robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Hi,

I'm hearing that SumoSprings might be an easy upgrade to help with squat while towing.

Is this something that would work/help on a 4xe, or does it already come with some kind of upgraded suspension that would make Sumosprings really not necessary? I see it just has the stock "yellow" small bumpstops.

I don't have the camper yet, so I don't know how much squat I will even have, but I would want to get the springs installed before going to pick it up even.

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
No.

i have sumosprings on my RV. They are elastomer units and would add significant stiffness to the rear.

you want airlift bags. They are inflatable to different pressure to help combat squat due to weight.

i had a set in my2019, and i have a set in my 2021, they work great as long as you do not try to do serious trails with them installed.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
@robynE I have both the Supersprings Sumo Springs in the rear, and the AirLift 1000 airbags for the rear. To echo what @Terminex said, you will likely want the AirLift Airbag 1000 if you are concerned about towing. Do some searching on the forum. I’ve done a detailed write-up on the correct Airlift kit, and even some installation tips.

It’s important to note that supersprings makes all different kinds of these products. Some of them are in contact on top and bottom, and working at all times, and others (like the sumo springs for the Wrangler JL) are only attached at the top, and are only “working” under very heavy loads or bottom-outs. They are just replacement bump stops that are longer, and made of a stiffer material, with a higher load rating. See pic below:
Jeep Wrangler JL SumoSprings for 4xe? 2C9F2DF8-4E2B-4DE5-91A1-3FBF1100C6F9

It would require the spring to push through much of its travel before the sumo springs would make contact, and have any effect.

The airbags, on the other hand, sit inside the rear coil springs, and are in constant contact with the top and bottom of the spring mount, as well as with the interior of the coil spring as it spirals all the way from top to bottom. I can dial in the pressure on the airbags with a bicycle pump and instantly stiffen the rear suspension. A real game-changer if you are camping with heavy loads, have a roof-top tent, and/or are towing.

I only have the sumo springs because I bought them second-hand, but unused for a price I couldn’t resist. But they don’t really help with squat or body roll. So I got the Airlift airbags shortly thereafter, and honestly, I doubt the sumo springs have ever “bumped” even once! But I suppose if I had an Airlift airbag failure the sumo spring bump stop would be a good backup

Last edited:
OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Great info! I will definitely take a look at the site bags. The tongue weight of camper dry is going to be just under 300. I'm a very minimalist solo camper so don't expect tongue weight to go much higher. I was hoping the sumos would be good enough to prevent too much squat but doesnt sound like they are going to do much. Thanks for the detailed replies.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I cannot stress enough to buy a tongue scale. Eveyone gets the tongue weight wrong. Until you actually weigh it, you do not know how much tongue weight you have.

setting it up right from the beginning will make the experience MUCH better.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
We’ve only towed a Rove Lite ~1800 LB camper (outdoorsy rental), but couple notes.

Headlight adjustment is super easy with a long screwdriver. Be worth a quick check so you don’t get flashed anytime you’re towing at night.

I ended up with an adjustible hitch to get a nice level trailer, the pump out was pretty low, so it helped clearance to get the tongue down level.

The Rove Lite has a pretty short tongue and a spare mounted on it, had to be cautious on turns backing in.

C31B8AF7-AAB2-453F-83A5-7118D0AE8CA2.jpeg

OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Absolultly agree! I bought one before I bought my last camper! Excellent advice that I always give as well.

wittyjeepusername

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
@robynE I have both the Supersprings Sumo Springs in the rear, and the AirLift 1000 airbags for the rear. To echo what @Terminex said, you will likely want the AirLift Airbag 1000 if you are concerned about towing. Do some searching on the forum. I’ve done a detailed write-up on the correct Airlift kit, and even some installation tips.

It’s important to note that supersprings makes all different kinds of these products. Some of them are in contact on top and bottom, and working at all times, and others (like the sumo springs for the Wrangler JL) are only attached at the top, and are only “working” under very heavy loads or bottom-outs. They are just replacement bump stops that are longer, and made of a stiffer material, with a higher load rating. See pic below:
Jeep Wrangler JL SumoSprings for 4xe? C31B8AF7-AAB2-453F-83A5-7118D0AE8CA2

It would require the spring to push through much of its travel before the sumo springs would make contact, and have any effect.

The airbags, on the other hand, sit inside the rear coil springs, and are in constant contact with the top and bottom of the spring mount, as well as with the interior of the coil spring as it spirals all the way from top to bottom. I can dial in the pressure on the airbags with a bicycle pump and instantly stiffen the rear suspension. A real game-changer if you are camping with heavy loads, have a roof-top tent, and/or are towing.

I only have the sumo springs because I bought them second-hand, but unused for a price I couldn’t resist. But they don’t really help with squat or body roll. So I got the Airlift airbags shortly thereafter, and honestly, I doubt the sumo springs have ever “bumped” even once! But I suppose if I had an Airlift airbag failure the sumo spring bump stop would be a good backup
I am interested in this topic as well, and would love to know if you have any data on whether the sumo spring is engaged under load (trailer hitched up) without inflating/using the airbag. I have about 320lbs of tongue weight on my expedition trailer and get somewhere between 1-2” of sag sitting static on stock suspension. My interest in the sumo spring is with regard to towing offroad. I can’t use an airlift on the trail going up moderate trailers with a trailer in tow. It just won’t hold up and articulate well. My hope was that the sumo spring might engage a bit and provide SOME load support, and moreover a ride quality improvement under load, but I am not sure if the added height of the sumo spring is enough to engage it with only 2” of sag in the rear. Would love to hear if anyone has any experience with this and if I am on the right track with the sumo spring being a one stop shop to give SOME moderate results/improvement over just running stock when towing.
Sponsored