Sponsored

Suggestion For All Automatic Tranny Owners.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I purchased a small belt extender (rigid 3") to fool the Auto Park feature. Being startled once by its unexpected activation was enough for me, thanks.
Sponsored

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

It won't go into Auto Park if it isn't running. It also won't do it if you go into neutral. It's been years since I went through a car wash that puts you through on a rail, but I never put an automatic into neutral for them. You put it into park and let the car wash do its thing. On a manual, you leave it in neutral.
Here is a refresher:
https://m.driving-tests.org/beginner-drivers/how-to-use-an-automated-car-wash/
Good god no, at least in the ones I go through if you leave it in park it will bounce and drag its way through the car wash - in my automatic it has to be in neutral. But that doesn't work if you aren't in the vehicle, once the car wash guy opens the door to get out it goes right into Autopark now.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Good god no, at least in the ones I go through if you leave it in park it will bounce and drag its way through the car wash - in my automatic it has to be in neutral. But that doesn't work if you aren't in the vehicle, once the car wash guy opens the door to get out it goes right into Autopark now.
How do they do it on that car wash? There are more and more vehicels (e.g. Grand Cherokees) with AutoPark. If it were me (being the attendant) I'd simply buckle the seatbelt behind me, put in N, open the door and get out - Autopark would not activate.

In any event I can't think of a situation where I need to pull that panel and pull that string.

What is wrong with vehicle off, transfer case in neutral. Move vehicle. Back to 2WD or 4HiAuto when done.

Last edited:

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
@YippieKiYayMrFalcon
... so, you could get a donor vehicle to it to jump start it, etc.. (Yeah yeah, yeah... use a jump pack, some nit wit will chime in)
Not sure if nit wit is the right term, and how many do we have anyway, because another one will chime in that you can't start a Jeep with a jump pack unless you ...

Al G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU
I actually had to use that release today to get my dead Wrangler onto a rollback. I'm glad I had a vague memory of seeing that during my initial review of the owners manual. It took a few minutes to find it again in the manual.

Sponsored

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
Man, the workarounds to prevent stupid people from being stupid in their Jeep are a real PITA.

Absolutely no reason I shouldn't be able to just shift out of park.

Indeed... One of these days Ima gonna pop the cover on that bad boy and take the Dremel to whatever keeps that lever from moving.

OP
OP
MtCamper

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
When you have a total electronic failure your dash lights up like a Christmas Tree and when you put it in park it won't come back out no matter how hard you pull. I've had it happen twice to me now. Fortunately I had a hard copy owners manual and found out how to get into neutral to get it on the rollback the first time. The second time I was in the desert about 25 miles from pavement. I was able to put the transmission into neutral and that allowed me to neutral the transfer case and go back into park so I could be towed out. I'm currently of the opinion that you will have an electronic failure at some point in your ownership.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I haven’t bothered to look but supposedly there is an allen head on the transmission body itself, accessible from underneath, that does the same thing as the lever. May only be on cars that don’t have the orange lever.

Whole video interesting but points out the screw at 8min 45 sec

Seems the workarounds are a necessity when there isn’t a mechanical link.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
It’s also a good idea to familiarize yourself with how to start your JL if the key fob battery is dead. This, too, is in the manual.
You can’t do that!

(My attempt at reverse psychology so you’ll just post a link)

• Haha
Reactions: GtX

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
This question has been asked here more than once but hasn’t yet been answered: Why would I mess with the transmission when I can just put the transfer case into neutral and push the jeep as much as I want? Let the transmission stay in park, it matters not when the transfer case is in neutral….

Reactions: GtX

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
You can’t do that!

(My attempt at reverse psychology so you’ll just post a link)
Page 23:
NOTE: In case the ignition switch does not change with the
push of a button, the key fob may have a low or dead
battery. In this situation, a back up method can be used to
operate the ignition switch. Put the nose side of the key fob
(side opposite of the Emergency Key) against the ENGINE
START/STOP button and push to operate the ignition
switch.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
When you have a total electronic failure your dash lights up like a Christmas Tree and when you put it in park it won't come back out no matter how hard you pull. I've had it happen twice to me now. Fortunately I had a hard copy owners manual and found out how to get into neutral to get it on the rollback the first time. The second time I was in the desert about 25 miles from pavement. I was able to put the transmission into neutral and that allowed me to neutral the transfer case and go back into park so I could be towed out. I'm currently of the opinion that you will have an electronic failure at some point in your ownership.
It's also helpful in a situation such as an accident. A buddy of mine ate a guardrail swerving to avoid an idiot on the highway, smacked one of his rear tires against it, and managed to somehow fold his rear trackbar. At the time, the extent of the damage was unclear, so just to be safe, the manual release was pulled to get it loaded onto a trailer.