Sponsored

Stupid question.....? Could a JK D44 be swapped onto a JL?

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Just curious because I’ve seen several JL axle swaps onto a JK. Would be pretty neat and would open up some options if a JK axle could be swapped into a JL.
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I believe the JL has thicker axle sleeves. So it may be possible, but I remember reading that was a problem the JL fixed. JK axles are at risk of bending with 35”+ tires. Since we’re on model year 4 without it being commented on in volume, I think FCA succeeded at stomping that out.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
yes you can put JK axles into a JL there maybe some cutting and welding to reposition some of the mounts involves though also there my be some trickery you have to do with the ABS sensor but not sure on that part.

As for JK axles themselves yes there are a lot of parts out for them which is to be expected from a 10 year old very popular car to modify, but they are also known to require additional work to make them usable that you dont need to worry to much with the JL axles and older axle, mainly the tube is much thinner and smaller so so many people have to weld a sleeve into the tube, also the Cs are weaker and you need to gusset them. The JLs biggest weak point to seems so far is the FAD housing there are have a few photos posted of those cracking in half but something that a truss will resolve but I would not worry about it unless you are doing heavy rock crawling or jumping it.

So with that all said, what are you looking to do with your axles and what you plan on doing with your jeep off road wise. With the effort that takes for a JK to JL swap junkyard 1 tons should not be over looked

OP
OP
Yondu_JLU

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
yes you can put JK axles into a JL there maybe some cutting and welding to reposition some of the mounts involves though also there my be some trickery you have to do with the ABS sensor but not sure on that part.

As for JK axles themselves yes there are a lot of parts out for them which is to be expected from a 10 year old very popular car to modify, but they are also known to require additional work to make them usable that you dont need to worry to much with the JL axles and older axle, mainly the tube is much thinner and smaller so so many people have to weld a sleeve into the tube, also the Cs are weaker and you need to gusset them. The JLs biggest weak point to seems so far is the FAD housing there are have a few photos posted of those cracking in half but something that a truss will resolve but I would not worry about it unless you are doing heavy rock crawling or jumping it.

So with that all said, what are you looking to do with your axles and what you plan on doing with your jeep off road wise. With the effort that takes for a JK to JL swap junkyard 1 tons should not be over looked
😂 yeah certainly not in my budget then and sounds kinda stupid to do so with all of the needed fabrication work. I ultimately want to run 37s, which I’m confident my stock axles can handle on road and with minor off-roading. I do plan on swapping to a pro rock or UD44 up front at some point. I’m also running synergy steering so I think a lighter 37 like a Patagonia or STT Pro should be fine for daily driving and occasional off-roading.
Sponsored