Sbostwick and IronScott like this.
  2. Walter-new jeeper

Walter-new jeeper Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Walter
    Vehicle(s):
    Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, F150, Escape
    Liked:
    Doesn't the Gobi rotate out of the way so you can take off the hard top and put the soft top on? I'm looking at the Gobi as an option for that reason - that it can be used with both a hard top and soft top.

3. RubenZ

RubenZ Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ruben
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sport Sting-Gray
    Liked:
    Yes I believe it can flip back. Plan on waiting for almost a year though. Supposedly they are very backed up and slow on production. Someone on the forum i think ordered it like in October and just got it last month or so.

4. CJ-ING-RJ

CJ-ING-RJ Well-Known Member

First Name:
    RJ
    Vehicle(s):
    18 JLUR, 73 CJ5, 07 Electra Glide
    Liked:
    I believe so. But my thought is once you have a 140# RTT, a 7’ long Awning And any other gear up on the rack are you really going to be able to flip it up? I don’t know that would work.

5. Walter-new jeeper

Walter-new jeeper Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Walter
    Vehicle(s):
    Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, F150, Escape
    Liked:
    True, you would probably have to unload the rack to swap tops or slide the soft top back - but you would have to unload anyway if you were going to swap from the hard top to the soft top with a hard-top mounted rack, unless you have a heavy duty hoist and rack to hold it all.

Question to the forum population - has anyone with a rack like the Gobi one ever flipped it back with the tent on it?

6. CJ-ING-RJ

CJ-ING-RJ Well-Known Member

First Name:
    RJ
    Vehicle(s):
    18 JLUR, 73 CJ5, 07 Electra Glide
    Liked:
    I reached out to the Rhino rack manufacturers again on Friday and now they are saying June. I’m sure I’ll let a few people get the system first so I do end up being the first wave sucker. But from my understanding you can remove the rack and leave the mounts on the Jeep with little effort. This would be good for seeing as when I put my RTT up on the Jeep I’ll no longer get through the garage door.

Dawn Patrol likes this.
  7. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

First Name:
    Dr. Yes, I am a
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 jeep jlu Rubicon with AEV 2.5 inch lift, LOD front and rear bumpers and Gobi roof rack
    Liked:
    Jeep Driver
    I have a 2018 JLU RUBI with a Gobi rack. I ordered the Gobi rack before the Jeep!! 20 weeks it took. I must say, the rack is amazing! I have slept on it under the stars!.. Static wt limit is 600 lbs. Moving, the wt limit is 300lbs. You really don't want much more weight that high. I have a tepui tent on my offload trailer but don't put it on my Jeep. When wheeling in Utah, I just pile gear on the Gobi and sleep on the ground under the stars. I flipped my old FJ and don't plan on flipping my jl. Gobi is a really odd company with really odd practices. They are hard to get hold of and really slow. BUTTTTTTTTT, their racks are awesome. I really dot think they are ugly. And no, you cannot tip the rack up with a RTT or awning attached... What are you thinking?????

Cokerat and Overland_Texas like this.
  8. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

First Name:
    Dr. Yes, I am a
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 jeep jlu Rubicon with AEV 2.5 inch lift, LOD front and rear bumpers and Gobi roof rack
    Liked:
    Jeep Driver
    just got back from the white rim trail in Canyonlands in Utah. I had a Road Shower and a bike on my Gobi rack and about another 150lb of gear held on with a Cargo net made by Raingler. The roof rack was amazing! if you are an overland, check out Raingler cargo nets.. Quality is second to none. Nothing moves! We slept under the stars.. Wow!

Raingler Nets likes this.
  9. landshark99

landshark99 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU Rubicon
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I just got the rhino installed with the backbone system, but to be honest I do not plan on taking my roof off so I cannot tell you how hard or easy it will be

shacdaddy likes this.
  10. Lohkay

Lohkay Member

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR
    Liked:
    I have the maximus-3 / pioneer with a burmis rtt. Works well but all these RTTs are made for crossbars and the slats on the pioneer are in the other direction. That being said, I was able to mount it for now but intend on changing the mounting a bit when I get the time.