steve0819

steve0819

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cts
You could also go to the dealer and play dumb. “Can you show me how to remove the doors?”

Yes. Totally fine. I will put mine back for winter to keep snow and ice out of the hole, but you’re good.

Glad you got it solved. As you’ve learned, tight is tight; too tight is broken.
Thanks. I'm definitely going to put the nuts back in that door for the winter. Any chance that it'll get stuck again? Even if i screw it in loosely?
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18JLU
You guys are the best!!! Upward pressure on the door while untightening it did the trick. Thank god!!

Okay now, can i drive around without these torx nuts?? I take the door off every weekend and not only is it a hassle, it seems like the nuts get worn every time i take them off.

I'll probably put the nuts back on when its winter so the hinges don't rust. As for the summer months, is it safe to leave them off??
My current ‘18 JLU Rube is the 4th wrangler I’ve owned. Don’t remember if the YJ to TJ had them but my JK and JL I pulled those things and tossed them day 1, never to be put back on again. Unless you’re opening your door upside down but then you’ve got bigger problems....

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I would find out what size threads they are and get a tap and die for it. Watch some videos on how to do it if your not sure. You want to go slow and use some oil for lubrication.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@steve0819 are you familiar with JL Wrangler door pin guides? This product might come in useful for you in getting doors back into hinges with minimal stress on components.

OP
OP
steve0819

steve0819

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cts
@steve0819 are you familiar with JL Wrangler door pin guides? This product might come in useful for you in getting doors back into hinges with minimal stress on components.
I might have to read up on the guides again. Honestly I haven't had much problem except tightening that bolt way more tighter than it had to be.

My current ‘18 JLU Rube is the 4th wrangler I’ve owned. Don’t remember if the YJ to TJ had them but my JK and JL I pulled those things and tossed them day 1, never to be put back on again. Unless you’re opening your door upside down but then you’ve got bigger problems....
Sounds good. I might just put them back on for the winter months just so that it won't rust

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@steve0819 ;) the many times I've road raged a series of off road boulders, and found myself and my rig upside down in a tree, having elevated and half barrel rolled to get there, the door nuts have been so useful in keeping the doors on the rig and my not finding the door dropping to the ground before I do, to egress and call a tow truck, err, crane.

Just sayin':CWL:

Tactician133

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2016 Ram 1500
Another way to remove the Door Hinge Stud nuts once they've become stripped out. A long M6x1 bolt can be threaded into the nut from the bottom. Hold onto the nut with a pair of pliers to prevent it from free spinning in the hinge and then tighten the bolt. The end of the bolt will thread all the way through the nut and then push against the end of the stud. As the bolt pushes against the stud, the nut starts to thread itself up the M6 bolt and back out of the hinge.

This was a very simple way to remove the stripped nut without having to try to lift the door out of the hinges.

20210323_165753.jpg

DrtyFrank

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Driving around for Big Brown.
Related: I broke one of the top pins off mine and now I find the door kind of floats in the hinge because it’s basically only held in there by the bottom hinge and pin… without having to buy a new hinge (which are on back order at Quadratec) can I just tack on something to replace the upper pin? Or, would the aftermarket pin guides do the trick?

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I haven't had my doors bolted in 4.5 years, not worth the irritation. No problems at all with these.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stupid mistake!! Over torqued door nuts SmartSelect_20221024_080246_Chrome

WaX

NotSoOldGrandDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla, 2021 Willys Sport
Another way to remove the Door Hinge Stud nuts once they've become stripped out. A long M6x1 bolt can be threaded into the nut from the bottom. Hold onto the nut with a pair of pliers to prevent it from free spinning in the hinge and then tighten the bolt. The end of the bolt will thread all the way through the nut and then push against the end of the stud. As the bolt pushes against the stud, the nut starts to thread itself up the M6 bolt and back out of the hinge.

This was a very simple way to remove the stripped nut without having to try to lift the door out of the hinges.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stupid mistake!! Over torqued door nuts SmartSelect_20221024_080246_Chrome
Just tried this method. Not much success. What's the secret to getting the M^ to stick? When I begin to remove it it just comes out by itself and the pin stays in

Sponsored

Tactician133

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2016 Ram 1500
Just tried this method. Not much success. What's the secret to getting the M^ to stick? When I begin to remove it it just comes out by itself and the pin stays in
I'm not sure which of the steps I've laid out here that you might be doing incorrectly. I removed all four of the door hinge stud nuts with the method I explained here.
Maybe writing it in list form will help you out?
Reminder: this only works if you have already stripped the threads off of the door hinge stud itself and the door hinge stud nut spins freely inside the door hinge without actually coming out. Again, the door hinge's stud's external thread should be completely stripped off for the method to be effective. With this method, there is no "reinstalling" these nuts without completely replacing the door hinges themselves.

1. Hand install a M6x1 bolt into the bottom of the door hinge stud nut.
2. Use pliers to hold onto the "head" of the door hinge stud nut to prevent the nut from turning.
2a. Hold onto the pliers tightly for the remainder of the removal.
3. Use a ratchet and appropriate size socket for the M6x1 bolt and begin to tighten the M6x1 bolt into the door hinge stud nut.
4. If done correctly, as the M6x1 bolt hits the end of the door hinge stud, the stud nut will begin to "run up" the remaining threads of the M6x1 bolt, effectively removing itself from the door hinge.

Hopefully this clears things up for you.

NotSoOldGrandDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla, 2021 Willys Sport
I'm not sure which of the steps I've laid out here that you might be doing incorrectly. I removed all four of the door hinge stud nuts with the method I explained here.
Maybe writing it in list form will help you out?
Reminder: this only works if you have already stripped the threads off of the door hinge stud itself and the door hinge stud nut spins freely inside the door hinge without actually coming out. Again, the door hinge's stud's external thread should be completely stripped off for the method to be effective. With this method, there is no "reinstalling" these nuts without completely replacing the door hinges themselves.

1. Hand install a M6x1 bolt into the bottom of the door hinge stud nut.
2. Use pliers to hold onto the "head" of the door hinge stud nut to prevent the nut from turning.
2a. Hold onto the pliers tightly for the remainder of the removal.
3. Use a ratchet and appropriate size socket for the M6x1 bolt and begin to tighten the M6x1 bolt into the door hinge stud nut.
4. If done correctly, as the M6x1 bolt hits the end of the door hinge stud, the stud nut will begin to "run up" the remaining threads of the M6x1 bolt, effectively removing itself from the door hinge.

Hopefully this clears things up for you.
My misunderstanding. My pin doesn’t spin. It doesn’t move at all. The nut is stripped.
Sponsored