Sponsored

Stupid Question - Why did Jeep discontinue the padding on the roll bars?

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I remember the old roll bars being really skinny. The pads beefed them up and made them look better.

The JL’s roll cage is much more than bars now—it’s really a frame with large openings. In fact, when you look at the JLU from the top, you’re really just looking at a couple of sunroofs.

The first time I took the top off I was surprised by how open it didn’t feel. Putting pads on the cage would just close it up even more.
77321A81-E802-4B3B-9BE1-F211BB499018.jpeg
I wish they got rid of the enormous freedom stealing sport bra instead
Sponsored

Chrysler-Factory-Warranty

First Name
Mopar Warranty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Warranty Sales

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Just so that we get something else to scratch when taking the top off. That way we dont take the top as often, theres less fatigue on cheap chinese plastic components and they break after the 3 year warranty period is over.

Last edited:

GClouser

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2-Door
Maybe the removed them with the introduction of the side airbags? Assuming this would keep people from hitting the roll bars.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Maybe the removed them with the introduction of the side airbags? Assuming this would keep people from hitting the roll bars.
There are no side airbags on the rear. If you are in a wrangler and get t-boned or almost any accident get ready for an almost guaranteed concussion. Pretty lame of Jeep IMO.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Having had the padding on my YJ in hawaii, I can say the zippers failed in the elements and the sun faded and damaged/cracked the padding, so not worth replacing it. Also, if it got wet, it wasn’t entirely the best resistant material, it was for 1989, and we have better today. Neoprene and Velcro today? Maybe a cool thing.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
A serious answer: There is only 1 reason a company makes a change like this and that is money. It was probably much less expensive, years ago, to simply throw a pad over the roll bars than to paint them properly. But now that robot and paint technology has evolved, it is probably much cheaper to paint. The pads aren't going to do a thing for your head in an accident, and your heaqd won't hit them if you're wearing your seatbelt.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I like the new look a heck of a lot better. A definite improvement and the previous padded look was way behind the times.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I think it is just more modern without the padding. And just the general trend of replacing all materials with plastic.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I like the new look a heck of a lot better. A definite improvement and the previous padded look was way behind the times.
I didn’t see your post before i posted. I agree.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
I could never find an really good replacement pads for my TJ. Not having pads is a good thing.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The first time I took the top off I was surprised by how open it didn’t feel.
Same. I came from a TJ and I happen to be the one person who drops the windshield. On the TJ this was a bit more work, four bolts per side to remove the section of sport bar that went to the windshield header, then another bolt on each side to drop the windshield, total of 10 bolts. But I rolled around most of the spring/summer/fall with the top and doors off and that section of sport bar removed. Removing that sport bar piece alone made the experience much more open feeling.

The JL I think they took a step backward with the windshield wiper design (I need to use a tool now to remove them, TJ you didn't). But also it doesn't feel that much more open with the windshield folded down. I'm sure it's safer with having that permanent frame all around you, but the experience is not the same. I also find that the windshield sits so much taller on the hood, it makes tire placement much more difficult so now I'm only dropping the windshield on the street around town or easy trail runs.

tawsenior

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 2 Door 2.0T - Mojito!
There are 4 different manufacturers for JL.
They do look better on white Jeep, as back of the roll bar looks bit flimsy and pops too much - too noticeable.

Option are
Smittybuilt $160
Dirtydog $305
Koverz $235
Shadeidia $270

20210202_213118.jpg
Still nothing for us 2 door JL owners.