Sponsored

Sucks getting older and not having the strength. Lower control arm torque...

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Were they at least 70 years old I hope :)
Not sure his age but he has referenced getting older but strong like bull 😉
Sponsored

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart
Damn, I'm 60, I thought I was one of the elder statesman, I hail to you folks "keeping it young at heart", and still wrenching, awesome!
I can still turn a wrench, just don't ask me to disconnect one of those #!@&!# electrical connectors, LOL.

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart
Fewer the teeth the less hard it is to make the big twist.

Picking up my Z06 Museum Delivery, HOPE you did same! Now if JEEP would only do that.
P1120041.JPG
Nice vette and color. Did not do the museum delivery on any of my vettes(3 - 2 Z06). Kind of wish I had now. I think my current Z06 will be my last, unless they bring back the manual. I am a museum member, though.

Yep, but if arc space is cramped in my opionion more teeth in the ratchet are better. Agree with you on the big turn, though.

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
A 3' section of this, in a large enough size to fit over the handle, makes it pretty easy...

Jeep Wrangler JL Sucks getting older and not having the strength.  Lower control arm torque... pipe.PNG

But that's not bad; you're not doing it but a few times....

What's annoying AF is the lug nuts for a tire rotation. They're easier to get to, but they're 130#, and you're loosening and tightening them for a total of 40x.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
A 3' section of this, in a large enough size to fit over the handle, makes it pretty easy...

pipe.PNG

But that's not bad; you're not doing it but a few times....

What's annoying AF is the lug nuts for a tire rotation. They're easier to get to, but they're 130#, and you're loosening and tightening them for a total of 40x.
I've been using my impact for removing, then use 100 ft lb torque stick on the impact to tighten them, then a torque wrench for the final 30 ft lbs, pretty easy that way :)
https://www.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-Torque-Limiting-Extension/dp/B08R82565Q

Jeep Wrangler JL Sucks getting older and not having the strength.  Lower control arm torque... 1673144334065

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Damn, I'm 60, I thought I was one of the elder statesman, I hail to you folks "keeping it young at heart", and still wrenching, awesome!
It ain't the wrenching, what seems to kick my rear end now is working on my back and getting up and down off the ground.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
How the hell do you guys get lower control arm bolts torqued down to 190lb fts while the vehicle is on the ground?
I do my rock crawler control arm Jam nuts with a HD crow foot and snap on 250 Ft # torque wrench on ramps and use my old leg to reach the Click of success.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It ain't the wrenching, what seems to kick my rear end now is working on my back and getting up and down off the ground.
I installed a new Adams 1310 on front of my 2013 JKU today in the cold damp air. Not much of a job really but required 160 ft lb setting on the yoke nut. I jacked up the side of the jeep held the t wrench in place and had my wife push down on wrench with foot. I was really happy that worked. Even so, the concrete, the cold dampness made me feel like I was beaten with a bag of rocks. Old achy bones.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been using my impact for removing, then use 100 ft lb torque stick on the impact to tighten them, then a torque wrench for the final 30 ft lbs, pretty easy that way :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Sucks getting older and not having the strength.  Lower control arm torque... 1673144334065
when I have to change tires on our Hutch bead locks it is a three stage torque on all the nuts 75, 90, 100. (something like that) I use just what you posted to get them close and then check with actual Torque wrench. 5 wheels x 18 bolts x 3 torque passes plus one by hand.....360. Its a full day of big fun. I "think" its worth it.....LOL.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
when I have to change tires on our Hutch bead locks it is a three stage torque on all the nuts 75, 90, 100. (something like that) I use just what you posted to get them close and then check with actual Torque wrench. 5 wheels x 18 bolts x 3 torque passes plus one by hand.....360. Its a full day of big fun. I "think" its worth it.....LOL.
Yeah, I actually have the set here from Harbor Freight, I could use the 130 ft lb stick but I prefer to do the final torque down by hand.
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-torque-limiting-extension-bar-set-10-piece-69870.html

Jeep Wrangler JL Sucks getting older and not having the strength.  Lower control arm torque... 1673151811312

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
I need a new impact wrench... I bought mine back when money was tight and the tightest lugnut you saw was 50#, and I bought accordingly. Pretty much all it's good for now is spinning 'em on & off after I've done the hard part.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
BTW my Super Duty F250 track bar from Carli wants me to Torque to 406 ft/lbs lol so i need to see how I’m gonna do that.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I'm a couple years past 60 now and there are other issues to contend with for me. Like getting up after laying on the pavement. I don't know why, but this thread inspired me to go to HF this morning and pick up a dedicated breaker bar and deep socket to keep in my JLR. Found a leftover piece of pipe insulation to sleeve it.

Was set on the 25in Icon but when seeing it in person, it was just a bit obnoxious. Settled on this one...

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-18-in-professional-breaker-bar-63856.html

Jeep Wrangler JL Sucks getting older and not having the strength.  Lower control arm torque... IMG_3685

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I'm a couple years past 60 now and there are other issues to contend with for me. Like getting up after laying on the pavement. I don't know why, but this thread inspired me to go to HF this morning and pick up a dedicated breaker bar and deep socket to keep in my JLR. Found a leftover piece of pipe insulation to sleeve it.

Was set on the 25in Icon but when seeing it in person, it was just a bit obnoxious. Settled on this one...

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-18-in-professional-breaker-bar-63856.html

Jeep Wrangler JL Sucks getting older and not having the strength.  Lower control arm torque... IMG_3685
I bought a 1/2" drive torque wrench and deep socket with a short extension from HF to keep in my Jeep. It's really long so getting a wheel off is easy. I don't care about "abusing" the torque wrench if I need to use it to take off a wheel. I dont' plan on it happening very often and it won't hurt the torque wrench.

When I rotate tires I've got a breaker bar, impact gun, and torque wrench all with the right sized socket. I crack all the lugs on one side loose with the 2' breaker bar, jack the side up, remove the nuts with the impact driver, swap wheels and run the nuts on with the impact driver then torque.

It works for me. Fast and not too much effort.
Sponsored