Sponsored

Suggestions on what website to purchase OEM 8.4" Radio?

Barky

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
Hey, I'v been reading a lot about all people upgrading their OEM radios from the 7" to the 8.4"
Iv seen many places where you can buy them online and want to know where you guys think is the best?

Thank you!
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Hey, I'v been reading a lot about all people upgrading their OEM radios from the 7" to the 8.4"
Iv seen many places where you can buy them online and want to know where you guys think is the best?

Thank you!
If you want a new radio https://parts.allmoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-radio-multi-media-68295725ah is supposed to have the best prices. Otherwise you can check ebay, Craigslist, etc. Infotaintment.com has refurb and new units, but they are a bit more expensive for the new radios.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

Thank you!
Ditto for allmoparparts.com. I purchased my 8.4 from them and very happy. They are a sponsor here on the forum. Benny is wonderful to work with.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Thank you!
Can anyone describe the benefits form 7 to 8.4? Is there any sound quality improvement?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Can anyone describe the benefits form 7 to 8.4? Is there any sound quality improvement?
Aside from the bigger screen, the 8.4 can be had with or without navigation. It also has slightly better climate controls, WiFi and a few additional features. I believe when upgrading to an 8.4, not all features work though.

You can see a good good comparison here:

https://www.jeep.com/uconnect.html#2020-jeep-wrangler

Sponsored

OP
OP
Barky

Barky

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
I would agree with that. The bigger screen is a very nice upgraded that I think is worth it along with all the other features it comes with.

The only negative thing I've noticed, I don't have the offroad pages. I checked on the Uconnect website for the update but it says its up to date. I think its because Uconnect still thinks I have the 7" radio still installed. I just reached out to Mopar support to see how I should proceed, will update with findings.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Aside from the bigger screen, the 8.4 can be had with or without navigation. It also has slightly better climate controls, WiFi and a few additional features. I believe when upgrading to an 8.4, not all features work though.

You can see a good good comparison here:

https://www.jeep.com/uconnect.html#2020-jeep-wrangler
Thanks for link. Will have to take a look. Was hoping some sound quality would be included. Nav not big deal with CarPlay for me but I do like look of 8.4 over 7 though. Thanks for response.

Mattyv

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU - Ocean Blue
Honestly, I think the sound quality is worse...only because my 7" had a "loudness" setting that the 8.4" doesn't have. That setting apparently wasn't available with the Alpine upgrade/8.4". I bought the 8.4 and have not been able to apply any updates either because there doesn't seem to be a way around the VIN problem.
Currently, I have the OEM 8.4 head unit going to a JL Audio VXI 5 channel amp that then powers my front and rear Kicker 6.5" component speakers as well as a 10" Kicker L7 sub. I love the setup, but I really want to go aftermarket for the head unit. I originally went from the 7" to 8.4" because I wanted to stay OEM, but I am just not happy with it. I can't get updates to fix the problems it has and I don't think the sound quality is all that great when you add/upgrade more of the sound system. I know people have had other experiences, but just wanted to share mine.

OP
OP
Barky

Barky

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
Honestly, I think the sound quality is worse...only because my 7" had a "loudness" setting that the 8.4" doesn't have. That setting apparently wasn't available with the Alpine upgrade/8.4". I bought the 8.4 and have not been able to apply any updates either because there doesn't seem to be a way around the VIN problem.
Currently, I have the OEM 8.4 head unit going to a JL Audio VXI 5 channel amp that then powers my front and rear Kicker 6.5" component speakers as well as a 10" Kicker L7 sub. I love the setup, but I really want to go aftermarket for the head unit. I originally went from the 7" to 8.4" because I wanted to stay OEM, but I am just not happy with it. I can't get updates to fix the problems it has and I don't think the sound quality is all that great when you add/upgrade more of the sound system. I know people have had other experiences, but just wanted to share mine.
I talked to Mopar about updating my 8.4" and they said I have to take it to the dealer for them to link the new radio to my VIN. Reason being that I couldn't update it online because Uconnect still thinks I have the 7" so when they finish I should have offroad pages etc. I also agree the sound quality was better with the 7" but I was already planning on redoing all my speakers next.

