MountainRigged

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 23' JLUR 3.0L EcoDiesel
3.0L 23 Rubidiesel 3k miles.

We had a snow storm pass thru here in Texas recently, in which I had to ford the heavy snow sleet and ice, and froze up a lot of the steering knuckles, tie tod etc. Nothing seems affected Steering wise since it's all melted now, but after letting off Throttle I can hear a certain sucking Sound.

No leaks on the ground of any kind.
When I listen in the engine bay it comes from the red coolant area, which is a tad low as well.

Guessing I can ask the dealers to listen for it as well, and refill that. I have read they're picky about self Maintenance and records etc. I'm fine with them doing it for now. Would rather do it myself but I'll check their work after.

Any ideas? Or experienced similar?
Sponsored

BUSHRVN

First Name
MONTE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRANGLER JLU SAHARA HIGH ALTITUDE 3.0
Check your air filter ASAP!!!
May have gotten wet with snow/rain etc and it falling apart. Paper filter and water don’t mix.

OP
OP
MountainRigged

MountainRigged

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check your air filter ASAP!!!
May have gotten wet with snow/rain etc and it falling apart. Paper filter and water don’t mix.
Checked that already but nothing irregular

IllinoisChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Interesting. I have a similar sound that just started a couple of months ago. I have not opened the hood because I actually associated it with something spinning down after I stop. It could very well be exactly what you have going on. Following to see if your dealer identifies an issue.

Sponsored

ALeeL

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
If it happens every time you build boost and quickly let off the throttle, then it is likely your turbo actuating the vanes to release all the the boost pressure built up to protect itself. Turbo shafts and blades do not handle abrupt changes very well. Since these engines do not appear to have waste gates, the turbo actuator will use the vanes on the turbo to act like one to relieve all that pressure you built up and now has nowhere to go so it goes back the way it came, through the air filter. It is called a turbo fart.

Last edited:

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
Kinda sound like a fluttering goose? Turbo soundz

OP
OP
MountainRigged

MountainRigged

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it happens every time you build boost and quickly let off the throttle, then it is likely your turbo actuating the vanes to release all the the boost pressure up built up to protect itself. Turbo shafts and blades do not handle abrupt changes very well. Since these engines do not appear to have waste gates, the turbo actuator will use the vanes on the turbo to act like one to relieve all that pressure you built up and now has nowhere to go so it goes back the way it came, through the air filter. It is called a turbo fart.
Interesting. This is the first turbo I've owned. Is this normal? I had not heard it before, but I also can't hear it unless the windows are down.
If it happens every time you build boost and quickly let off the throttle, then it is likely your turbo actuating the vanes to release all the the boost pressure up built up to protect itself. Turbo shafts and blades do not handle abrupt changes very well. Since these engines do not appear to have waste gates, the turbo actuator will use the vanes on the turbo to act like one to relieve all that pressure you built up and now has nowhere to go so it goes back the way it came, through the air filter. It is called a turbo fart.

This is also when just shutting down, it sounds like fluid draining or being sucked in the system somewhere.

Here's an extended clip also

It resembles an airplane flying high up in the sky or so, but just when I'm over 2000 rpm or so when the turbo is hitting.

No lights or codes yet

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
MountainRigged

MountainRigged

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's the waste-gate dumping the excess pressure from your turbo. It's spinning fast enough that it still generates flow and pressure after you let off the throttle.
Even when shutting down? Yours sounds the same as the video?

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

Even when shutting down? Yours sounds the same as the video?
Yes. Any time you drop demand, the air still has to go somewhere. Practically every turbo does this. How audible it is is simply a function of how guarded the outlet of the wastegate is, how insulated the turbo is, how large it is, many factors like that.

(E) I hear it the most prominently when cresting a hill or similar unloading while off-roading.

OP
OP
MountainRigged

MountainRigged

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. Any time you drop demand, the air still has to go somewhere. Practically every turbo does this. How audible it is is simply a function of how guarded the outlet of the wastegate is, how insulated the turbo is, how large it is, many factors like that.
Really.. hmm.. I hadn't noticed it up until the winter storm a couple days ago. Interesting. I might stop by And check with another ecodiesel on the lot just to give my mind solace that it's normal.

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

Really.. hmm.. I hadn't noticed it up until the winter storm a couple days ago. Interesting. I might stop by And check with another ecodiesel on the lot just to give my mind solace that it's normal.
I can record mine for you, but just a quick google can bring this boat engine with a turbo giving a similar sound to help give you more assurance.
Sponsored