Stupid Question of the day

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
OK, don't kill me, just a thought. My Rubi came with 33" MT tires. I'm going with 35's when I replace these, but was thinking of keeping the 33 spare to negate having to buy 5 tires and keep the weight off the tailgate. I realize with LSD, if I had to change the tire out, it would be working the clutches in the diff, but I'm thinking it would be OK (like constant turning a corner) just to get back to civilization and the correct repair/replacement. What say ye?
Sponsored

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
A lot of tire stores will give you a credit for the spare if unused, making the cost of adding 5 tires not as bad.

thx138

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU '17 GTI
Occupation
IT
If you have a smaller spare and LSD i think the smaller tire should be on the front. So you could end up changing two tires to move it around.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I would buy all 5 and include the spare tire in the rotation process ... that way the tires will last longer.. and the spare tire will not dry rot

Last edited:

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
OK, don't kill me, just a thought. My Rubi came with 33" MT tires. I'm going with 35's when I replace these, but was thinking of keeping the 33 spare to negate having to buy 5 tires and keep the weight off the tailgate. I realize with LSD, if I had to change the tire out, it would be working the clutches in the diff, but I'm thinking it would be OK (like constant turning a corner) just to get back to civilization and the correct repair/replacement. What say ye?
No. Buy five tires all the same size. It is required with part time 4WD, lockers, stability control and ABS brakes. I don't think you have a limited slip differential on the Rubicon due to the lockers.

Or, just live life on the edge without a spare and save weight on the tailgate. Do you feel lucky?

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Spend the extra money. You will appreciate it when you are in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire.

Every now and then I see a vehicle on the side of the road with 3 tires and a jack.

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Spare Tire is also a matter of trail etiquette.. when you are out there deep in the trails with your buddies and one of them damages a tire.. it is always great to count on your buddies having a similarly sized spare tire to assist in case more tires get damaged .. 33'' tires are less common on the trails.. 35'' and especially 37'' prevail on the trails..

last time I went off-roading a sorta hidden shale rock slashed several tires in our group (including mine).. it was good to count on having my buddies having 35'' / 37'' spare tires

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
I have the same meaning 4 aftermarket wheels n tires (33’s) and kept my spare where it is.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Rubicon's do not have LSD that I know of? I think you should not mix sizes no matter!

Go Jeep!!!

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Spend the money. Avoid the trauma.
Sponsored