Suggested Roof Racks for Mounting a RTT and/or a Foxwing

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
Here’s my 2 cents. Personally I don’t like any of the options on the market right now. The Gobi stops you from removing either of the tops and is just ugly. The Maximus 3 looks really clean but if you’re a top off fan when you don’t plan on camping, from what I hear it’s a total pain in the ass to remove the hard top. But once the hard top is removed you can put the rack back on the Jeep and use it.
Personally I am waiting to see the Pioneer Platform with the Backbone system. It looks as if you could remove the hard top just as you would without a rack on the roof. It has the static and dynamic load ratings to support A RTT and Awning.
Right now I’m running a Foxwing and Tepui tent on my home built trailer because of the lack of options.
Doesn't the Gobi rotate out of the way so you can take off the hard top and put the soft top on? I'm looking at the Gobi as an option for that reason - that it can be used with both a hard top and soft top.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Doesn't the Gobi rotate out of the way so you can take off the hard top and put the soft top on? I'm looking at the Gobi as an option for that reason - that it can be used with both a hard top and soft top.
Yes I believe it can flip back. Plan on waiting for almost a year though. Supposedly they are very backed up and slow on production. Someone on the forum i think ordered it like in October and just got it last month or so.

CJ-ING-RJ

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 73 CJ5, 07 Electra Glide
I believe so. But my thought is once you have a 140# RTT, a 7’ long Awning And any other gear up on the rack are you really going to be able to flip it up? I don’t know that would work.

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
I believe so. But my thought is once you have a 140# RTT, a 7’ long Awning And any other gear up on the rack are you really going to be able to flip it up? I don’t know that would work.
True, you would probably have to unload the rack to swap tops or slide the soft top back - but you would have to unload anyway if you were going to swap from the hard top to the soft top with a hard-top mounted rack, unless you have a heavy duty hoist and rack to hold it all.

Question to the forum population - has anyone with a rack like the Gobi one ever flipped it back with the tent on it?

Sponsored

CJ-ING-RJ

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 73 CJ5, 07 Electra Glide
I reached out to the Rhino rack manufacturers again on Friday and now they are saying June. I’m sure I’ll let a few people get the system first so I do end up being the first wave sucker. But from my understanding you can remove the rack and leave the mounts on the Jeep with little effort. This would be good for seeing as when I put my RTT up on the Jeep I’ll no longer get through the garage door.

Dr Evil

First Name
Dr. Yes, I am a
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep jlu Rubicon with AEV 2.5 inch lift, LOD front and rear bumpers and Gobi roof rack
Occupation
Jeep Driver
I have a 2018 JLU RUBI with a Gobi rack. I ordered the Gobi rack before the Jeep!! 20 weeks it took. I must say, the rack is amazing! I have slept on it under the stars!.. Static wt limit is 600 lbs. Moving, the wt limit is 300lbs. You really don't want much more weight that high. I have a tepui tent on my offload trailer but don't put it on my Jeep. When wheeling in Utah, I just pile gear on the Gobi and sleep on the ground under the stars. I flipped my old FJ and don't plan on flipping my jl. Gobi is a really odd company with really odd practices. They are hard to get hold of and really slow. BUTTTTTTTTT, their racks are awesome. I really dot think they are ugly. And no, you cannot tip the rack up with a RTT or awning attached... What are you thinking?????

Dr Evil

First Name
Dr. Yes, I am a
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep jlu Rubicon with AEV 2.5 inch lift, LOD front and rear bumpers and Gobi roof rack
Occupation
Jeep Driver
just got back from the white rim trail in Canyonlands in Utah. I had a Road Shower and a bike on my Gobi rack and about another 150lb of gear held on with a Cargo net made by Raingler. The roof rack was amazing! if you are an overland, check out Raingler cargo nets.. Quality is second to none. Nothing moves! We slept under the stars.. Wow!

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I just got the rhino installed with the backbone system, but to be honest I do not plan on taking my roof off so I cannot tell you how hard or easy it will be

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have the maximus-3 / pioneer with a burmis rtt. Works well but all these RTTs are made for crossbars and the slats on the pioneer are in the other direction. That being said, I was able to mount it for now but intend on changing the mounting a bit when I get the time.

Sponsored

EarlSwagger

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
OP,
I have done a ton of this with both my JKUR and now the JLUR. I use the maximus mounts with my Alu-Cab Gen 3 and shadow Awn. Not the same set up you have but a few things I had to think about and you might have/want to as well.

1- What is the purpose of the RTT? meaning is this jeep a full-time adventure rig, or do you want to remove the tent when not scheduled for adventure? These make the biggest difference to me as far as what rack I wanted. When the tent/awning is removed ( I daily drive the jeep) I didn't want it to look like it had a rack on it. The Gobi or frontrunner for that matter is awesome options if you plan to always have a rack on the rig. As someone else mentioned, if you want to run the soft top in the summer, those racks also help with that. I never will remove more than my freedom panels with my setup.

2-I like to hit pretty decent trails that tests the dynamic load of my roof. For this reason, I also decided on the mount-thru style rack. The cage style racks offer a solid amount of dynamic load rating, but again, when not on the roof. you almost don't know I have a rack mount.

All this rambling to say- decide how often your RTT and whatnot are on the truck, as it might determine the rack for you.

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited (LJ) & 2019 JLUR
Occupation
USMC