Sponsored

Stupid Things Dealers and their Sales People have said about the Wrangler

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
After emailing back and forth about the JL, I was told that I should stop by and test drive. I said I’m only interested in test driving a Rubicon and/or a manual. The response was that they had some of both of those.

I was sceptical that this rural dealership had multiple JLs, so drove through the lot on my way through town today.

1 Sahara, auto

Rafts of JKs.

If you don’t know that they aren’t the same thing, I’m certainly not going to trust you with my build.
Sponsored

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
Me: "I hear that the new Freedom Top is lighter?"
Dealer: "That's right. The new Freedom Top is 100% lighter."
Me: "What about the doors?"
Dealer: "Ummmmm, oh yes. The doors are also 100% lighter"
Me: "When will you get some Saharas in?"
Dealer: "They are not starting to produce Saharas till the Fall."

That dealer did NOT get my business.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Me: "I hear that the new Freedom Top is lighter?"
Dealer: "That's right. The new Freedom Top is 100% lighter."
Me: "What about the doors?"
Dealer: "Ummmmm, oh yes. The doors are also 100% lighter"
Me: "When will you get some Saharas in?"
Dealer: "They are not starting to produce Saharas till the Fall."

That dealer did NOT get my business.
So if I get it right... 100% lighter as in... weight-free ?!?!

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
So if I get it right... 100% lighter as in... weight-free ?!?!
That's what she said. When we left, I verified with my wife that she heard the same thing. That particular salesperson didn't have their own desk yet, and hopefully they won't ever get one!

Sponsored

Jethris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2106 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
My sales guy (who was very pushy) said that a new feature of the JL's is that the small trunk is locked when the tailgate is closed, and that is a new feature.

No, I have it on my 2009 JK. I had to show him.

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
The other day I went in for the first oil change. I walked out to the parking lot to get a ride with my buddy and noticed a granite crystal JLU with the mopar side steps and a lift and tires. I walked over to see the side steps and information on the lift and tires, which there was none but a salesman noticed me looking at it and came out to assist. He started talking jeep information so told him I was checking out the side steps and I asked him if the lift was the 2” mopar lift.

He replied “I don’t know, I know we did it though...” and he walked over to the jeep, pointed to the shocks and said “This is actually a Fox lift.”

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

TXRobD

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma, 2018 JLUR Sting Gray
Not my sales guy but a different sales guy while I was picking up my jeep: "Is that your jeep out there?" "I like that Rhino color"
Me: "It's not Rhino it's called Sting Gray"
Guy: "OOOO I like that Stingray Gray"

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
This wasn't something they said, but when I went to buy my Jeep I was home with everything for about 2 hours and it just hit me, they didn't have me pay my down payment. I actually called my sales guy to let him know and he was speechless on the phone.

Sponsored

JamesDirt67

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKUR and ‘18 JLUR
"What's a half door?" at which point I had to explain to the sales manager in detail what a half door actually was (who obviously should know better since they were a factory option at the time).

That was 4 years ago and I'm STILL pissed about the dishonest and incompetent stuff that they said and did. But I have the last laugh: after that experience, we purchased our next THREE Jeeps from other dealers instead of them (and they are only 1.5 miles from my house).

Last edited:

EsTxDr

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
God bless each and everyone of you that actually take the time to listen to the misinformation being spewed by salesmen. This is gonna be a great thread to follow!

My patience for that sort of thing has long past. I’ll visit once for a test drive and tell the them I’m not buying today. After that it is an email blast at the end of the month to see who needs to move cars to weed out the best deal. I’ll walk in, sign papers and the deal is done. On the JL, this will likely mean a special order, but I’m ok with that.
Yeah, I've got little time or patience for this stuff anymore. Maybe I'm getting old. Went to my in town Jeep dealer (recently purchased, used to be autonation) and drove a Sahara because "its the same thing really". I'm new to jeep and never even drove one before that day ... yet I was answering his questions. He then pushed hard to get me to buy (on the spot) one of the two white rubicons he has "coming on the truck" and then drive it while he does a dealer trade for what I want. This was after telling me he did a "nationwide search of inventory" and no one had the rubicon I wanted. He called for days offering me the "on the truck" rubicon that was wrong color and missing what I wanted. Even stated he couldn't order what I wanted due to "limited supply" and I should "take what I can get now and trade later".

