Sponsored

Suggestions for Colorado Trails for a New Jeeper?

Datjeeptho

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Everyone!

I was just lucky enough to purchase a 2018 JLU Rubicon and am itching to get it off road. I'm in the Denver area and am looking for some trails to start on.

Any suggestions? I have heard that Yankee Hill is decent or the Bill Moore Lake area. I would love something with some great scenery if possible. We are going up Monday and I cant wait!
Sponsored

303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Some what new Jeeper in Denver as well.
I would be interested in joining Monday if you select an area.

Last weekend I hit Pennsylvania Gulch and it was good until there was a slide that closed the rest of the trail.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
You guys are going to have trouble anything over 9k elevation. There's still plenty of snow on most trails. Yankee Hill is out of the question right now but is a great one. You may have better luck out near Colorado Springs or Buena Vista.

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
My very first thought is Switzerland Trail. From Boulder, go up to Nederland, straight through the round about then it's 6 miles up take a right on county road... I forget what. This is basically a dirt road but there are some side trails you can play on a bit if you like. Follow the Switzerland trail all the way past the chimney and picnic area (you can't miss it) to Gold Hill Road. Go straight past gold hill road and you'll quickly come to TFL's Cliffhanger 2.0. Very little risk of damage or getting stuck, especially in a Rubicon, but it will give you a chance to use the lockers and the hill descent and such.
I heard rumors that the road between Boulder and Nederland is closed due to road repairs. Like they were blasting all up due to flood damage.

Can anyone confirm?

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I did this exact route last Sunday (4/28) to get my bearings in the JL. Drove from Boulder to Nederland via 119. There was a section right outside of Boulder that was down to 1 lane, so you had to wait for traffic to clear, but other than that it was open.
Excellent. Thank you. Switzerland trail is on my list since it is close.

303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Pennsylvania Gulch is up 4 mile from Boulder. The canyon was closed and it sucked. Down to one lane. We took gold hill down.
This is all accessed from Switzerland trail.

I would like to go check out something up towards black hawk.

OP
OP
Datjeeptho

Datjeeptho

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Pennsylvania Gulch is up 4 mile from Boulder. The canyon was closed and it sucked. Down to one lane. We took gold hill down.
This is all accessed from Switzerland trail.

I would like to go check out something up towards black hawk.
I think the stuff towards black hawk might have snow like 1quick1 was saying. I know that Yankee Hill is near black hawk. Bill Moore is near there too if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
Datjeeptho

Datjeeptho

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I was digging through my garage and found an old copy of the funtreks book. This is "Vol. 2" and I bought it 20 years ago for about $15. It spent a good deal of its life in a TJ door pocket so it is dusty, dirty, oily, has been rained on, and I'm not entirely sure that a bunch of spiders haven't made it into their home. If you want to get that pesky new car smell out of your Jeep this will probably do the trick. That said all the pages appear to be there and none seem to be trying to fall out. I'm sure that some of the trail info is out of date but it's probably mostly usable. Their new ones are much nicer, being spiral bound and made of better quality paper, but this book is yours if you want it. I live in Aurora and work in Littleton near C470 and Broadway. I'll gladly deliver it to you if you're along my commute or can meet you someplace convenient. You can just have it, but if you really want to pay for it I would accept any quantity of your favorite beer (or whatever is on sale at the gas station) or a cigar.
Appreciate the offer but I've been using the App AllTrails and enjoying it. It has reviews and GPS and such. I will say, everyone seems to have a different idea of what is easy and what is not. Its kind of hilarious. Thats the main reason I was looking for suggestions. :D

Sponsored

OP
OP
Datjeeptho

Datjeeptho

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone done Devil's Canyon? That seems to be a bit lower elevation and might not have a lot of snow.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Everyone!

I was just lucky enough to purchase a 2018 JLU Rubicon and am itching to get it off road. I'm in the Denver area and am looking for some trails to start on.

Any suggestions? I have heard that Yankee Hill is decent or the Bill Moore Lake area. I would love something with some great scenery if possible. We are going up Monday and I cant wait!
If you decide to go tomorrow send me a PM if you would like to go with others.

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
Im betting the gulches (Hackett, Metberry and Longwater) should be doable this time of year out by Divide.

Saran Wrap and Eagle Rock down in the Springs are probably doable with maybe one section having a snow drift. Eagle Rock has one somewhat difficult section.

Red Cone is a must but with as much snow as we have gotten, I doubt its drivable until August this year.

Jenny Creek is another easy one but might still have snow.

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
Two years ago I took my TJ with a group of JKUs up what I was told is Eagle Rock. I didn't know anyone in the group, just one of those internet get togethers but they all had a lot of things on their Jeeps and talked a good game. But they were really hating life on that trail and one came out with damage. Again, not something I think a new Jeeper should be on.
There is one spot that gets pretty chewed out and is definately more than a novice should undertake without some support and a winch just in case.

I have heard that they changed Jenny Creek, you no longer drive up through the Creek. I always liked that area, but with the trail changes I have no idea what it's like now. But I would venture to guess that it is currently snow covered. The thing most people don't seem to realize about Jenny Creek though is that it is a Colorado OHV trail, which means you are required to have an OHV permit on your Jeep (yes even if it is plated). It's $25 / year.
https://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/RegistrationsOHV.aspx#plated
I did not know that and I passed a ranger on that trail without a permit.
Sponsored