auxSwitch

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubi, FZ6
Vehicle Showcase
In November I was told that JLs wouldn't be available until mid-2018, and they will be much pricier than JKs (they now have 3 JLs in stock as of today, but they were right on the latter - the prices I see on their website are higher than what configurator gives me), so JK's were a good deal. Especially JK Sport S (because who really needs a Rubicon?) - and they just happened to have one in stock.
Sponsored

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
I wrote the following on another forum on September 17, 2017 after my dealership called me to come down and price out a JL order. I did know what I was getting into and had my reasons to pursue a futile exercise.

I just came back from my 1:00 appointment and I can now confirm that the entire dealership is clueless. At 10:30 this morning, I get a call from the sales manager confirming my appointment and saying how they're really looking forward to putting me in a new Rubicon. It smacks of desperation, confirmed when I get there and I am swarmed by unoccupied sales people asking if they can help. I tell them I have an appointment for which I am exactly on time only to discover that the one occupied salesperson is mine. I am then shuffled off to the waiting room where I am the only one there.

After 5 minutes, my salesperson shows up with her "assistant" in tow. It's the first time I've ever encountered a sales assistant. She says she's occupied, but that her assistant is the dealership Wrangler expert and he'll take care of me. She then disappears, never to be seen by me again.

The assistant takes me to his desk, fires up his computer and says he'll walk me through a JL configuration. I let him fumble with his system for the next five minutes as I pointed out every page he landed on was for the JK. It was apparent he had no idea what he was talking about. I'm pretty sure he thought the JL was a model like the Sport or Sahara and kept scrolling through the order screen looking for it.

I finally put him out of his misery and explained what the JL was and how it's not expected for another three months. He disappeared to talk to one of the management staff only to return sheepishly and admit they have no access to JL ordering. He apologises and offers to walk me out and I show him my 2010 Rubi. He commented that he's envious of the vehicle since he just finished school and has student loans to pay that will prevent him from becoming a Wrangler owner for years.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is my dealership's Wrangler expert.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I told a salesman I was interested in the 6 speed but I wanted to see how it drove first, and he told me it was the same as the "old one"... I told him he needed to read up on the internet before saying that...

Farmdawg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
I told a salesman I was interested in the 6 speed but I wanted to see how it drove first, and he told me it was the same as the "old one"... I told him he needed to read up on the internet before saying that...
The salesman I talked to didn't think that the 6 speed was still made...

Sponsored

azjlur

First Name
Angie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
My salesman insisted that the Rubicon they just got in (which I couldn't see because the owner was driving it!) was a Recon. I let him go with it for awhile but then couldn't take it anymore and had to set him straight.

SpyDJeep

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"18 JLUR Punk'n, '11 JKU Mango tango, '17 JKU Granite crystal, 98 XJ plow jeep
Vehicle Showcase
A sales guy at my local dealer came up to me and said how much he loves the new Jeep but hates how they still used the same old shitty antennae as the old Jeep, he said they should've used a transponder type and installed on the hard top like all other modern day vehicles. :facepalm:

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
Lol, this should be a fun thread! Got my popcorn!:cwl:

Fortunately, my salesman told me up front he didn't know much about the JL, so he said he'd just do what I needed him to do. He's a good dude.

As Josey Wales, or Dirty Harry, or one of Eastwood's great characters said, "A man's gotta know his limitations."
Great movies!

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
My first dealer was pretty knowledgeable about the JLs, except for the first guy I encountered. He tried to show me a JK, when I told him that it wasnā€™t the JL. Then he said, oh we donā€™t have those. Thereā€™s too much to go into with this place. The second dealer in the town above me told me that the JLs were for order in 2019. I told him that it wasnā€™t true. He insisted I was wrong. I know you canā€™t fix stupid so I just let him go on. Then, he told me that I didnā€™t want a manual. I think I know what I want. His reasoning was because automatics have better resale. Okay. Then, he told me that my current deal (the one I went with) wasnā€™t a real deal. He hadnā€™t heard of the Tread Lightly AR either...yikes.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I was talking to a salesman (of course they send out the newest newbie salesman) and telling him I was looking at ordering a 2 door manual JL. He told me that they had a couple but they are a hot seller and are gone. I repeated that I wanted a 2 door JL and he assured me they had some last week and were sold.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
A sales guy at my local dealer came up to me and said how much he loves the new Jeep but hates how they still used the same old shitty antennae as the old Jeep, he said they should've used a transponder type and installed on the hard top like all other modern day vehicles. :facepalm:
Love it. Trashing his own product with stupid ways to improve it. I guess his version of the JL is the top on only radio. Useful for not disturbing those around you.

Or maybe he was just referring to the power top.....ya think? I think he couldn't be referring to that he probably doesn't even know exists.

I don't get it. My dad's first career was as a pharmaceutical drug rep. He had to know everything about not only his company's products but the competitor's.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Well isn't it Armycop? All four wheels turn forward in the JL just like the JK, right?;)

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
My salesman insisted that the Rubicon they just got in (which I couldn't see because the owner was driving it!) was a Recon. I let him go with it for awhile but then couldn't take it anymore and had to set him straight.
That's when you tell him you're ready to order a recon of your own.

SW777

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 2509 Duramax
I had one dealer that told me the 2.0 inline 4cyl was a diesel. I laughed a bit then set him straight. He admitted it was a Fail on his part. To make up for it he gave me a 6% Off Invoice TR Deal. So that was positive.

After making this deal i then received a call from my Local Dealer who frankly sucked at communication during the process. My salesperson, who was a good guy wanted to start the process of getting an order set-up for me. I told him that in the delay of receiving communication from them I had already made a deal.
-He then counters by saying we can beat it.
-I then say get lower then 6% because that is what I have.
-Him.... Crickets..... What!? Let me talk with my Manager
-He comes back. I donā€™t know how you got that deal best we can do is 3.5 below.
-I say sorry
-He says wait let me talk to the GM
-I wait and listen as he put his cellphone down in ear shot.

-GM: What the F@#k. How did he get that. Let him go it will be better for us. (Definitely sounded offended)

-Salesman: Sorry man good luck with the deal

Idiotic!!!
Sponsored