Sponsored

Suggestions for a newbie to trailing? Going to Manistee for a few days in my "stock" JLUR

joemanly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 4dr
Hey All!

I know there is a lot of experienced folks here so I could use the advice for my first trailing adventure with my wife. We are going to Manistee for a few days the week before Labor Day weekend. I have a "stock" JLU Rubicon. I say "stock" because I know they are very capable as they sit before mods, but I have no winch or anything for recovery if things go south. Any thoughts on nice trails I can take my wife that will have enough beginner adventure to spark a timid woman to want to begin making it a regular activity? It would be good if we could also see all the beauty of the area with the river and such.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have wheeled all over Michigan. Either by Jeep, atv, SxS or snowmobile. While I have not been up in that area in a few years, when I was it was covered in snow. This is what I would tell you. Most of the UP is a big swamp. If there is water, walk the hole first. Every time unless it is sandy and the entrance and exit of said hole is not rutted up and is smooth. There are many miles of seasonal and forest roads. Just remember it is better to turn around than to walk 20 miles back to civilization. Go have a great time there are plenty to explore and you will be surprised at how well google maps show the trails and how well Uconnect shows the trails. I would download an off line map of the area prior to going so that google maps works.

OP
OP
joemanly

joemanly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 4dr
I have wheeled all over Michigan. Either by Jeep, atv, SxS or snowmobile. While I have not been up in that area in a few years, when I was it was covered in snow. This is what I would tell you. Most of the UP is a big swamp. If there is water, walk the hole first. Every time unless it is sandy and the entrance and exit of said hole is not rutted up and is smooth. There are many miles of seasonal and forest roads. Just remember it is better to turn around than to walk 20 miles back to civilization. Go have a great time there are plenty to explore and you will be surprised at how well google maps show the trails and how well Uconnect shows the trails. I would download an off line map of the area prior to going so that google maps works.
That is great insight wibornz - thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
joemanly

joemanly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 4dr
That is great insight wibornz - thanks!
We had a great time! On Saturday we hit the Little Manistee first which worked out good for the wife, then Tin Cup. Sunday we hit the Silver Lake Dunes - man that was fun too! The Rubicon did great in all of it and the wife is buying into this being a regular thing.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
We had a great time! On Saturday we hit the Little Manistee first which worked out good for the wife, then Tin Cup. Sunday we hit the Silver Lake Dunes - man that was fun too! The Rubicon did great in all of it and the wife is buying into this being a regular thing.

You will have to go with us sometime when we head north. Unfortunately, it will be November before we do though. We are headed south on Wednesday to chase badge trails in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia. Then we are doing either Windrock in Tennessee or Blue Holler in Kentucky in October.

OP
OP
joemanly

joemanly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 4dr
You will have to go with us sometime when we head north. Unfortunately, it will be November before we do though. We are headed south on Wednesday to chase badge trails in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia. Then we are doing either Windrock in Tennessee or Blue Holler in Kentucky in October.
That would be cool. We are gonna kinda work into this. I think we are looking at getting a winch setup and then doing the Off-road 101 training. I’m sure it will be good for me but I want my wife to feel confident that she could get behind the wheel as well and know how to be an active part of the adventure and not just a passenger. How often we go will be the unknown though since we both work a lot. Even through COVID.
Sponsored