Themistocles

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
We completed the Rimrocker Trail in Montrose early enough to for a late breakfast, then headed down 550 for Ouray. The drive was pretty and went by quickly. As soon as we got to Ouray we headed up to run Imogene.

The kids were just floored by how different the scenery was from Moab. My son, who had decided he was not a fan of New Mexico, was ok with Arizona, and wanted to move to Utah, just loved Colorado and the mountains.

About 1/2 a mile into Imogene two Jeeps, came up behind me and I slid over to let them pass. When I saw Colorado plates, I figured I would follow them as they were probably more familiar with the trail. This decision had a pretty dramatic impact in the rest of my trip.

The two Jeeps pulled over at the old mine about 3/4s of the way up the trail and I figured I might as well pull over with them, as the kids were about ready to jump out with the Jeep still moving. We got talking and they invited me to join for the rest of the trip.

Really great folks...I will not use names in a public forum, but truly wonderful people, made me feel completely welcome and then proceeded to provide a guided tour...what an amazing community.

Imogene was very easy overall, more intimidating with some of the dropoffs than anything else. But so beautiful, kids loved it. Even my 11 year old son who is too cool to call anything pretty could not stop commenting.

Jeep Wrangler JL Summer Jeep Odyssey: Virginia - Grand Canyon - Moab - Telluride - Virginia PXL_20220708_212557728~2

Jeep Wrangler JL Summer Jeep Odyssey: Virginia - Grand Canyon - Moab - Telluride - Virginia PXL_20220708_193832537~2

Jeep Wrangler JL Summer Jeep Odyssey: Virginia - Grand Canyon - Moab - Telluride - Virginia PXL_20220708_200534044.PANO

Jeep Wrangler JL Summer Jeep Odyssey: Virginia - Grand Canyon - Moab - Telluride - Virginia PXL_20220708_193551190.PANO

Jeep Wrangler JL Summer Jeep Odyssey: Virginia - Grand Canyon - Moab - Telluride - Virginia PXL_20220708_201516968~2

Overall a great time and amazing scenery. To make it even better the couple driving the JT invited us to join them to do the Alpine Loop, including Engineer Pass the next morning. I am just constantly impressed by the wonderful folks in the Jeep community.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Trips like these are just another testament to how amazing these JLs really are and glad you experienced the Rimrocker, it's one of the more peaceful trails I driven in a jeep.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
We completed the Rimrocker Trail in Montrose early enough to for a late breakfast, then headed down 550 for Ouray. The drive was pretty and went by quickly. As soon as we got to Ouray we headed up to run Imogene.

The kids were just floored by how different the scenery was from Moab. My son, who had decided he was not a fan of New Mexico, was ok with Arizona, and wanted to move to Utah, just loved Colorado and the mountains.

About 1/2 a mile into Imogene two Jeeps, came up behind me and I slide over to let them pass. When I saw Colorado plates, I figured I would follow them as they were probably more familiar with the trail. This decision had a pretty dramatic impact in the rest of my trip.

The two Jeeps pulled over at the old mine about 3/4s of the way up the trail and I figured I might as well pull over with them, as the kids were about ready to jump out with the Jeep still moving. We got talking and they invited me to join for the rest of the trip.

Really great folks...I will not use names in a public forum, but truly wonderful people, made me feel completely welcome and the proceeded to provide a guided tour...what an amazing community.

Imogene was very easy overall, more intimidating with some of the dropoffs than anything else. But so beautiful, kids loved it. Even my 11 year old son who is too cool to call anything pretty could not stop commenting.

Jeep Wrangler JL Summer Jeep Odyssey: Virginia - Grand Canyon - Moab - Telluride - Virginia PXL_20220708_201516968~2

Overall a great time and amazing scenery. To make it even better the couple driving the JT invited us to join them to do the Alpine Loop, including Engineer Pass the nest morning. I am just constantly impressed by the wonderful folks in the Jeep community.
Look out for the sheep at the Engineer summit! There must have been hundreds and the video makes for an interesting souvenir. The “baas” from a group that big were comical. If you don’t do Poughkeepsie tomorrow, consider Engineer to Cinnamon then down CR 2 to Silverton which will let you take the Million dollar Highway back to Ouray.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
edit: there is a short hike up the peak behind Cinnamon summit, great place for a snack.

This was Engineer Sunday afternoon.

OP
OP
Themistocles

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Trips like these are just another testament to how amazing these JLs really are and glad you experienced the Rimrocker, it's one of the more peaceful trails I driven in a jeep.
Couldn't agree more with both. These JLs are comfortable enough for thousands of road miles but ready at any moment to turn off pavement and tackle damn near any trail out there...even in practically stock form. Not perfect, but as close to it (for my wants) as any vehicle I have owned.

