Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Via Automotive News

FCA cancels summer shutdowns at several N.A. plants

Jeep Wrangler JL Production.jpg

June 17, 2020

DETROIT -- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles said several of its North America plants will not have summer shutdowns this year "in order to meet strong consumer demand."

The plants that will remain open through the summer build vehicles such as the Ram 1500, Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator, and Dodge's muscle cars.

Those plants are Jefferson North Assembly in Detroit; Toledo Assembly Complex in Ohio; Sterling Heights Assembly in suburban Detroit; Brampton Assembly in Ontario; Saltillo Truck Assembly in Mexico; and Saltillo Van Assembly.

FCA said the following plants will still observe a shutdown this summer of either one or two weeks:

• Warren Truck Assembly in suburban Detroit, which will close the weeks of June 29 and July 6. FCA said Warren Truck's shutdown "will extend through the end of September as retooling continues for the launch of the Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer."
  • Belvidere Assembly Plant in Illinois, which builds the Jeep Cherokee, will be down the week of Aug. 17.
  • Windsor Assembly Plant in Canada that produces FCA's minivans will be down the weeks of July 20 and July 27.
  • Toluca Assembly Plant in Mexico will be down for four weeks for model changeover beginning July 6.
The automaker said "powertrain, stamping and component plants will align work patterns to support assembly production schedules."

Advertisement

Last edited:

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Infiniti G37xS Sedan
So guys, are we thinking 2021MY JL’s will start production before the originally posted August date?!

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The way the 2020s are popping out I'd say yes because they don't really have to change anything. A couple of auto plants have had grumbling from the workers with a couple of covids and one plant about a quarter of the workers are staying home refusing to work until covid is gone. UAW informed their workers a couple of weeks ago to probably not plan for a summer shutdown. And they are telling the stay at home workers they won't stand in the way if the company fires them.

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The way the 2020s are popping out I'd say yes because they don't really have to change anything. A couple of auto plants have had grumbling from the workers with a couple of covids and one plant about a quarter of the workers are staying home refusing to work until covid is gone. UAW informed their workers a couple of weeks ago to probably not plan for a summer shutdown. And they are telling the stay at home workers they won't stand in the way if the company fires them.
I’ve been eyeing those 2020 stickers and they seem to be moving like crazy. Not to get political, but I really don’t think COVID-19 is going anywhere for 2-3 years at least. That’s a long time to wait.

JeepAddict

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes
Has anyone ordered a 2021? Wondering if this means they’ll extend 2020 (to make up for lost sales) or if they already cut to 2021 production.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone ordered a 2021? Wondering if this means they’ll extend 2020 (to make up for lost sales) or if they already cut to 2021 production.
Yes 2021 orders are going in. No more 2020 orders. They are finishing the backlog of 2020 orders.

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They opened 2021 orders a month earlier than planned. 2020 is closed.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

VNT

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
My dealer sold out of Wranglers, amazing how rebates move the metal!

Turchman

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler JKU, 2018 VW Tiguan, 2001 Infinity
That will change when the extra $600 per week unemployment benefit ends in July.

guarnibl

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder.
Inventory is certainly low (esp. since we want a 2 door). I can't find dealers yet willing to go anywhere near the 13% off MSRP custom order that I had gotten in 2019. Best I've gotten was invoice minus holdback, which I think is around 8% back from MSRP. Not enough for me to pull the trigger. I can wait another 6 months if needed.

MeanMrWolf

First Name
Lance
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Team Lead, Information Technology
I’ve been eyeing those 2020 stickers and they seem to be moving like crazy. Not to get political, but I really don’t think COVID-19 is going anywhere for 2-3 years at least. That’s a long time to wait.
That’s not being political, that’s following science and facts.

NJJeep Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
They better cancel vacation. My local dealer has less than 10 JL/JT vehicles left on the lot. I was there for the clutch recall, and the sales side was busy

BigGreen

First Name
Alex
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Well as much as it sucks that they don't get that vacation, I think its a nice indicator that things are still pretty normal with our economy.