Summer trip to the Western US and maybe Alaska

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
Due to the length of what I am suggesting it is likely that only retirees will be interested or able to undertake this voyage.

After spending the past year in nearly involuntary hibernation, and hours looking at YouTube videos of Colorado's Alpine Loop trails I just have to go out there and see for myself.

It is in this desire that I have made initial paid reservations in three campgrounds that will get me from Maine into the middle of the US. From that point on I will likely play by ear to find stopping points heading west. (iOverlander)

My departure date is June 14th from Maine intending to not come back home until late summer. I don't know how far I will go nor where I will visit. I only know that I must needs to make a big loop in and across our country to breathe freely again.

Any other senior, or near senior citizens who want to share this adventure are welcome to join me at any point on this pilgrimage. It is most likely that I will post updates of my locations and dates on this site as the trip progresses.

In the interest of safety and security I would only share my Identifying data such as Name and Vehicle ID with those persons who wish to participate during the venture.

Respectfully, Old Hillwalker
Sponsored

HeatBird

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79' Corvette 4 spd. 21'Willys 2dr. 6 spd.
Occupation
Retired
Nice. I'm going to South Dakota in July myself. I'm in Ct.
Have fun.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
From Nebraska here and headed to Southwest CO in July. Not sure on the 7-10 days yet but working on it soon. Planning to do some easier trails (green) as we are new to it and then ending with the Alpine Loop (blue) before heading home.

OP
OP
MEHillwalker80

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From Nebraska here and headed to Southwest CO in July. Not sure on the 7-10 days yet but working on it soon. Planning to do some easier trails (green) as we are new to it and then ending with the Alpine Loop (blue) before heading home.
Great, maybe see you out there. Alpine Loop is on my list too. I was stationed at Fort Carson CO back in 1968. Training for deployment to Viet Nam.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have a great spot that I stop at each time on my way west to camp at. If you are interested. It is about 3 miles off the HYW, PM me and I will share it. This is in Nebraska, right by a pond and a river.

Jeep Wrangler JL Summer trip to the Western US and maybe Alaska 1609849552708

Sponsored

OP
OP
MEHillwalker80

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a great spot that I stop at each time on my way west to camp at. If you are interested. It is about 3 miles off the HYW, PM me and I will share it. This is in Nebraska, right by a pond and a river.

Jeep Wrangler JL Summer trip to the Western US and maybe Alaska 1609849552708
Sure, I would appreciate that bit of information.

MarioC

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU RUBICON
Are you planning on towing a small camper, overlanding in a tent or staying at hotels or inns? I'm in NB Canada and only a few hours away from you, we are planning a similar trip but due to covid we will push it back to 2022.
Either way sounds like an epic trip and wishing you the best!!!

OP
OP
MEHillwalker80

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you planning on towing a small camper, overlanding in a tent or staying at hotels or inns? I'm in NB Canada and only a few hours away from you, we are planning a similar trip but due to covid we will push it back to 2022.
Either way sounds like an epic trip and wishing you the best!!!
My usual travel mode in northern Maine is moving around with my RTT mounted on my Wrangler. However I am working on a small trailer for mounting my RTT on top and possibly pulling it on the trip. But, until I can test the idea out in the spring I am not sure. It's only me travelling so, I will avoid hotels as much as possible. I would like the ability to leave the trailer secured at a campsite to make day trips with the jeep only. Of course if the virus is still not diminished enough to travel next summer, I will also be looking at 22. I have gone camping and hiking to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland/Labrador a number of times over the years. One of my ancestors arrived in Canada in 1665 as part of the Soldat du regiment salieres sent to protect the settlers. Some of the family snuck over the border to the Maine sometime in late 1800s. I was planning to go explore the Gaspe last summer, but you know what happened.

Hopefully we will realize this trip ambition soon.

Tom Hillwalker Wheeler (YouTube)
Sponsored

Last edited: