Sponsored

Sun shade for JL Wrangler

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if JTops going to come out with a bikini version just for the front freedom panels?
Sponsored

GhostlyRides

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Sales Consultant
The Jtops company is in my hometown, Abilene Texas. I ordered a shade from them yesterday and soon after I placed my order the owner called me and spoke with me about the project they had going on. He stated that their top is coming along extremely well and should be finished later next week. I am stopping by to drop off my Jeep with Mike the owner next Tuesday for pictures and I believe a commercial he is filming, also going to test fit my red shade whilst I am there. I have not had any experience with their tops before but I will keep y’all posted on how well it fits the JL!

JTopsUSA

First Name
Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jtopsusa.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU 2014, Jeep JK 2015, Jeep JLU on order!
Occupation
Jeep® Wranger Soft Goods Manufacturer
I am comfortable paying a reasonable premium for a company that takes pride in paying their employees fairly. Thank you for that.

My intention is to run topless most of the time but it would be nice to take shelter from the So Cal sun when I end up stuck for long periods. Would keeping the shade in the back and "throwing it on" occasionally be realistic?
To that end, what would it look like "down and stored"?
And
Roughly how many minutes to install once you get the hang of it?

Lastly, would it help at all in light rain?

Thanks
Don't mean to turn this thread into a sales pitch, so I will take your post and use it as the basis for a new thread in our Sponsor forum. :like:

JTopsUSA

First Name
Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jtopsusa.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU 2014, Jeep JK 2015, Jeep JLU on order!
Occupation
Jeep® Wranger Soft Goods Manufacturer

mat071975

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
It looks like JTops has the highest quality product, but it is more than I wanted to spend at this time (ordered too many accessories already). Given that JTops is not running any great deals, and I can wear my lucky hat in the meantime, I’m leaning towards waiting for the Mopar, Alien, Mojojeep, offerings to compare all the details/pricing.

Sponsored

martyb511

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara, 15 Lexus CT200h, 15 Toyota Highlander Ltd
It looks like JTops has the highest quality product, but it is more than I wanted to spend at this time (ordered too many accessories already). Given that JTops is not running any great deals, and I can wear my lucky hat in the meantime, I’m leaning towards waiting for the Mopar, Alien, Mojojeep, offerings to compare all the details/pricing.
Matt..I'm in the same situation with having already ordered too many accessories in addition to having a newborn and having to buy pampers lol. We both recognize that Jtops has the highest quality product I also think it's the best looking. IMO the other shades seemed piecemealed, just having a universal rectangle mesh and bungees to secure. Which leaves gaps where sun can penetrate. Have you tried using their coupon code JL15
In the end I went with the Jtops as I plan to keep this JL for awhile and the difference in costs over a numbers of years is minimal. Another big factor is I have a Granite Crystal on order and think their Titanium color will match well.

mat071975

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Matt..I'm in the same situation with having already ordered too many accessories in addition to having a newborn and having to buy pampers lol. We both recognize that Jtops has the highest quality product I also think it's the best looking. IMO the other shades seemed piecemealed, just having a universal rectangle mesh and bungees to secure. Which leaves gaps where sun can penetrate. Have you tried using their coupon code JL15
In the end I went with the Jtops as I plan to keep this JL for awhile and the difference in costs over a numbers of years is minimal. Another big factor is I have a Granite Crystal on order and think their Titanium color will match well.
Hi Marty,

I strongly agree that JTops seems to have the highest quality product out there, but that is when you compare it to the other JK offerings.

I’m just a little disappointed on their discount. Saving $15 (on a $250 purchase), without being able to compare it against other competitors, is not enough to push me into purchasing it today.

I also need to figure out what color I want to get. Getting the Titanium for the Granite seems like the way to go. I’m not sure what I would get for my white JL with the black interior. I think black would look better, but the white will help reflect the heat.

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
All the tops look great. Had to order this week - heading to Moab on Saturday for a few weeks. Chose the one piece Spiderwebshade after a few comments on here I doubt I'll have any regrets.

Took the time yesterday to put the soft top on - glad there were directions on here, saved me quite a bit of time as the manual is NOT AT ALL well written in regards to swapping hard top for soft top the first time.
Very happy with Spiderwebshade time to ship (same day) and paid for expedited shipping. Put the top on in about 30 minutes. Dropping the front windshield (actually i just pulled it away as I already have lights in the way) was quick and I'd been wanting to see how that goes anyhow. I agree with others that I will NOT likely pull it off anytime soon so not likely a need to drop the windshield.

The top works great in the bright sun. I've been in Moab for the past week + and we've done the top back, top off and doors off and really enjoying the shade. The fit is good - snug and the hole to get to the latches look perfect. To drop the top (the latches at the windshield) are an easy tug to pull that back and get to them.

I don't think i'll regret it in the end given our use and not waiting.

Can't wait for all the accessories to have "choices" but this early on this is not a bad one by any means!

greenegger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Debating whether I need a sunshade. I"ll only ever have the soft top down on the weekends, and for the most part I'm not driving for very long (most destinations are within 15 minutes). I will have kids in the back though, so there is that, but don't see how it is different to them just being outdoors anyway.

First time wrangler owner and I've never owned a convertible so I look forward to real world experience - are all those guys in convertible german cars just fcking miserable and getting burnt?!!

norm807

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Punk'n Rubi
Debating whether I need a sunshade. I"ll only ever have the soft top down on the weekends, and for the most part I'm not driving for very long (most destinations are within 15 minutes). I will have kids in the back though, so there is that, but don't see how it is different to them just being outdoors anyway.

First time wrangler owner and I've never owned a convertible so I look forward to real world experience - are all those guys in convertible german cars just fcking miserable and getting burnt?!!
I run naked from Late April until early October with my JKU and I use a sun shade. It keeps my bald head from burning and keeps the seats cooler when it sits outside all day. I am too lazy to put the soft top up and down.. so it just stays down unless I am forced to put it up. The sunshade is nice because you still have an open air feeling as it is a mesh.

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
You'll really only know once you drive it for a while. If you find yourself cowering in fear at the thought of flipping the top open and exposing yourself to the Big Orange Ball, then yeah - get one. If you find yourself heading out for 2 hour drives on beautiful sunny afternoons just because, then yeah - get one. If you find that the lack of sun shade in any way reduces the chances that you'll go topless - get one.

OTOH, I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles topless in many different vehicles and I love it - got a spyder shade for my kids in the JK.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've never seen the point in them. But then again I've never owned one. Do you want an open air experience or not? If your head gets hot, wear a hat. A mesh screen is still going to let you get sun burned and wet if it rains.

k9chita

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
You guys use Alien? Spiderweb?

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I've never seen the point in them. But then again I've never owned one. Do you want an open air experience or not? If your head gets hot, wear a hat. A mesh screen is still going to let you get sun burned and wet if it rains.
I didn't want one until my wife pushed me to get one for the kids, but they do make a HUGE difference in the sunburn factor.
Sponsored