Rimrocker was phenomenal. I just stumbled on it doing searches when preparing for this trip; so glad I did. At one point it overlooks the highway and my son looked down and said "dad, we could just take the highway." To which I answered, "yup, but then we wouldn't be here.". He thought about it for a minute nodded his head and said "yeah, i'de rather be here too.". I would do that trail again anytime.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Rimrocker was phenomenal. I just stumbled on it doing searches when preparing for this trip; so glad I did. At one point it overlooks the highway and my son looked down and said "dad, we could just take the highway." To which I answered, "yup, but then we wouldn't be here.". He thought about it for a minute nodded his head and said "yeah, i'de rather be here too.". I would do that trail again anytime.
We stumbled on it too (my wife actually did). We ran it from Moab to La Sal and hopped off to head to Telluride.

OP
OP
Themistocles

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I am finally home, caught up on sleep, and with a computer instead of my phone to post from. So figured I would close this out with my Poughkeepsie Gulch, California Pass, Engineer Pass, Alpine Loop day.

The couple I met up with on Imogene invited us to do Engineer Pass / The Alpine Loop with them the next...the lady driving the yellow Jeep had to catch a flight that morning and couldn't join us again. I jumped at this offer for multiple reasons.: I didn't know the area, nice to have a second vehicle, and probably most importantly they were great people and fun to wheel with. So, we met up in Ouray at 0900 on the 8th and headed up to the Engineer Pass trailhead. The trailhead is only a couple miles up the road (toward Silverton) from Ouray and very clearly marked. While we were stopped to air down a couple of backpackers asked if they could hitch a ride with us up to the top of Engineer. My jeep was packed to the gills with 3 people, camping gear, recovery gear, food, and clothes, but our host had room in his JT, so in they jumped, and we hit the trail.

First stop was a beautiful little waterfall only a short way up the trail.
Jeep Wrangler JL Summer Jeep Odyssey: Virginia - Grand Canyon - Moab - Telluride - Virginia Engineer Pass Waterfall

Shortly after the waterfall we came to the turn off for Poughkeepsie Gulch. We stopped there to chat with a couple folks parked at the trailhead and I mentioned that I might come back this way to hit Poughkeepsie Gulch, as it was on my list to do. Our guide said..."no reason to come back, let's just do it now." So, we diverted and headed up Poughkeepsie. The trail was not difficult, some scree sections that were a little interesting but overall, a lot of incredible scenery, but a pretty easy trail. That is until we got to "The Wall".

The Wall obstacle was quite challenging. There is a bypass to the far left that is steep with loose dirt and gravel, but doable in a stock vehicle. My guide chose the route on the far right and after a little work climbed it in his JT. I figured I would take the same line. However, it did not work for my JL (on 35s vs 39s). I made 3 or 4 tries and finally decided to winch (needed to test the new winch anyway.) After some scraping, I made it to the top with no damage and little drama. After I had come up, I watched another JL on 35s pick a slightly different line (farther right and a bit angled) and walk right up the obstacle. I almost went back down and tried again on that line but didn't want to delay the trip and there was a bit of line already formed at the bottom...will come back and conquer that obstacle on another trip. Once over the wall we headed up to Lake Como...which is just stunningly beautiful, can't explain it, and pictures don't do it justice, one you have to see for yourself.
Jeep Wrangler JL Summer Jeep Odyssey: Virginia - Grand Canyon - Moab - Telluride - Virginia Wall Entrance

Jeep Wrangler JL Summer Jeep Odyssey: Virginia - Grand Canyon - Moab - Telluride - Virginia Up the Wall

Jeep Wrangler JL Summer Jeep Odyssey: Virginia - Grand Canyon - Moab - Telluride - Virginia Lake Como Panorama

After Lake Como we headed up and over California Pass, made a stop at the old mining building, and connected with the Engineer Pass trail and headed up Engineer Pass.
Jeep Wrangler JL Summer Jeep Odyssey: Virginia - Grand Canyon - Moab - Telluride - Virginia California Pass

Jeep Wrangler JL Summer Jeep Odyssey: Virginia - Grand Canyon - Moab - Telluride - Virginia Animas Forks

Jeep Wrangler JL Summer Jeep Odyssey: Virginia - Grand Canyon - Moab - Telluride - Virginia Animas Forks 2

On the way up, just short of Engineer Pass we stopped at Odom Point. Up to that stop I had counted the top of the Beartooth Pass as the single prettiest place I had seen in the U.S. I think Odom Point beats it...competition is close, but Odom point really has to be experienced. It is just amazing.
Jeep Wrangler JL Summer Jeep Odyssey: Virginia - Grand Canyon - Moab - Telluride - Virginia Odom Point

Jeep Wrangler JL Summer Jeep Odyssey: Virginia - Grand Canyon - Moab - Telluride - Virginia Odom Panorama

Jeep Wrangler JL Summer Jeep Odyssey: Virginia - Grand Canyon - Moab - Telluride - Virginia Odom w-Jee