Mattyv

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU - Ocean Blue
I talked to Mopar about updating my 8.4" and they said I have to take it to the dealer for them to link the new radio to my VIN. Reason being that I couldn't update it online because Uconnect still thinks I have the 7" so when they finish I should have offroad pages etc. I also agree the sound quality was better with the 7" but I was already planning on redoing all my speakers next.
Let me know if your dealership performs this for you. I would be interested on how they get it done. It has been a while since I inquired (basically gave up), but I spoke to Mopar, Uconnect group, and my dealer and they all point me to each other. Dealer said they can't update the build sheet with the 8.4 and that they couldn't even order me an 8.4 if they tried. They stated my VIN can only have the 7" that it came with or a new 7" replacement. When talking to Uconnect they said there is nothing they can do and to try the dealer to see if they can update the VIN. Mopar directs me straight to Uconnect and round and round I went.
My main problem with the 8.4, or any Uconnect is that it just doesn't always work. I have to re-pair my bluetooth multiple times a week, and I have also seen some of the other issues reported here in the forums as well (like backup cam lines going away for a random amt of time). I would love to see if an update helps, but I haven't had luck with being able to get one. Let me know if you are able to.

Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Skip it and go third party. Jeep won't support the installation anyway, so you may as well go with a solution that works.

OP
OP
Barky

Barky

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
Let me know if your dealership performs this for you. I would be interested on how they get it done. It has been a while since I inquired (basically gave up), but I spoke to Mopar, Uconnect group, and my dealer and they all point me to each other. Dealer said they can't update the build sheet with the 8.4 and that they couldn't even order me an 8.4 if they tried. They stated my VIN can only have the 7" that it came with or a new 7" replacement. When talking to Uconnect they said there is nothing they can do and to try the dealer to see if they can update the VIN. Mopar directs me straight to Uconnect and round and round I went.
My main problem with the 8.4, or any Uconnect is that it just doesn't always work. I have to re-pair my bluetooth multiple times a week, and I have also seen some of the other issues reported here in the forums as well (like backup cam lines going away for a random amt of time). I would love to see if an update helps, but I haven't had luck with being able to get one. Let me know if you are able to.
Dealer said they could not update it as it's from a 2019 JL. Mopar said the radio is actually from a 2018 JL. So as of now no solution.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Dealer said they could not update it as it's from a 2019 JL. Mopar said the radio is actually from a 2018 JL. So as of now no solution.
This is the same BS I ran into. Jeep won't support anything that wasn't installed at the factory. Dealer won't support the 8.4" unit in anyway. I gave up and went with the Alpine. Super happy now. Jeep seems to go out of their way to fail at every available opportunity.

I can't see any valid reason why they don't take advantage of the aftersales opportunity and sell and support these. Brain dead easy to install. Should be brain dead easy to support.

OP
OP
Barky

Barky

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
Today is the best day ever!! Tazer came out with a Beta update to get offroad pages for those who upgraded to the 8.4" Radio.

https://www.zautomotive.com/tazer-jl-updates/

Click the Beta button and download the software (11.2.1). You have to UPDATE IT MANNUALY once you have your tazer plugged in.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

IMG_1509.jpeg

Mattyv

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU - Ocean Blue
That is interesting. I did not see an updated manual to see if there are any more details on this. Do you need to be on a certain software version of UConnect for this to work. I installed my 8.4 over a year ago. I am not sure if I need to update before this will work for me. If that is the case, I am screwed as I am unable to update.
Anyway, I completely agree with @willcasp and finally ordered the Kenwood DMX706s and plan to swap out my head unit when it gets warm out. I think I am done playing this UConnect game.
Sponsored