Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of so-called auto enthusiasts, and a few snobby auto magazines, argue that Wranglers aren’t fun to drive.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I’ve heard to narrow, to “boxey”, lousy gas mileage, blah blah blah.
It’s frigid here in NY as I post but I got in my Jeep this afternoon, backed out of the garage, waited for the wife to come down, looked up at my auto roof and over at my passenger door and all by myself like an idiot I shouted “I can’t f**king wait for spring!”

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Yea, people flock to buy their insipid appliances. Cars with personality are not as common nowadays.
They have no personality at all. Is there even a Toyota or Honda built that makes the owner say, I am dropping 12,000+ dollars into this thing for fun? Nope, Sure it does the job well, but they stand out like a claw hammer amongst other claw hammers on the shelf at Home Depot or Lowes. They just don't matter, they all do the same job, they take you to Krogers to buy bread and milk.. Zero fun.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Toyota and Honda have lost much of their past luster, no doubt.

Personally, I have a hard time finding a Toyota product that turns my crank. I gave Tacoma a try and was out of there in six months. My main issues were a weak motor, a stubborn transmission, and an uncomfortable driver seat. But it was really well put together, and it took me only 1 week to sell it; I got most my money back.

Toyota is still one of the best-run automakers; it remains the world's most valuable auto brand, as it’s been for the past 20+ years. Toyota —and Lexus— dealers are the most profitable franchises, and NADA (National Auto Dealers Association) publishes an independent annual study that shows Toyota and Lexus have the happiest dealers. Of the Top-10 vehicles with the strongest resale, half are Toyotas. And Toyota, along with Honda and Subaru, report the highest levels of customer retention.

The secret to Toyota’s sauce is that they know (1) what the majority of buyers want, (2) how to deliver good value for money, (3) how to keep customers coming back over and over.

Meanwhile, FCA is going through its nth merger...acquisition...takeover...or whatever they think they need to call it.
Here is the real difference between a Jeep and a Honda and a Toyota. Back in 1992, I took a friend for a ride in my Jeep. It was summer, the perfect temperature, the top and doors were off and we just cruised around the city for a while. My bud Jimmy, will still bring that experience/time up during conversation. He is not a Jeep owner, has never been a Jeep owner, but the Jeep experience is one of his favorite memories to re-share with me. Even after 29 years....... There is not one person on the planet that looks back 29 years and dreams about riding in a Honda or Toyota.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You guys underestimate Toyota owners.

Here’s a 25-year old Toyota Tacoma with a dealer-installed TRD supercharged that has 600,000+ miles that still gets used as a work truck on a daily basis.

Jeepers drive with the top down; Toyota owners drive for half a million miles or more. I’m not a Toyota owner, but each has its charm in its own way.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
You guys underestimate Toyota owners.

Here’s a 25-year old Toyota Tacoma with a dealer-installed TRD supercharged that has 600,000+ miles that still gets used as a work truck on a daily basis.

Jeepers drive with the top down; Toyota owners drive for half a million miles or more. I’m not a Toyota owner, but each has its charm in its own way.

You can find Jeeps like that with 400,000 miles on them that have been beat on the trail for most of their life.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Here is the real difference between a Jeep and a Honda and a Toyota. Back in 1992, I took a friend for a ride in my Jeep. It was summer, the perfect temperature, the top and doors were off and we just cruised around the city for a while. My bud Jimmy, will still bring that experience/time up during conversation. He is not a Jeep owner, has never been a Jeep owner, but the Jeep experience is one of his favorite memories to re-share with me. Even after 29 years....... There is not one person on the planet that looks back 29 years and dreams about riding in a Honda or Toyota.
I'm sure there are plenty of people dreaming about riding in a Supra MK4 and NSX rather than a throwaway Wrangler. Plenty of people will also put $12k+ into them for fun.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
It's probably unavoidable, considering how long Jeeps have been around. There's some version out there that represents the faults people have heard.

This is my first Wrangler, and I was expecting a cold, loud, rough ride with a sluggish engine, bad gas milage, a high center of gravity, a frustrating soft top and a clutch pedal that needed two hundred pounds of force.

I got a m/t that shifts like a Honda, an engine and road noise that was unexpectedly quiet, with plenty of grunt (in the right gear), and I'm averaging 24mpg. It has the hottest and quickest to warm up heater I've ever used, a smooth ride with cornering as good as any SUV I've had, and a soft top that's simple to operate. Basically, none of the issues that I was prepared for.

That's not to say this generation is without fault... But none of the more common misconceptions, from what I can tell. I could see the rampant steering problems from this generation making its way into the snowball of Jeep lore. Nothing's perfect I suppose.
It is my first Jeep and a manual transmission as well and it is an absolute blast to drive to the store or on a rocky trail. I would talk one of my kids out of taking a family vacation just to take the Jeep and avoid driving my wife's minivan.

Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
They have no personality at all. Is there even a Toyota or Honda built that makes the owner say, I am dropping 12,000+ dollars into this thing for fun? Nope, Sure it does the job well, but they stand out like a claw hammer amongst other claw hammers on the shelf at Home Depot or Lowes. They just don't matter, they all do the same job, they take you to Krogers to buy bread and milk.. Zero fun.
My first car was a 1988 Toyota Corolla SR5 coupe. Didn't have it for long, but the darn thing was pretty fun, even if the sunroof leaked. Back in our teenage years in the mid/late 90s, my buddy had a 1996 Civic coupe. Great little car, highly modifiable and fun. My brother in law had a S2000. Great car as well, legendary, really, but i guess it was too much fun for Honda that they had to discontinue it.

When I met my wife she had a 2005 Honda Civic. Man, what a boring car. Looked and drove like a funeral. Transmission went on it, so it was not bullet proof either. They did much better with the 8th gen but that didn't last long. Current 10th gen is so bloated and over-designed with so many angles it looks like it'd be a decepticon. Parents had a 2005 Corolla for many years, and it was the same bland experience as my wife's '05 Civic. Dearth of any personality and looks, but it did last them a long time.

You used to be able to get cars that looked good, were reliable AND fun with Toyota and Honda, but they've sucked the life out of them and now they are great if you're just looking to get from A to B in a lull for 300K miles. It's like Ned Flanders suddenly took over them.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
One of my favorites is “Wranglers are so hard to see out, why would you drive that?” Thats a dead giveaway they’ve never actually driven a Wrangler before, ever. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve met who assume visibility is awful just because the spare tire is slightly in the way looking out the back.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
My kids can recount some of the off-roading we have done or driving with the top off or tops and doors off. They tell their high school friends. They tell their friends we are picking them up in the Jeep. They never once said any of that in our Honda Pilot or Subaru Impreza.

The crazy thing is I can drive 250 miles in a day on the highways and roads and the damn thing is completely at home and then I can just turn down an rutted up dirt road that goes who knows where and it is completely at home doing that too.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
About the Honda/Toyota issue: Jeep has made some pretty lame vehicles too, but we don't judge the Wrangler by the crappy Jeeps. This is the same with all auto manufactures (except for maybe Koenigsegg, Arial, Lotus etc.).

I can't see anyone dreaming about a 2007 Patriot unless it's a nightmare.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
My 5 ft. 5 in. mom asked me why I got a Wrangler (again) and lifted it. She says it’s like climbing a mountain to get in/out when I take her to church on Sundays. I told her that people had to climb a mountain to listen to Jesus in the Bible so I’m just doing my part to help her live a true Christian life :LOL:!
Sponsored