Sponsored

Suggested Roof Racks for Mounting a RTT and/or a Foxwing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
For you folks with a RTT, awning or fox/batwing, what roof rack are you mounting to and how happy are you with your purchase?
Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
For you folks with a RTT, awning or fox/batwing, what roof rack are you mounting to and how happy are you with your purchase?
@OpenRangeOutdoors : I don't do these things. I'd would though like to whet your appetite with a soon to be released rack that can BECOME an awning.

LOD will first release it for the JK, then then JL:

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep/2018-jeep-jl-products/roof-rack.html

Nobody ever when wrong buying a Gobi, accept if a soft top/Sunrider product opening was a regular thing for them....

again, something looking to be addressed in the LOD's slide product...

Cheers

: - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
No doubt, @RubenZ with that rack's load transferred down to the Sports brackets I would expect it to be able to hold substantial weight and sway little.

Two concerns:
  • I was remiss in not confirming with the OP that it is a hard top version of the JL they own. Is this the case?
  • Does this otherwise very nice rack's lack of full length, not covering the Freedom Panel area, still allow a large enough footprint for things like roof top tents, etc.?

I know racks, but as stated, I don't know a lot about the things that the OP @OpenRangeOutdoors wishes to place on them.

: - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
yes. Plenty of people are using the pioneer platform to mount RTT. I like that it doesn't completely cover freed panels because I can still remove them and have a roof rack.

Sponsored

OP
OP
OpenRangeOutdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Sorry Rahneld, I should have said that the question is for mounting to a 4 door hard top. The tent I'll be mounting is roughly 5'3 x 4', opens to about 8' and weighs around 120 lbs. I'd prefer a rack that doesn't cover the freedom panels, and with the size of the tent that shouldn't be a problem.
I like that Maximus RubenZ......do you get much wind noise with it?

HotKarlTheJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Sorry Rahneld, I should have said that the question is for mounting to a 4 door hard top. The tent I'll be mounting is roughly 5'3 x 4', opens to about 8' and weighs around 120 lbs. I'd prefer a rack that doesn't cover the freedom panels, and with the size of the tent that shouldn't be a problem.
I like that Maximus RubenZ......do you get much wind noise with it?
I also have the pioneer rack and there is noise, but it's not a whistle which is what you usually get with racks. It's more like a muffled chuffing sound. Almost like what you hear when it's maybe 15mph winds vs 10mph winds and you drive down the highway if that makes sense. It's not very loud at all.

CJ-ING-RJ

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 73 CJ5, 07 Electra Glide
Here’s my 2 cents. Personally I don’t like any of the options on the market right now. The Gobi stops you from removing either of the tops and is just ugly. The Maximus 3 looks really clean but if you’re a top off fan when you don’t plan on camping, from what I hear it’s a total pain in the ass to remove the hard top. But once the hard top is removed you can put the rack back on the Jeep and use it.
Personally I am waiting to see the Pioneer Platform with the Backbone system. It looks as if you could remove the hard top just as you would without a rack on the roof. It has the static and dynamic load ratings to support A RTT and Awning.
Right now I’m running a Foxwing and Tepui tent on my home built trailer because of the lack of options.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Here’s my 2 cents. Personally I don’t like any of the options on the market right now. The Gobi stops you from removing either of the tops and is just ugly. The Maximus 3 looks really clean but if you’re a top off fan when you don’t plan on camping, from what I hear it’s a total pain in the ass to remove the hard top. But once the hard top is removed you can put the rack back on the Jeep and use it.
Personally I am waiting to see the Pioneer Platform with the Backbone system. It looks as if you could remove the hard top just as you would without a rack on the roof. It has the static and dynamic load ratings to support A RTT and Awning.
Right now I’m running a Foxwing and Tepui tent on my home built trailer because of the lack of options.
Ya to be honest I wanted the Backbone setup but it was supposedly going to cost more than the Maximus-3 Route and they keep delaying it month after month. Its literally almost a year behind their original release of last Oct-Nov. The Maximus-3 honestly isn't that big of a deal to remove Hard top. you literally just have to unbolt like 4 more bolts which may add at most 5 more minutes to the Hard Top remove.

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Anyone know of bumper/windshield mounted? I had a Sherpa roof rack on my JK, I loved that one with my RTT.

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Could we get a pic of a “fox wing” attached to a Jeep?
I’m clueless. Sounds cool though.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder

RubenZ

First Name