Suggested forest roads for solo drive?

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
My girls are heading out for a Girl Scout trip in a couple weeks, that leaves my 13 year old son and I on our own. We'd like to pick a nearby forest road that is more of a drive than a real trail run, but someplace that will give us good views or, preferably, a lake we can check out. We're really looking for more of an easy forest road that won't risk us getting stuck since we'll be on our own (we'll bring recovery gear and emergency supplies just in case).

We're out near Enumclaw off of 410 and would prefer someplace nearby, but wouldn't mind driving a couple hours for the right trail.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
My girls are heading out for a Girl Scout trip in a couple weeks, that leaves my 13 year old son and I on our own. We'd like to pick a nearby forest road that is more of a drive than a real trail run, but someplace that will give us good views or, preferably, a lake we can check out. We're really looking for more of an easy forest road that won't risk us getting stuck since we'll be on our own (we'll bring recovery gear and emergency supplies just in case).

We're out near Enumclaw off of 410 and would prefer someplace nearby, but wouldn't mind driving a couple hours for the right trail.

Any suggestions?
I'm looking at doing the Mountain Loop Scenic Byway - paved part way, dirt much of it. Plenty of forest roads off of it to explore as well as some campsites if you want to spend the night. It goes between Granite Falls and Darrington - there's even a short hike to some ice caves. Here's a link for more info:
https://www.discovernw.org/Free_Publications/Mount_Baker_Snoqualmie_Mountain_Loop_Scenic_Byway.pdf

OP
OP
OldBird

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I'm looking at doing the Mountain Loop Scenic Byway - paved part way, dirt much of it. Plenty of forest roads off of it to explore as well as some campsites if you want to spend the night. It goes between Granite Falls and Darrington - there's even a short hike to some ice caves. Here's a link for more info:
thanks for the recommendation, that looks like a great trip that I will keep in mind for next time. I'm going to stick a little closer to home this time - I found a good forest service road that heads up to Lonesome Lake at Mount Rainier for this weekend. Here's the TrailsOffroad page on it:

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/2623-fs75-to-lonesome-lake

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks for the recommendation, that looks like a great trip that I will keep in mind for next time. I'm going to stick a little closer to home this time - I found a good forest service road that heads up to Lonesome Lake at Mount Rainier for this weekend. Here's the TrailsOffroad page on it:

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/2623-fs75-to-lonesome-lake
Hi. Did you make that drive this weekend? Looks like a nice one - you can either go or return along the river too, so you can have a bit of a loop.

OP
OP
OldBird

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Hi. Did you make that drive this weekend? Looks like a nice one - you can either go or return along the river too, so you can have a bit of a loop.
The trip was great. it was an easy and well maintained forest service road, so not exactly a "trail." But there were great views along the way and the lake was quiet and beautiful, even if we didn't catch any fish.

the river road is not accessible - the JL's navigation tried to take me that way on the way back and ended up going almost five miles out of the way only to have to turn around and go back up. Stick to FS-75 and follow the directions on TrailsOffroad and you won't get lost.

Sponsored

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The trip was great. it was an easy and well maintained forest service road, so not exactly a "trail." But there were great views along the way and the lake was quiet and beautiful, even if we didn't catch any fish.

the river road is not accessible - the JL's navigation tried to take me that way on the way back and ended up going almost five miles out of the way only to have to turn around and go back up. Stick to FS-75 and follow the directions on TrailsOffroad and you won't get lost.
Thanks. Was there a gate or some other blockage making the river road inaccessible?