Sponsored

Subtle But Strange Acceleration Grinding Noise From Transmission?

Planetgambale

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler sport
I have seen others discuss problems hearing strange noises coming from their engine or transmission during acceleration and possibly between gear shifts but I have not seen the solution or source of the problem posted. I have a 2018 JLU sport with automatic transmission. When at lower speeds between 5-40 you can hear a strange rattling or semi-grinding noise that sounds like gears grinding. I have taken it into the dealer in Norco, CA once before and of course they could not "hear" or diagnose the problem. Anyhow, I would post the a clip of the sound, but over the wind noise and engine noise, it is very difficult to capture the noise when sitting in the driver's seat or otherwise. If anyone has any advice to offer I would appreciate it as I am coming close to the end of my warranty.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
No help but I also get a weird combo of shrieking and grinding and howling when it shifts, but it's quite uncommon.

OP
OP
Planetgambale

Planetgambale

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler sport
No help but I also get a weird combo of shrieking and grinding and howling when it shifts, but it's quite uncommon.
Ya I would say mine is certainly not making the nose everytime either but it makes it enough to where it's a concern.

BigGump

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlus
I have been going crazy looking for this as well. I have a 2018 manual and it appears to make the noise when the car is warm. I originally thought it was from the transmission as I've heard it usually when accelerating from 2nd gear but after a few experiments, it's happening when accelerating from low speed. Anyhelp would be appreciated.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I have seen others discuss problems hearing strange noises coming from their engine or transmission during acceleration and possibly between gear shifts but I have not seen the solution or source of the problem posted. I have a 2018 JLU sport with automatic transmission. When at lower speeds between 5-40 you can hear a strange rattling or semi-grinding noise that sounds like gears grinding. I have taken it into the dealer in Norco, CA once before and of course they could not "hear" or diagnose the problem. Anyhow, I would post the a clip of the sound, but over the wind noise and engine noise, it is very difficult to capture the noise when sitting in the driver's seat or otherwise. If anyone has any advice to offer I would appreciate it as I am coming close to the end of my warranty.
Issues reported during the warranty period are covered even if not diagnosed until the warranty expires. I reported a problem with my 89 Bronco 3 times that they claimed they couldn’t find. The first time I took it in after the warranty expired they found it,fixed it, and tried to charge me. I showed them the 3 repair orders written during the warranty period and they couldn’t charge me. So keep your copies.
Sponsored