Sponsored

Suggestions to clean up small hole & paint match inside of the tailgate.

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Long story short, we beat up the tailgate by closing it on a pull behind beach buggy. Lucky for us a hole needed to be made in the same general area to allow a drawer lever to pass though it. I used a dremel to make the 1" x 1" hole, first attempt at something like this, I always seem to know just enough to be dangerous. Looking back I would of placed a piece of hard wood behind the spot and with a circular saw drilled the hole, I see rubber grommets and cable pass throughs plentiful that would fit a circle. No luck for something as simple as a 1" square. I attempted to paint the area with Mopar factory spray paint, it covered up some sins but didn't match great. I get it needs some clear coat but do you think it will match? not darken up even more?

Jeep Wrangler JL Suggestions to clean up small hole & paint match inside of the tailgate. IMG_3149
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What about adding the Mastic Seal, which is an adhesive "sticker"? There's one on the passenger side of every JL's rear tub (interior) near the tailgate, covering an access hole. When I installed a new tire carrier, I had to carefully pull this mastic seal off in order to access some wiring. The stock seal is painted the body color, but the replacement looks white. Should be able to paint it with some Mopar paint. And it's cheap at .99 cents, plus shipping from Quadratec.

I don't know the exact dimensions of the seal, but measure the one on yours to see if it will work.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/mastic-seal-patch-jl-68379871AA

Jeep Wrangler JL Suggestions to clean up small hole & paint match inside of the tailgate. mastic seal

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
A drawer lever? I’m having a hard time picturing why you would put a big on hole in the tailgate for that. Take picture from a little further back. Looking at this though I’d say quit messing with it. You’re just going to make it worse.

OP
OP
SuMeRiaN

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
What about adding the Mastic Seal, which is an adhesive "sticker"? There's one on the passenger side of every JL's rear tub (interior) near the tailgate, covering an access hole. When I installed a new tire carrier, I had to carefully pull this mastic seal off in order to access some wiring. The stock seal is painted the body color, but the replacement looks white. Should be able to paint it with some Mopar paint. And it's cheap at .99 cents, plus shipping from Quadratec.

I don't know the exact dimensions of the seal, but measure the one on yours to see if it will work.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/mastic-seal-patch-jl-68379871AA

Jeep Wrangler JL Suggestions to clean up small hole & paint match inside of the tailgate. mastic seal
Interesting I will save that, the only problem is I still need the lever from the drawer to pass through the door each time its opened and closed. My hole i slightly bigger than the necessary space and has some room for a grommet but I cant find anything square. Appreciate all ideas thank you!

OP
OP
SuMeRiaN

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
A drawer lever? I’m having a hard time picturing why you would put a big on hole in the tailgate for that. Take picture from a little further back. Looking at this though I’d say quit messing with it. You’re just going to make it worse.
I haven’t touched it lately for that exact reason, circling back to this now for feedback or maybe a new perspective yours is well taken.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Maybe you could buy a piece of diamond plate aluminum and trace a pattern on it to and cut to fit that larger area. Then cut the round hole you wanted with a hole saw. Secure it with some tapping screws or 3M automotive mounting tape. It would look better than messing with the hole and painting it more.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting I will save that, the only problem is I still need the lever from the drawer to pass through the door each time its opened and closed. My hole i slightly bigger than the necessary space and has some room for a grommet but I cant find anything square. Appreciate all ideas thank you!
Got it....thought you were looking to cover it up permanently.

OP
OP
SuMeRiaN

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Forgive my ignorance, but is there a tool that could cut a circle over my square w/o the bit arbor guide, not exactly sure what’s it’s called. Curious.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If you can block it from behind, you could use a hole saw.

OP
OP
SuMeRiaN

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
If you can block it from behind, you could use a hole saw.
I've considered it, I have access to the area behind it. I think you could stack two 2x4's in there, still afraid I will make it worse, like another has stated. I ll explore to see what circle would do the trick and check grommet options some more tonight. Thanks for jumping in.

Anyone have any idea if adding clear coat will give me a better color match or make it darker?

Last edited:

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So you cut through an aluminum/magnesium panel's corrosion coating and want to just gloss over it? You should read the Bubbles on Door Hinges thread about how it takes specialized expertise to work on aluminum. Once you break the corrosion barrier any paint over it has a good chance of bubbling.

OP
OP
SuMeRiaN

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I have a few of those in 2", I have not tried plastic. I have tried rubber caps and legs like the below. I wasn't able to cut the hole clean enough through them for the drawer lever to pass through. Thank you, I made a note to look at it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Suggestions to clean up small hole & paint match inside of the tailgate. Annotation 2020-07-13 170725
Sponsored