flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
As many have stated here, what you need is really based on your use case. I've owned a CJ-5 and TJ, and both served my on/off-road purposes just fine in bone stock configuration. The only factory options on my JL are rock sliders and tow/HD electrical group. Everything else is just helpful in protecting my investment and providing some peace of mind when off road. These certainly aren't mods, but include:

-Security system.
-Hood lock.
-Locking gas cap.
-Wheel locks.
-Cargo liner and floor mats.
-Uconnect screen protector.
-Seat covers.
-3M door hinge tape.
-Mud flaps.
-First aid kit.
-Basic offroad kit: folding shovel, traction mats, recovery strap, portable air compressor, fire extinguisher, emergency (Ham) radio, jumper cables/battery booster, etc.
-Toilet paper ----> THE most important accessory of all!

This pretty much serves my use case as a daily driver in the city and mild weekend warrior in the desert. For the latter, I'm just driving 2 hours on a freeway, spending a day or two overlanding in the desert, then two hours back home. The only mod I'd consider, is installing some Rubi takeoff wheels/tires, but that's about it. Hope this helps, and don't fret about the firehose of info. As others have stated, just get out there, have fun, drive conservatively, and you'll learn what's necessary and what's not. Best of luck and enjoy!
Sponsored

Last edited: