Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
It looks like you have to drop the windshield to install, no?
I'm not sure. I emailed them. What makes you think that?

The only thing it said is quick and easy install with no drilling and no special tools. I don't consider dropping the windshield to be quick and easy but that is a matter of opinion I guess.
Sponsored

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I'm not sure. I emailed them. What makes you think that?

The only thing it said is quick and easy install with no drilling and no special tools. I don't consider dropping the windshield to be quick and easy but that is a matter of opinion I guess.

The strap highlighted in the red circle makes it look like it goes between the windshield and the frame.

upload_2018-4-5_16-58-11.png

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The strap highlighted in the red circle makes it look like it goes between the windshield and the frame.

upload_2018-4-5_16-58-11.png
Maybe. Can't tell. If so, I will keep looking. If they respond to my email, which they have in the past, I will ask every question I can think of and report back.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR

Sponsored

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Alienshade is coming out with a JL version, looking at the JK version they should be able to incorporate a similar design, which to me doesn't look like you would need to fold the windshield down. Zoom in to take a look.

https://www.aliensunshade.com/colle...-sun-shade-top-cover-for-4-door-jku-2007-2017

I contacted Alien Shade a few weeks ago. They confirmed that you do not have to fold down the windshield to install their shade. They wouldn’t give me any details though on the new design because it wasn’t out yet.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Maybe. Can't tell. If so, I will keep looking. If they respond to my email, which they have in the past, I will ask every question I can think of and report back.
So Dirty Dog is very responsive on Facebook.

I asked if you have to unbolt the windshield the windshield to install and they said no!

I don't know how it works. I am assuming magic.

Any other questions we should ask?

crik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade; 2018 JLUS
https://www.jtopsusa.com/jl-shade-tops

This is a newly designed shade from JTops USA. Does not require the windshield to be lowered and fits under hard top and/or soft top. Looks like it gives very full coverage on the sides and front.

Kind of pricey, but looks like great quality.

They are taking pre-orders now and product will ship May 1.

I'm not affiliated with JTops, but I did pre-order a top for my JL.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Have you ever had an alien shade? Good quality? I like the option of doing only the front or back.
Nope. I currently have a spider. I just dont want to mess with the windshield. I have heard good things about alien in the past and I want the skull design so I will just wait.... I've been emailing Ryan at alien to get with it already and release the JL shade so fingers crossed it will be soon. Im actually suprised they are so far behind their competitor's releases.... maybe bc alien and their design with the windshield.... who knows.
As for spider, it is great, keeps the florida sun and heat out and best part, when it starts to rain and i throw back on the soft top, I punch the spider shade and rain falls down all over the inside which infuriates my daughter.... ahhhh life's little pleasures.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
https://www.jtopsusa.com/jl-shade-tops

This is a newly designed shade from JTops USA. Does not require the windshield to be lowered and fits under hard top and/or soft top. Looks like it gives very full coverage on the sides and front.

Kind of pricey, but looks like great quality.

They are taking pre-orders now and product will ship May 1.

I'm not affiliated with JTops, but I did pre-order a top for my JL.
Thanks for posting! I have been keeping tabs on them too. This is one item I am willing to pay more for. But it looks like they only have 1-piece and I think I want 2-piece? I feel like it will be a little more open but still keep the heat out. not sure though. I am nervous I will end up with a hot neck. If anyone has experience either way I'd appreciate it.

Quality on JTops looks really good.

gmangsxr750

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU (Freedom Edition), 2008 Mazda Tribute
Occupation
Web Application Developer
I got a JTops USA shade for my JKU. Some things I liked about this over other shades:
  • Uses clips to secure instead of ball bungies (more secure, less prone to breaking or loosening over time)
  • Sits across the top of the cage down the entire side (no gaps)
  • Has a metal cross beam in the back to keep it stable (less flapping)
  • Fits under the hard top (no need to remove/switch back and forth)
Overall I thought the JTops shade was the cleanest fit, best securing mechanism, most stable shade

https://www.jtopsusa.com/jeep-wrangler-mesh-tops

ambrose

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have the spiderweb shade on my JLU. I think it's great. Stays installed under my hard top. Was just enjoying it this morning.

About the windshield, it really couldn't be easier to put down. Can do it in a couple min, max--four torx bolts plus the wipers. Took me more time to get all the loops stretched into place. I keep a little cordless drill in the jeep. Makes taking the top, windshield, etc. off super easy and fast. But I don't really plan to take the shade off anyhow, so it's a moot point for me.

crik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade; 2018 JLUS
Here is some information that the owner of JTops sent me when I inquired about their JL sun shade/screen:

We also did something never done before. A magnetic attachment to the front of the windshield. It’s absolutely rock solid and passed every 90 MPH highway test. It follows the curves of the roll cage and can be left on under the hard top or soft top. We also added neoprene pads that are attached to each buckle to keep them solid. You can leave it on and the freedom panels can be put on and off.

As I previously posted, I've ordered one and am anxiously awaiting its delivery (after May 1).

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Here is some information that the owner of JTops sent me when I inquired about their JL sun shade/screen:

We also did something never done before. A magnetic attachment to the front of the windshield. It’s absolutely rock solid and passed every 90 MPH highway test. It follows the curves of the roll cage and can be left on under the hard top or soft top. We also added neoprene pads that are attached to each buckle to keep them solid. You can leave it on and the freedom panels can be put on and off.

As I previously posted, I've ordered one and am anxiously awaiting its delivery (after May 1).
It sounds really nice. I am leaning towards a two-piece top or otherwise I would definitely be looking at this.
Sponsored