would take it off.

C2427982-3F8F-4795-8E2E-2172DB20FC1E.jpeg
There were plenty of times I had to quickly remove the shade on my jkur. Mostly for certain parades or hauling things and occasionally because husband needed to drive it and he despised his head hitting it LOL

On jku, spider shade is way quieter than gear shade, so I would expect similar for my jlu, but I'm not going to buy anything that requires tools to remove.

Abilene

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport, 2016 JK Sahara, 2018 JL Rubicon
I am comfortable paying a reasonable premium for a company that takes pride in paying their employees fairly. Thank you for that.

My intention is to run topless most of the time but it would be nice to take shelter from the So Cal sun when I end up stuck for long periods. Would keeping the shade in the back and "throwing it on" occasionally be realistic?
To that end, what would it look like "down and stored"?
And
Roughly how many minutes to install once you get the hang of it?

Lastly, would it help at all in light rain?

Thanks
Male, it can be removed and installed in minutes. No tools or extras are required. It rolls up for storage since there is a 46 inch solid aluminum rod that runs the width. It ends up being about 6 inches in diameter. When driving in light rain you will feel a little mist but will remain quite dry for it being mesh. Heavy rain...not so good! Thanks for the question Mike

15D48A31-D858-446F-94C6-CE992EE5091A.jpeg

Abilene

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There were plenty of times I had to quickly remove the shade on my jkur. Mostly for certain parades or hauling things and occasionally because husband needed to drive it and he despised his head hitting it LOL

On jku, spider shade is way quieter than gear shade, so I would expect similar for my jlu, but I'm not going to buy anything that requires tools to remove.

Abilene

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Marty,

I strongly agree that JTops seems to have the highest quality product out there, but that is when you compare it to the other JK offerings.

Iā€™m just a little disappointed on their discount. Saving $15 (on a $250 purchase), without being able to compare it against other competitors, is not enough to push me into purchasing it today.

I also need to figure out what color I want to get. Getting the Titanium for the Granite seems like the way to go. Iā€™m not sure what I would get for my white JL with the black interior. I think black would look better, but the white will help reflect the heat.
This is Mike from JTops...here is a pic of how we fit. Our products use an extensive array of raw materials compared to the competition. We look at form, function and durability when designing a product. 9 neodymium magnets help it align, perimeter webbing with a finished binding helps in superior edge support. A solid 46ā€ 3/8 inch aluminum rod strategicly located to lock into the slight indentation on the front of the roll cage. Our windshield fitment is so unique we are in the process we are filing a patent. It also reques no tools, lowering of the windshiel or straps or hooks.
We rarely discount for the sheer fact it cost a lot to make our product. It is not a slice of square mesh with some simple burgess to keep it in place. Our margins are low and we price out product based on cost of materials and US labor. It itā€™s designed for a custom fit and takes a lot of swing to produce.
Thanks for the great questions! Here are a few pics...hope these help! Mike

By the way the titanium is awesome, we would be happy to send samples.

A10681FD-2B3D-44D7-9B2C-CF8942D15DBE.jpeg

AFE251B1-0E63-4FCB-88A5-080531743D96.jpeg

C6DC6801-AB7D-4A07-ABB8-D04447CCA061.jpeg

Sponsored

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
@Abilene - Mike, one thing I wish you all had on your website was a full on picture of every pattern you sell, especially the non-solid colors. It would give us a better idea on what each of them look like without having to guess. I know you guys have random ones from customer pictures, but it would be nice to see all of them. Preferably on a Jeep, but by itself is fine too if that is all you have to work with.

Ajn13

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I pre-ordered a jtop...I went with convenience of install over the 2 piece I was considering. Canā€™t wait to see it on!

OP
OP

Nicholas6

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I just got the DirtyDog two piece shade and so far I am pretty happy with it. It uses nylon straps and ladder locks to hold it in place, so its fairly simple to get installed. The two straps in the front slip between the windshield and winshield frame, so there is no need to lower the windshield to put it on or take it off.
https://store.dirtydog4x4.com/sun_screens/jl-unlimited-4-door

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I just got the DirtyDog two piece shade and so far I am pretty happy with it. It uses nylon straps and ladder locks to hold it in place, so its fairly simple to get installed. The two straps in the front slip between the windshield and winshield frame, so there is no need to lower the windshield to put it on or take it off.
https://store.dirtydog4x4.com/sun_screens/jl-unlimited-4-door
I have one on order. Looking forward to giving it a shot once I have my Jeep!

NCSUSTATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
This is Mike from JTops...here is a pic of how we fit. Our products use an extensive array of raw materials compared to the competition. We look at form, function and durability when designing a product. 9 neodymium magnets help it align, perimeter webbing with a finished binding helps in superior edge support. A solid 46ā€ 3/8 inch aluminum rod strategicly located to lock into the slight indentation on the front of the roll cage. Our windshield fitment is so unique we are in the process we are filing a patent. It also reques no tools, lowering of the windshiel or straps or hooks.
We rarely discount for the sheer fact it cost a lot to make our product. It is not a slice of square mesh with some simple burgess to keep it in place. Our margins are low and we price out product based on cost of materials and US labor. It itā€™s designed for a custom fit and takes a lot of swing to produce.
Thanks for the great questions! Here are a few pics...hope these help! Mike

By the way the titanium is awesome, we would be happy to send samples.

A10681FD-2B3D-44D7-9B2C-CF8942D15DBE.jpeg

AFE251B1-0E63-4FCB-88A5-080531743D96.jpeg

C6DC6801-AB7D-4A07-ABB8-D04447CCA061.jpeg
Looks legit. Will give it a try (if my Jeep ever arrives :headbang: )
Sponsored