Finally I emailed the out of town dealership who just purchased that dealership and drive 45 minutes to him. He was laid back, let me build it on his computer, asked and verified the build 3 times before ordering it. Went and looked up answers and was right on them all. Took $3k off the invoice on the spot and offered me a $1000 refundable deposit. Asked me about jeeps, talked about Go Topless and everything. He got my business. The first salesperson is going to feel silly when I drive my new rubicon in for service at his shop. Maybe I'll just drive out of town for service though, I hate pushy sales people.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
I asked about the red dash color because the Jeep site showed a grey version. My guy said that the red dash was a Rubicon iconic feature.
I was talking with my car salesman the other day about work ethic in general. He said that he regularly gets asked by the newbies, what is your trick?
He said, take the vehicles out for a drive and learn the features. He said that once you begin to guess about features you typically do not get the sale. I agreed. I sold cameras, equipment and accessories while in college. I took home every pamphlet and learned the equipment forwards and backwards.
It made things so much easier, and in the end I was regularly the high salesman with out really trying too hard.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I've got little time or patience for this stuff anymore. Maybe I'm getting old. Went to my in town Jeep dealer (recently purchased, used to be autonation) and drove a Sahara because "its the same thing really". I'm new to jeep and never even drove one before that day ... yet I was answering his questions. He then pushed hard to get me to buy (on the spot) one of the two white rubicons he has "coming on the truck" and then drive it while he does a dealer trade for what I want. This was after telling me he did a "nationwide search of inventory" and no one had the rubicon I wanted. He called for days offering me the "on the truck" rubicon that was wrong color and missing what I wanted. Even stated he couldn't order what I wanted due to "limited supply" and I should "take what I can get now and trade later".

Finally I emailed the out of town dealership who just purchased that dealership and drive 45 minutes to him. He was laid back, let me build it on his computer, asked and verified the build 3 times before ordering it. Went and looked up answers and was right on them all. Took $3k off the invoice on the spot and offered me a $1000 refundable deposit. Asked me about jeeps, talked about Go Topless and everything. He got my business. The first salesperson is going to feel silly when I drive my new rubicon in for service at his shop. Maybe I'll just drive out of town for service though, I hate pushy sales people.
I had something like that happen as well. The local dealer told me that I would have to order from the factory that day or it would not be built at all (this was January) then I shared with him a couple days later the pricing I had been quoted from dealers about 2 hours away, he called me a liar even after I showed him 2 separate quotes. I walked away and then he called the next day and said he would get within 1%, and I told him that was 1% too high. About an hour after a sales person from a sister dealer who was about 30 minutes away from me. He offered the lowest price and had the best service. I gave him my deposit and ordered it right then and there. I drove by the local dealer with the top off and door less and the sales person came out and was looking at the Jeep, I told him what I paid and he again called me a liar. I then handed him the sales contract and his jaw hit the ground. It was a petty move on my part but I do not like being called a liar.

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
This wasn't something they said, but when I went to buy my Jeep I was home with everything for about 2 hours and it just hit me, they didn't have me pay my down payment. I actually called my sales guy to let him know and he was speechless on the phone.
Hope no one minds if I take this a bit off track, but it does regard stupid dealer actions. I had a similar situation arise with my 2016 Vette purchase. It was a complicated deal in that I had a previous 08 Vette that I sold privately to a GM employee out of province. His auto industry knowledge allowed him to employ a scheme where my dealer would accept the 08 it as a trade-in, put it on a truck to a GM dealership at the buyer's location, who would accept ownership and then sell to the buyer who had a trade-in of his own. There was a tax benefit to everyone involved, so I agreed.

It was known that the new Vette would not be delivered to me for 6 months so we agreed that the trade-in value minus a $5,000 deposit would be returned to me, and I would pay the overall balance at delivery. On delivery, they presented me with one of the most convoluted bills I have ever seen with credits here and debits there related to the trade that were beyond my immediate comprehension. I just looked at the bottom line and knew it was $5,000 less than what was owed.

I knew that the error was a double counting of my $5k deposit and later confirmed it with an accountant friend. I argued this with the financial office who took it personally. He called in the finance manager for the dealership and said what they were doing was absolutely accurate and I was wrong. Only at this late point did the voice in my head begin shouting "shut up...shut up...shut up..." This was a $5,000 error in my favour.

We all agreed that I would cut the cheque based on their lower number and I drove away thinking I'd barely escaped with an unanticipated deal. Then came the call from the financial officer three weeks later, at their financial month end, jokingly referring to our previous discussion and saying I was right all along and I could come in any time to drop off the $5k cheque. No apology for the error.

I discussed this with a lawyer, who said that Canadian law allowed recovery of a mathematical error within a contractual agreement for a period of 7 years, so I was on the hook. He did say that it was perfectly valid to say you acted on their advice and spent the funds so that there would be a recoverable cost of money. Bottom line is that they agreed to take $4,000. Never did get an apology.
Sponsored