Sponsored

Suggestion For All Automatic Tranny Owners.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Just for fun pop off the cover just in front of the shifter. Use the red rope to put it into neutral. What you do today may save a long walk out tomorrow.
Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Did someone forget to keep it in all neutral for towing?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Just for fun pop off the cover just in front of the shifter. Use the red rope to put it into neutral. What you do today may save a long walk out tomorrow.
Indeed, it is a really really good idea to becomw familiar with "Park Release".

Important.... As you gently and slowly pull up on the tether, listen listen listen for a slight audible sound....

Just as soon as you hear that slight sound, stop pulling on the tether...

Why..... Well, if you pull up firmly and release, very often you will in that one pull, release and then lock so to speak in that one/same pull...

Anyway, listen and stop pulling the tether as soon as you hear the audible.

Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Man, the workarounds to prevent stupid people from being stupid in their Jeep are a real PITA.

Absolutely no reason I shouldn't be able to just shift out of park.

...weep for the future... millennials...bla bla bla...get off my lawn...other old people stuff...

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
That’s really only for if you need to be yanked up on a flat bed and can’t start the vehicle.

If you’re flat towing, transmission in park and transfer case in neutral, per the manual

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
That’s really only for if you need to be yanked up on a flat bed and can’t start the vehicle.

If you’re flat towing, transmission in park and transfer case in neutral, per the manual

@YippieKiYayMrFalcon

There are a few scenarios where Park Override Release could/would come in handy..

For example.... say if your JL is in your garage, front facing forward or in a parking deck faced forward and that JL has a dead battery(s). You'd need to push the JL out of the space..... so, you could get a donor vehicle to it to jump start it, etc.. (Yeah yeah, yeah... use a jump pack, some nit wit will chime in)

You'd pull the Park Override Release tether and then you and a pal, etc. could push the JL out of the space so you could jump start it, work on it, get it on a flatbed...

In this thread.... I'm not sure how/why guys choose to mention flat towing... Park Override Release is not used in the flat towing dance..

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

Man, the workarounds to prevent stupid people from being stupid in their Jeep are a real PITA.

...weep for the future... millennials...bla bla bla...get off my lawn...other old people stuff...
I agree with everything you said except the get off my lawn part - and stay off my lawn!

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Why can't I simply put the transfer case in Neutral?

Much easier than disassembling the console to pull on strings.

Sponsored

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

Why can't I simply put the transfer case in Neutral?

Much easier than disassembling the console to pull on strings.
I'm no expert, but I think the issue is if you are in the Jeep and put it in neutral, once the door is open (or if the door is open when you move it to neutral) the Jeep in its infinite wisdom automatically puts itself in Park regardless of what the shifter says. This is extraordinarily annoying to people who (a) go through car washes where the car goes through by itself, like AutoBell, and (b) people like me who sometimes back up with the door open to adjust parking. GRRRRRR.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I'm no expert, but I think the issue is if you are in the Jeep and put it in neutral, once the door is open (or if the door is open when you move it to neutral) the Jeep in its infinite wisdom automatically puts itself in Park regardless of what the shifter says. This is extraordinarily annoying to people who (a) go through car washes where the car goes through by itself, like AutoBell, and (b) people like me who sometimes back up with the door open to adjust parking. GRRRRRR.
It won't go into Auto Park if it isn't running. It also won't do it if you go into neutral. It's been years since I went through a car wash that puts you through on a rail, but I never put an automatic into neutral for them. You put it into park and let the car wash do its thing. On a manual, you leave it in neutral.
Here is a refresher:
https://m.driving-tests.org/beginner-drivers/how-to-use-an-automated-car-wash/

KAB96F

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon XR
Occupation
Structural Engineer

This is what we get when kids started eating Tide Pods... :facepalm:

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
You put it into park and let the car wash do its thing.
Here is a refresher:
https://m.driving-tests.org/beginner-drivers/how-to-use-an-automated-car-wash/
That's incorrect. Unless you want your vehicle drug through a carwash without the drive wheels spinning freely. Your "refresher" video clearly shows the wheels spinning as the vehicle goes through the machine. Put your vehicle in park when you do not want it to move, put it in neutral when you do.

That being said, I wonder if this "feature" could be used to disable auto-park somehow? I'm inclined to say no, but it would be nice.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
That's incorrect. Unless you want your vehicle drug through a carwash without the drive wheels spinning freely. Your "refresher" video clearly shows the wheels spinning as the vehicle goes through the machine. Put your vehicle in park when you do not want it to move, put it in neutral when you do.

That being said, I wonder if this "feature" could be used to disable auto-park somehow? I'm inclined to say no, but it would be nice.
A bit more research shows that there are in fact both types of car washes. I've rarely used an automatic car wash but definitely remember leaving vehicles in park in them.
Anyway, auto park definitely doesn't engage in neutral nor should you be opening a door while in a car wash, so there is that. Lol. As for backing up and opening a door? Well if that is absolutely required plug the seatbelt in.
Sponsored