It was then on to Engineer Pass (about 5 minutes).
Jeep Wrangler JL Summer Jeep Odyssey: Virginia - Grand Canyon - Moab - Telluride - Virginia Engineer Pass

Sadly, we parted ways with our guide at Engineer Pass. They headed back down to the Ouray side and we headed out to Lake City. We did see the sheep...lots of them, apparently there is a sheepherder who comes up there every year, brings a couple horses and spend the summer with the sheep at that high pasture. from Lake City we decided that the trip back around either over the pass again or around back through Montrose or Durango was just too much to only do Ophir. Also, as it was the weekend the area was crazy busy. Every camp site, even the dispersed ones was full, and all the hotels were full. Instead of fighting that battle we figured we'd end on a high note (which this day surely was) and head home. Trip home was uneventful, except for yet another cracked front windshield.

Made it home a few days later. Tired, happy to be home, but just thrilled with the trip.
Jeep Wrangler JL Summer Jeep Odyssey: Virginia - Grand Canyon - Moab - Telluride - Virginia Home

Thanks to all who have followed this adventure! It is now time to start planning the next one.

Last edited:

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I am finally home, caught up on sleep, and with a computer instead of my phone to post from. So figured I would close this out with my Poughkeepsie Gulch, California Pass, Engineer Pass, Alpine Loop day.

The couple I met up with on Imogene invited us to do Engineer Pass / The Alpine Loop with them the next...the lady driving the yellow Jeep had to catch a flight that morning and couldn't join us again. I jumped at this offer for multiple reasons.: I didn't know the area, nice to have a second vehicle, and probably most importantly they were great people and fun to wheel with. So, we met up in Ouray at 0900 on the 8th and headed up to the Engineer Pass trailhead. The trailhead is only a couple miles up the road (toward Silverton) from Ouray and very clearly marked. While we were stopped to air down a couple of backpackers asked if they could hitch a ride with us up to the top of Engineer. My jeep was packed to the gills with 3 people, camping gear, recovery gear, food, and clothes, but our host had room in his JT, so in they jumped, and we hit the trail.

First stop was a beautiful little waterfall only a short way up the trail.
Jeep Wrangler JL Summer Jeep Odyssey: Virginia - Grand Canyon - Moab - Telluride - Virginia Home

Shortly after the waterfall we came to the turn off for Poughkeepsie Gulch. We stopped there to chat with a couple folks parked at the trailhead and I mentioned that I might come back this way to hit Poughkeepsie Gulch, as it was on my list to do. Our guide said..."no reason to come back, let's just do it now." So, we diverted and headed up Poughkeepsie. The trail was not difficult, some scree sections that were a little interesting but overall, a lot of incredible scenery, but a pretty easy trail. That is until we got to "The Wall".

The Wall obstacle was quite challenging. There is a bypass to the far left that is steep with loose dirt and gravel, but doable in a stock vehicle. My guide chose the route on the far right and after a little work climbed it in his JT. I figured I would take the same line. However, it did not work for my JL (on 35s vs 39s). I made 3 or 4 tries and finally decided to winch (needed to test the new winch anyway.) After some scraping, I made it to the top with no damage and little drama. After I had come up, I watched another JL on 35s pick a slightly different line (farther right and a bit angled) and walk right up the obstacle. I almost went back down and tried again on that line but didn't want to delay the trip and there was a bit of line already formed at the bottom...will come back and conquer that obstacle on another trip. Once over the wall we headed up to Lake Como...which is just stunningly beautiful, can't explain it, and pictures don't do it justice, one you have to see for yourself.

After Lake Como we headed up and over California Pass, made a stop at the old mining building, and connected with the Engineer Pass trail and headed up Engineer Pass.

On the way up, just short of Engineer Pass we stopped at Odom Point. Up to that stop I had counted the top of the Beartooth Pass as the single prettiest place I had seen in the U.S. I think Odom Point beats it...competition is close, but Odom point really has to be experienced. It is just amazing.

It was then on to Engineer Pass (about 5 minutes).

Sadly, we parted ways with our guide at Engineer Pass. They headed back down to the Ouray side and we headed out to Lake City. We did see the sheep...lots of them, apparently there is a sheepherder who comes up there every year, brings a couple horses and spend the summer with the sheep at that high pasture. from Lake City we decided that the trip back around either over the pass again or around back through Montrose or Durango was just too much to only do Ophir. Also, as it was the weekend the area was crazy busy. Every camp site, even the dispersed ones was full, and all the hotels were full. Instead of fighting that battle we figured we'd end on a high note (which this day surely was) and head home. Trip home was uneventful, except for yet another cracked front windshield.

Made it home a few days later. Tired, happy to be home, but just thrilled with the trip.

Thanks to all who have followed this adventure! It is now time to start planning the next one.
Thanks for sharing! I'm sure this is something you and your family will never forget.
Sponsored