Muddledmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU 2021 4xe
Hi all,

Owned my first and only Jeep for a couple of months now. JLU Sahara 4xe with hardtop. Taken the top and doors off already, kids loving it!

I do need a solution for reducing impact of inclement weather. I don't want to shell out for a full soft top.

I plan to get a cover for times where I know it will rain and it's parked up. But I am looking for options for bikini tops or similar that help with the worst of the rain.

Any advice on most cost effective way to go?
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
There are many options so pick what you like. It will help to keep the following in mind.
  1. Jeep interiors are supposedly able to withstand the elements but there are reports that they don't always.
  2. The radio seems to be most susceptible to water. Pick a top that tends to keep that dry. Something with a tight seal to the windshield would be best.
  3. Be aware that there are drain plugs in the floor. Since it sounds like you won't be weathertight, you should remove the plugs so the floors don't become buckets.
I'd also suggest that you seriously think about your choice. It sounds like what you really want is a soft top in Safari Mode. It would be a shame to shell out for a bikini top and full cover, then decide that it isn't enough and you need a soft top anyway.

OP
OP
Muddledmike

Muddledmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU 2021 4xe
I've been struggling to get my head around this whole getting the interior wet thing. So I could leave this thing out in the rain and it'll dry up without causing issues for the carpet or leather seats?

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Sunshades are terrible when it comes to driving in the rain. The big water drop hits the shade and it turns to a mist that is going to soak you and everything else, the wind grabs it and throws that mist around, there's no avoiding it. I'd rather just have an open top and a hat on then just a sunshade.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076ZHMR3S

That's my suggestion. Get a few, keep them stashed in the Jeep some place along with some garbage bags. Poncho on you, garbage bags can go over the seats if it's going to rain while you're parked (might be able to find a way to hold them in place while you drive). You can also use a garbage bag over the dash to help keep moisture off of the stereo (the water will push buttons on the touch screen for you, super annoying). I don't have a good solution for how to lay the garbage bag on the dash yet, I hold it in place in the center with my cell phone (don't judge me, it's water proof enough) and I turn my 67d mount to try to help. I then tuck the bottom edge into the trim where the shifter meets the dash. I happen to have a wire there for my GMRS radio so I use that to try to help hold it. None of this is perfect, but it's still a work in progress.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
So I could leave this thing out in the rain and it'll dry up without causing issues for the carpet or leather seats?
Leather seats I wonder about, I didn't get leather just for that reason. I also can't say how well the JL is going to hold up yet, by my TJ seats were fine in rain and snow here in CO. When it got rained on I'd just park it in the sun when I could, seats would dry reasonably fast and I didn't have a mildew smell. While I end up removing the carpet in every Jeep I own it has never been due to rain/snow when the top is off. In the summer I just run with the drain plugs out so when water does get in it hopefully has a place to go and I don't have to try to find the plugs. My verdict is out on if this is still effective enough in the JL.

The JL has a lot more electronics in it than my TJs did, but I also said the same thing when I got my first TJ. From what I have seen so far, everything seems to be holding up for me. I do keep the lids on the aux ports and power outlet closed, seems to me those are the high risk areas.

Sponsored

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have a soft top and got caught in the rain with the doors off. It was a downpour, but even with the soft top in safari mode, enough rain got in to thoroughly soak the carpet. I pulled the drain plugs, but the carpet still retained most of the water. If you get lots of rain in your area, regardless the top chosen, you should pull carpet. Easy to do, and easy to reinstall when the top goes back on.
Btw, the leather seats were fine, just a dry off and good to go. I'm not sure how waterproof they are if they are heated though.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
i bought a rain gear cover for mine. i seem to always get caught if i drive to work with the jeep naked. So this would work if your stopped and can wait it out, or an overnight situation.
driving the jeep in a downpour sucks, nothing really you can do about it. If your able to keep moving though you can avoid getting soaked. like others have said when you get home pull your drain plugs, and carpet let them dry and re install and good to go. One down pour my radio did act a little crazy but it did clear up and was fine later on.

Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I got stuck in this DOWNPOUR! Had to pull drain plugs and set in the sun for a day and it dried right out. You’ll be fine. Just put it in the sun.

EE937735-ACF0-4B9F-914F-612260C8A93B.jpeg

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
I got rained in for the first time a few days ago also. Left my Jeep at my cousins house overnight with a 0% chance of rain and of course we got one of those hour long pop up thunderstorms and it poured. When I got there the dash and leather seats were surprisingly dry. The floor was filled with water, pulled the plugs dried out for a few days and all seems well.