Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Thanks Roy. Great recommendation. Can FBC be used on conjunction with Hot Shots Secret?
Yes. I’d check the FAQ of whatever FBC you choose, but the better Diesel FBC can for sure. That and the hotshots secret EDT or their winter version are my go to’s.

They specifically state you are not supposed to premix them though. Which I do on occasion :blush:
Sponsored

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
@Compression-Ignition What brand FBC do you use? I've never heard of this either. Most of my during the week trips are short hops, where on the weekend it gets run out.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I'm curious: for those that have driving practices that support passive regens, does the DPF% drop below 8%, or is 8% the floor?
8% is my floor, it’s funny how it’ll linger there momentarily and then jump up to 12%.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
@Compression-Ignition What brand FBC do you use? I've never heard of this either. Most of my during the week trips are short hops, where on the weekend it gets run out.
It’s linked in a previous post of mine on page 2. I just don’t want to seem like I am spamming for them. Search Better Diesel FBC on the web.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
It’s linked in a previous post of mine on page 2. I just don’t want to seem like I am spamming for them. Search Better Diesel FBC on the web.
This was a great tip. The only issue I see with Better Diesel is that you are required to buy two bottles at once. I only drive 5,000/year; the 2nd bottle will go likely bad before I get to it. The other products on the market don't specifically state that they are "fuel bourne catalysts". Any tips on key words (indicating FBC) to watch for to explore the rest of the FBC market? Or...do you have a Better Diesel vendor that sells one bottle at a time?

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@Compression-Ignition, I'm now on my 2nd tank of fuel treated with Better Diesel. My driving patterns are boringly consistant and my (previous) miles-between-regens have averaged 135. As I write this, my DPF% is at 70% and it's been a little over 200 miles since the last regen. Could be the placebo effect, but that's a 50%+ increase. :)

Thanks for the tip Roy!

Last edited:

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
Bought some stuff for the Jeep today to help with the regens. Bought the Scanguage 2 to monitor and some of this FBC. I'm like @rickinAZ , 1 bottle would have been good to see if it worked. 2 bottles should last me all of 2023 and into 2024. I'll give some report back with my findings as well.

I know this has gone away from the Forced Regens.

CableDaddy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURD “Valkyrie”
Occupation
Engineering Technician V
I
For context, I'm retired, drive short hops only, and therefore never trigger a passive regen. The Jeep has 10,600 miles.

A few months ago my Jeep was regening about twice as often as usual and the DPF%s were bouncing around erratically, as opposed to increasing 1% at time. I took it to the dealer, they performed a forced regen, and my issues cleared up completely - frankly, I was surprised. But...I don't like going to the dealer unless there's a gun to my head.

So...fast-forward to this morning. I unpacked my new Foxwell NT510 Elite ($170 after rebate on Amazon), did a quick setup, and gave it a go.
  • Plug the scanner into the OBD (engine and key off)
  • Push the Jeep's start button twice to get to "run"
  • Allowed the scanner to "find" my VIN.
  • I navigated to the regen command. Don't recall the exact sequence of buttons, but it was intuitive. [Remember the Alfaobd intiminated me; this did not.]
  • Started the engine
  • Activated the regen on the scanner

The rpms raised to 2,500 and stayed there for 19 minutes, and then the engine returned to idle. My soot level was initially only at 50%; at 80% it may have taken longer. Unfortunately, the scanner now occupied the OBD slot so I was unable to monitor soot percentage progress and exhaust temperatures via my iDash. I switched off the ignition, replaced the scanner with my iDash cable, and, voila, DPF was sitting at 8%.

This was a stationary forced regen, not one that required driving.

I was originally going to use Alfaobd on a Windows PC (I don't have an Android device), but the instructions were intimidating, and I wanted a unit that I could keep in my glovebox.
I don’t know why but having followed your lead my unit says nothing about regen. I wonder if my unit is different somehow. Did you have to use a 12+8 adapter by chance? Mine told me to and just isn’t presenting anything but resetting the oil change indicator, resetting the ecu, and set vin.

EDIT: I am now in the middle of a regen. Hopefully it completes. Apparently the 2023 menu doesn’t have the forced regen as an option so, being the mischievous jeeper that I am, I went under the 2022 menu, and there it was. And it didn’t cause me any issues. If I don’t update this again, it worked and I’m GTG, and this is my endorsement of this option. I am connected via the 12+8 adapter cable but I will try it next time without. Again, if I don’t update, that option worked too.

Last edited:

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JKURD AEV JL370; 2014 GC Overland Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Guys: so that I’m perfectly clear, should we be using FBC and an additives like Hot Shots? I own a 2014 GC eco with 118k and I’ve had tons of engine problems (still covered under the extended diesel warranty from when FCA had their own “dieselgate” - 1700 miles left on that warranty). I wonder if I would have had less problems had I been using a fuel additive all along.

I also have a 2023 JLUD with 16k miles now and I want to start using the correct additive on a weekly basis. Is there a good thread someone can point me to on all of this? And this weekend we are going below 0° for a couple of nights at our farm (no heated garage), so I will be getting the Mopar Premium Fuel Additive today from the dealer (which is recommended in the Diesel supplement owner’s manual).

edit a couple of weeks later: I’ve decided to use hotshots every day diesel treatment in every other tank of diesel.

Last edited:

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
hi everyone, just ran into this post, question :
when does the regen happen ? ive never seen a regen message since i bought the truck
im around 16k miles, 22 JL , thanks

Sponsored

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JKURD AEV JL370; 2014 GC Overland Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
when does the regen happen ? ive never seen a regen message since i bought the truck
I have a 2023 with 17,500 miles on it and I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a regen message on this vehicle yet either. I own a 2014 grand Cherokee East Eco diesel and see the regen every few months if I remember correctly.

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
From what I remember, unless you're in dire need of regen, these will do a passive regen while you're driving. Otherwise, this is what you'll see if your Jeep needs to purge some kaka:

20200217_055842-jpg.jpg

That being said, I haven't seen it either, but I'd be curious just how often it's passively regenerating.

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd
Regens are happening all the time. You should only get the message on the dash when the system hasn’t burned down to 8% on dpf in a few regens.

I use a scanguage II to monitor dpf%, regen, and turbo temp. All important on the diesel.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OP here. Regens start when the DPF reaches 80%. You’d never know without a gauge (Scanguage or iDash). Best investment you’ll ever make. Also…consider getting a throttle enhancer - it wakes up the EcoDiesel.

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
OP here. Regens start when the DPF reaches 80%. You’d never know without a gauge (Scanguage or iDash). Best investment you’ll ever make. Also…consider getting a throttle enhancer - it wakes up the EcoDiesel.
I have the Derringer , i think it shows regen ? and yes im going to get the throttle monster

Also i have another brand new derringers', if you know anyone looking for one, i bought 2 , dont ask me why lol
Sponsored