JLOrange

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 2.0 turbo JL
Hello,

I have a Sahara JLU that rubs a 255/70/R18 tire. Anyone running a 275/70/R17 on aftermarket wheels? I was looking at the Quadratec 41 or Recons 17x8.5 wheel because I like the look and I want a little wider stance on my Jeep. I don’t do any off-road. The Jeep is my everyday driver and I want the wider stance so I don’t feel too heavy and I don’t want 285/70/R70, because I don’t want to recalibrate my mph/gears. I want to remain close to a stock ride with a little wider stance and I don’t want to use spacers. The 275/70/R17 is pretty identical to the 255/70/R18 tire, but the 275/70/R17 is a little wider. With the Quadratec Wheel I should be about 1.25 past the fender. Anyone have this size tire and aftermarket wheels?
Thanks,

Joe
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Joe,
You'll only be 2% difference in rolling diameter going w/ the much more common 285/70/17s and you should be able to find some BFG Rubicon takeoffs on the site for a great price. You'll only be about 1.5 mph off at 70mph, not enough to be a concern IME.
Those combined w/ those 8.5 +10 offset wheels should be a nice fit.
I run the same wheel specs on 295/70/17s (33.3" tall) and they don't poke out much.
The 275/70/17s aren't a bad choice, just not many tire choices there, and those BFG takeoffs can be a great find!
Here's the fit at the fender w/ my setup, if you ran 285s it would be 5mm in from mine, the 275s 10mm in from my setup.

Jeep Wrangler JL Suggestions - 275/70/R17 on aftermarket Wheels 100_4025.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Suggestions - 275/70/R17 on aftermarket Wheels 100_4026.JPG

OP
OP
JLOrange

JLOrange

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 2.0 turbo JL
Thanks blnewt. It’s hard finding BFG Rubicon takeoffs near Hampton Roads, Virginia. But I will keep an eye out. What tires are you running? I may have to settle for Nitto Grappler G2 if I go 285/70/17. You’re right, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of choices for 275/70/17.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks blnewt. It’s hard finding BFG Rubicon takeoffs near Hampton Roads, Virginia. But I will keep an eye out. What tires are you running? I may have to settle for Nitto Grappler G2 if I go 285/70/17. You’re right, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of choices for 275/70/17.
I run Milestar Patagonias, but when the time comes I'm thinking of running the new Toyo Open Country AT3, Had good experience w/ Toyos in the past and this tire has their newest rubber technology, 50k mile warranty, Snow rated, and I need an AT tire more than I do my current hybrid mud tread. The 285/70 C rated in that tire only weighs 55 lbs, so not too heavy :)
https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3

OP
OP
JLOrange

JLOrange

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 2.0 turbo JL
Are these the tires - milestar patagonia at/r all-terrain.
They are budget friendly, but babe better than I expected reviews. How are they working for you? Do you recommend these? Also, not sure if you have an automatic transmission, but does your Jeep have issues shifting to find the right gear when you switched to bigger tires?

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Are these the tires - milestar patagonia at/r all-terrain.
They are budget friendly, but babe better than I expected reviews. How are they working for you? Do you recommend these? Also, not sure if you have an automatic transmission, but does your Jeep have issues shifting to find the right gear when you switched to bigger tires?
These are the ones I have
https://www.milestartires.com/light-truck-tires/patagonia-mt/
No complaints with them, they aren't too loud, they were easy to balance and they look nice. Only had them in the rocks, no mud, but they did a good job. They seem to be wearing ok but probably will need a new set at 25k miles. A good tire for the price, but I think I'm going to run those Toyo AT3s when the time comes., as I don't really need an MT tread, and longer tread life would be nice :)

I have the 8AT, don't use 8th gear much, but no problem w/ the AT being in the right gear, and no lagging or gear hunting.
Sponsored