John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been chasing this over the last 2 winters and I’m at my wits end.
During the winter my roof is louder then a 100 yr old house. it’s not the rear window but overhead the main cockpit area. I’m ok with it 90% of the time, it’s a Jeep! But, sometimes it’s so loud it’ll stops a conversation.

Additionally, the older the Jeep gets the more wind noise and cold air can be heard/felt coming through the doors. They’re clean, not worn down. I know I’ve seen it on here but I can’t find the post on how to add additional weather stripping to the door surrounds. Does anyone know the best way to add this?

What I’ve done so far for the creaking roof

303’d all the seals- only last maybe a day.
re seated the roof/freedom panels-no luck.

It’s been to the dealer that I trust they can’t figure out the problem. They tried the first 2 things I did

after researching the forums I came across the idea of lithium grease. So off to the auto store I went, hesitant (don’t want a greasy mess) but ready to grease the hell out of the seals.
while there the service tech who is a fellow Jeeper suggested to try Meguiars hybrid ceramic wax. So we’ll see and I’ll report back as I know there’s others out there having this issue.
any other suggestions are welcomed fo either issue.
TIA
Sponsored

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’ve been chasing this over the last 2 winters and I’m at my wits end.
During the winter my roof is louder then a 100 yr old house. it’s not the rear window but overhead the main cockpit area. I’m ok with it 90% of the time, it’s a Jeep! But, sometimes it’s so loud it’ll stops a conversation.

Additionally, the older the Jeep gets the more wind noise and cold air can be heard/felt coming through the doors. They’re clean, not worn down. I know I’ve seen it on here but I can’t find the post on how to add additional weather stripping to the door surrounds. Does anyone know the best way to add this?

What I’ve done so far for the creaking roof

303’d all the seals- only last maybe a day.
re seated the roof/freedom panels-no luck.

It’s been to the dealer that I trust they can’t figure out the problem. They tried the first 2 things I did

after researching the forums I came across the idea of lithium grease. So off to the auto store I went, hesitant (don’t want a greasy mess) but ready to grease the hell out of the seals.
while there the service tech who is a fellow Jeeper suggested to try Meguiars hybrid ceramic wax. So we’ll see and I’ll report back as I know there’s others out there having this issue.
any other suggestions are welcomed fo either issue.
TIA
As for the roof .....

Jeep Wrangler JL Suggestions: Creaking roof/additional weather stripping for doors A218FA99-17C9-403A-91EB-87603115BE4A

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
You could try dielectric grease (Permatex) on the weather strips/seals. It fixed the roof squeak on my JK.

Sponsored

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Mine started to sound like the hardtop was shifting around while driving on smooth roads at slow speeds around corners. Like a rubber seal shifting around. Checked the bolts and of course they were tight. Ended up cleaning the tailgate rubber seals and applying 303. Noise gone.

OP
OP
Jabarsetti

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Mine started to sound like the hardtop was shifting around while driving on smooth roads at slow speeds around corners. Like a rubber seal shifting around. Checked the bolts and of course they were tight. Ended up cleaning the tailgate rubber seals and applying 303. Noise gone.
yeah I've done that multiple times and the 03 didn't last more than a day. so far so good on the drive in this morning with the Meguiars hybrid ceramic wax after sitting overnight in cold garage. Only time will tell.

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Please keep us posted. Mine is very creaky as well especially in the winter. Seems to be coming from the sound bar area right behind driver seat where the freedom panels meet the rest of the hardtop. Like you, I’ve tightened, greased, taped, and foamed with no success.

OP
OP
Jabarsetti

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Please keep us posted. Mine is very creaky as well especially in the winter. Seems to be coming from the sound bar area right behind driver seat where the freedom panels meet the rest of the hardtop. Like you, I’ve tightened, greased, taped, and foamed with no success.
Day 2 and single digit temps and the Jeep was outside all night. I can say that the Ceramic wax is holding strong in keeping the creaking at bay. We'll see, I have a 2 day ski trip planned. If this works, I'm buying stock in it! As said before I already use it for washing and detailing the Jeep and it does a great job.

Sponsored

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Day 2 and single digit temps and the Jeep was outside all night. I can say that the Ceramic wax is holding strong in keeping the creaking at bay. We'll see, I have a 2 day ski trip planned. If this works, I'm buying stock in it! As said before I already use it for washing and detailing the Jeep and it does a great job.
what exactly did you wax?

Baconator

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
Also interested! I have no idea what's creaking, and it drives me nuts. It sounds like it's somewhere near the front passenger seat. Maybe the grab handles, maybe the sound bar, no idea...

I just want it to warm up and everything softening up and expanding should make it go away for 8 months, but I'd love to make it stop now!

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
there's a few threads on this.
i picked up shin-etsu grease from honda (based on other recommendations) and its worked well.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This may help too: wax the painted parts on the roof and door jams in contact with the rubber seals.

I haven’t done the lithium grease, but I’ve waxed the door jams and applied Armor All on the rubber itself. It quieted down the squeaking for 10 days or so.

BTW, I used Klasse paint treatment instead actual car wax.

Jeep Wrangler JL Suggestions: Creaking roof/additional weather stripping for doors 1613148731016

My guess is a ceramic wax may work just as well. The key is to smoothen the surface in contact with the rubber seals as much as possible.

Also, I have a painted hardtop; the finish is much smoother than that on a black hardtop.

Good luck!
Sponsored