Sponsored

Sucks getting older and not having the strength. Lower control arm torque...

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Nice vette and color. Did not do the museum delivery on any of my vettes(3 - 2 Z06). Kind of wish I had now. I think my current Z06 will be my last, unless they bring back the manual. I am a museum member, though.

Yep, but if arc space is cramped in my opionion more teeth in the ratchet are better. Agree with you on the big turn, though.
I had just met a girl, been out to lunch twice I think and was going to pick up my Z and so I asked her if you would like to go, thinking she would say no, well she said yes, so it was our FIRST real Date, Miami to Bowling Green and back...we been married now 21 years.

Sent you a message, extract of my Museum Z06 pick up Trip Report
Sponsored

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
It ain't the wrenching, what seems to kick my rear end now is working on my back and getting up and down off the ground.
I'm with you there. I do my own oil /differential fluid changes and getting under the vehicle and back up a few times is not the easiest thing to do. My tire rotation kicks my rear end so I have been going to a local guy here who is willing to do it the way I want. Sometimes I do it, but for 40 bucks and a couple blocks away hard to beat. I'm 76 but young in mind. lol

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I bought a 1/2" drive torque wrench and deep socket with a short extension from HF to keep in my Jeep. It's really long so getting a wheel off is easy. I don't care about "abusing" the torque wrench if I need to use it to take off a wheel. I dont' plan on it happening very often and it won't hurt the torque wrench.

When I rotate tires I've got a breaker bar, impact gun, and torque wrench all with the right sized socket. I crack all the lugs on one side loose with the 2' breaker bar, jack the side up, remove the nuts with the impact driver, swap wheels and run the nuts on with the impact driver then torque.

It works for me. Fast and not too much effort.
x2 I have the same torque wrench in my storage cubby in the Jeep. And got it when they were like $10 on a regular basis, think the price is a whopping $15 now lol.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Is there anyone in this thread that's not eligible for AARP membership :LOL:

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I'm with you there. I do my own oil /differential fluid changes and getting under the vehicle and back up a few times is not the easiest thing to do. My tire rotation kicks my rear end so I have been going to a local guy here who is willing to do it the way I want. Sometimes I do it, but for 40 bucks and a couple blocks away hard to beat. I'm 76 but young in mind. lol
I know the feeling. In my mind I'm 30 years old and can still do anything. Sometimes I'll do something then pay for it later.
I'm a handy guy and have always worked on my own stuff. I don't look forward to the day when I no longer can.

Think I'll hoist a brew tonight in honor of all us old farts, LOL.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Is there anyone in this thread that's not eligible for AARP membership :LOL:
They only go by age alone, and I just turned 43. They don't account for mileage, and boy can I tell you, I'm all stop and go uphill mileage. On a good day I feel like 53, and the not so good days have me at 73. Too many years of treating myself like a rental.

Although, age has taught me many things, including...
Jeep Wrangler JL Sucks getting older and not having the strength.  Lower control arm torque... no-ragrets-no-regrets

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I know the feeling. In my mind I'm 30 years old and can still do anything. Sometimes I'll do something then pay for it later.
I'm a handy guy and have always worked on my own stuff. I don't look forward to the day when I no longer can.

Think I'll hoist a brew tonight in honor of all us old farts, LOL.
I'm 55 and can pretty much do anything. If you can do burpees then you can get up and down off the ground. Ha.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
I'm younger than all of you but I can never position my body in the right way to exert that kind of force on a torque wrench. At least not sideways underneath a Jeep. If I had a lift it'd be a different story.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Had to go big.

20230108_131444.jpg

Sponsored

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

This is pretty cool for keeping in the Jeep. I use mine for a lot of things. It flexes but has never broken when fully extended.
1/2 in. Drive Extendable Breaker Bar (harborfreight.com)
I played with that a bit in the store before grabbing the Icon 18in long, 1/2in drive breaker bar. It was a little ‘loose’ fit and was figuring I wouldn’t use it much since it will reside in the Jeep and only used on/off road. Even so, figured long term I (and whoever inherits it) would be better off with a fixed length.

wheels082

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2010 JKU, 1994 XJ
I bought a Tekton 1/2 drive 25-250 lb torque wrench that is longer than the other 1/2 drive torque wrenches I have. The extra length really helps. I also use it for lug nuts and anything with a higher torque requirement.

Ryand

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Unlimited Dies
So funny to see this. I just pulled and replaced springs and shocks front and back on Saturday. The last thing I tightened was the LCAs and I could barely move on Sunday :) glad I'm not alone

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
So funny to see this. I just pulled and replaced springs and shocks front and back on Saturday. The last thing I tightened was the LCAs and I could barely move on Sunday :) glad I'm not alone
Ha. I plan to do my front springs over the next couple of days, so this was a well timed thread.
Sponsored