Sponsored

Suggested Mods for Expectant Father?

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Not so good with rear-facing infant seat... but when they get to be 2 or 25+pounds and start to sit in a front facing seat.
That’s generally incorrect.

While laws vary by state, the AAP recommendation is kids stay rear facing until they hit the height or weight limit of the rear facing seat they are in.

(So potentially rear facing until 3-4 years old or 35-45 lbs. as limits vary by brand/seat)
Sponsored

spenat

First Name
nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sting grey JLUR
Clubs

I bought the snoggle AC adapter for the rear seat.
Thing sucked. Barley any cold air to the rear.
Any other ideas?
Maybe just a couple small fans?

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

While laws vary by state, the AAP recommendation is kids stay rear facing until they hit the height or weight limit of the rear facing seat they are in.

(So potentially rear facing until 3-4 years old or 35-45 lbs. as limits vary by brand/seat)
All
I bought the snoggle AC adapter for the rear seat.
Thing sucked. Barley any cold air to the rear.
Any other ideas?
Maybe just a couple small fans?
I bought a couple small fans on a single base to mount to the roll bar. Then Corona happened and we havent been taking the kids out so I havent installed it. Whenever I do get around to it, I'll post pics of however I rig it up

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
My wife and I are expecting our first in the new year. Outside of the baby's car seat + base, seat protector/cover, and mirror, are there any internal modifications that you all would recommend to make life easier with a newborn/infant? Fortunately we have a JLU Sahara with the extra space over the two door. I am thinking a rear cargo shelf or other cargo organization mods might be useful. Thoughts?
Unless it's one of these...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_(1994_film)#/media/File:Juniorposter.jpg

... you're insulting all women when you call yourself an "expectant father".

As for making life easier... you already have it easy lol help them get in and out the Jeep more easily.

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S

Ehhhhh that's also a bit incorrect. Most seats/states want the kid rear facing until 2 years, yea, but if you go beyond that you better have a heck of a short kid or else they're not gonna fit in a read-facing seat unless it has a huge kick-out for their feet.

My daughter is coming up on 22 months. She's well under the weight limit and so still faces rear easily. She's not on track to be a basketball star or anything, but the foot extender is already at maximum to give her enough leg room. There's no way she'd make it to 3 or even 4 years old in a rear facing seat even if she was under the weight limit.

hannah

First Name
Hannah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brown Toyota
There's no way she'd make it to 3 or even 4 years old in a rear facing seat even if she was under the weight limit.
I hesitate to post because I'm not into telling other parents what to do with their kids. I just don't want to leave incorrect info out there in this thread when it's such an important topic. Kids can rear face until they are 4 or 5. The expectation is that they bend or cross their legs, they don't need leg room. They won't die from not having leg room, but they may die from their necks snapping forward in a front facing seat.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I hesitate to post because I'm not into telling other parents what to do with their kids. I just don't want to leave incorrect info out there in this thread when it's such an important topic. Kids can rear face until they are 4 or 5. The expectation is that they bend or cross their legs, they don't need leg room. They won't die from not having leg room, but they may die from their necks snapping forward in a front facing seat.
Like many things in life, there is a balance. Many of you may be like me and survived growing up running loose in the back of a vehicle on trips. But who knows how many more fellow Jeepers we might have with us today if their parents had buckled them up or put them in the proper car seat?

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Ehhhhh that's also a bit incorrect. Most seats/states want the kid rear facing until 2 years, yea, but if you go beyond that you better have a heck of a short kid or else they're not gonna fit in a read-facing seat unless it has a huge kick-out for their feet.

My daughter is coming up on 22 months. She's well under the weight limit and so still faces rear easily. She's not on track to be a basketball star or anything, but the foot extender is already at maximum to give her enough leg room. There's no way she'd make it to 3 or even 4 years old in a rear facing seat even if she was under the weight limit.
I get we’re not going to change your mind but It’s not incorrect. Disregarding the AAP’s guidance vs saying there “is no way” are not the same.

NHTSA has also dropped the “2yo age limit” for rear facing and gone to the height/weight recommendation.

States laws simply lag real time data.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer

I, too, feel the need to urge you to reconsider. Young kids are VERY flexible and don't have any problem riding around with their knees bent. In actual fact, my daughter spent the first 3 months of her life in a similar position to fix her hip dysplasia and it didn't bother her one bit. Please keep them rear-facing until they weight or height out of their seat. She's 27 months now and is still quite happy rear-facing despite being like 80-something percentile height/weight.

Sponsored

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Rear seat recline kit.

Rocker steps.

We're choosing to leave our rear hard top on until next year, baby'll be about 1.5 years.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I hesitate to post because I'm not into telling other parents what to do with their kids.
I appreciate that, but I'm not against taking advice. Thank you for the advice!
I get we’re not going to change your mind but It’s not incorrect.
I'm sorry you got the impression you're not going to change my mind. I only posted once, so I don't know where you got that from. I don't exactly appreciate you dissecting my rhetoric to make me look stubborn, though. "There's no way" is just an expression I used to convey my belief that she would quickly run out of leg room and was not meant to be taken as me refusing to do something recommended by the government or whomever. I know we live in Facebook culture where people probably overuse that stance all the time, so perhaps that's what you're used to responding to. My daughter will be rear facing until she hits the weight limit for her seat. She's currently 10 pounds under the limit, so I'm sure she'll make it well past 2 years until she hits the weight limit.
But I'm NOT WEARING a D@MN MASK!!!
I don't know if that was aimed at me, but I'm probably one of the more pro-mask, common sense people you could hope to meet. If you want to judge someone personally or troll, please take it to a different thread not involving children.

Thank you to those who responded to me without disparaging me personally. Sometimes people just don't know, and in this case I just didn't know. My daughter's doctor simply told us to keep her rear-facing until she was 2, and as I said, her leg room extender is already fully out, and I don't like seeing her have to contort to sit in the seat. But as you mentioned, it's better for her to bend or cross her legs and stay rear-facing, so I thank you for that info. Honestly that was info I did not have.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you to those who responded to me without disparaging me personally. Sometimes people just don't know, and in this case I just didn't know. My daughter's doctor simply told us to keep her rear-facing until she was 2, and as I said, her leg room extender is already fully out, and I don't like seeing her have to contort to sit in the seat. But as you mentioned, it's better for her to bend or cross her legs and stay rear-facing, so I thank you for that info. Honestly that was info I did not have.
This is likely the best, most level-headed and mature response to suggestions/advice in the history of the internet. You rock, dude.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Sometimes people just don't know, and in this case I just didn't know. My daughter's doctor simply told us to keep her rear-facing until she was 2, and as I said, her leg room extender is already fully out, and I don't like seeing her have to contort to sit in the seat.
Stick me in the "who knew?" group as well, we moved our daughter to front facing when she ran out of room because she was running out of room and got carsick really bad which immediately stopped when we turned her around.
Sponsored