Sponsored

Sudden shadows at slow speed on a sunny day can cause ADAS Driver Assist to brake and break your Jeep?

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
In a recent video, Scotty Kilmer shares the problem with a customer's Jeep (dunno which model). The Advanced Driver Assist System (ADAS) discussion is about 2 minutes long and starts 15 seconds into this video:

It's not just Jeep he rails against, it's the whole philosophy of ADAS in the industry. Really puts the 4SS in assist, don't it? Here's another anecdote from a 2020 Gladiator owner telling a similar story under similar circumstances: https://www.searchautoparts.com/mot...hen-2020-jeep-gladiator-throws-adas-curveball .

Anyone else have a related woeful tale or anecdotal incident to share? My Jeep doesn't have this level of ADAS, just an occasional back-seat driver, but I do wonder if it's really such a good idea to have an Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) as mandatory safety equipment on all US-made autos by 2022. My supposition is that there are statistics that suggest the risk of malfunction is far out-weighed by the benefits of accident prevention, but that's an opinion based on numbers. What do you think?
Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Another conspiracy theory!!! Lot of them on this forum.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
In a recent video, Scotty Kilmer shares the problem with a customer's Jeep (dunno which model). The Advanced Driver Assist System (ADAS) discussion is about 2 minutes long and starts 15 seconds into this video:

It's not just Jeep he rails against, it's the whole philosophy of ADAS in the industry. Really puts the 4SS in assist, don't it? Here's another anecdote from a 2020 Gladiator owner telling a similar story under similar circumstances: https://www.searchautoparts.com/mot...hen-2020-jeep-gladiator-throws-adas-curveball .

Anyone else have a related woeful tale or anecdotal incident to share? My Jeep doesn't have this level of ADAS, just an occasional back-seat driver, but I do wonder if it's really such a good idea to have an Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) as mandatory safety equipment on all US-made autos by 2022. My supposition is that there are statistics that suggest the risk of malfunction is far out-weighed by the benefits of accident prevention, but that's an opinion based on numbers. What do you think?
Are you really that gullible?

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Never had this happen to kine, but it has freaked out in a parking deck and slammed on the brakes a few times.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepney Johnny

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Are you really that gullible?
I think legendary poet/philosopher/dreamer David St. Hubbins said it best:
Jeep Wrangler JL Sudden shadows at slow speed on a sunny day can cause ADAS Driver Assist to brake and break your Jeep? 1593748663664

"I believe virtually everything I read, and I think that is what makes me more of a selective human than someone who doesn’t believe anything. " :LOL:

But on a serious note...If you're asking me do I think ADAS/AEB systems can brake a brand new Jeep or any other vehicle erroneously...? Sure, but I'm not just taking the word of a coupla strangers on the internet. No one and no thing is perfect. I've got some personal experience, the 19-year-old Chevy in my garage will sometimes apply a touch of stability control braking while going straight on a smooth freeway.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Wrangler JL Sudden shadows at slow speed on a sunny day can cause ADAS Driver Assist to brake and break your Jeep? 1593748663664

"I believe virtually everything I read, and I think that is what makes me more of a selective human than someone who doesn’t believe anything. " :LOL:

But on a serious note...If you're asking me do I think ADAS/AEB systems can brake a brand new Jeep or any other vehicle erroneously...? Sure, but I'm not just taking the word of a coupla strangers on the internet. No one and no thing is perfect. I've got some personal experience, the 19-year-old Chevy in my garage will sometimes apply a touch of stability control braking while going straight on a smooth freeway.
I’ve had four mopars with ADAS/AEB and never experienced any such thing. Sonar has to contact something not see shadows.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

A 19 year old "Chebby" has got what to do with a new Wrangler?

Not even the same technology used.
Sponsored