Stupid mistake!! Over torqued door nuts

steve0819

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cts
As the title says, I was stupid and over tightened the black nuts that go on the bottom portion of the door hinge. I tried screwing it out with the wrench but all it does is keep spinning in place.

Any advice on how I can remove this nut? Not sure if i stripped the thread on the nut or the screw on the door hinge itself. I currently only have the most basic tools.

Any help would be gladly appreciated!!
Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
As the title says, I was stupid and over tightened the black nuts that go on the bottom portion of the door hinge. I tried screwing it out with the wrench but all it does is keep spinning in place.

Any advice on how I can remove this nut? Not sure if i stripped the thread on the nut or the screw on the door hinge itself. I currently only have the most basic tools.

Any help would be gladly appreciated!!
Yes.

Been there done that.

Here is what I suspect is going on. First some facts.

A threaded rod is welded to the part of the hinge that screws into your door.

Chances are, in tightening the black nuts you have managed to break that threaded rod originally welded to the hinge, as it now spins with the torx nut you are trying to loosen, and nothing in the way of loostening appears to happen at your end.

Solution: Order at least one replacement torx nut. Also rrder from the dealer or Quadratec (etc.) a replacement hinge...make sure you specify passengers or driver's side.

Order, I would suggest in spray paint for, the matching MOPAR color for your rig.

When the hinge comes in lightly, not covering the entire hinge, spray the hinge with the spray paint. Don't over do it. Let it dry.

Then do it again, lightly. Let it dry. And again, and again, until it's fully painted.

Tape your door up. Remove the old hinge. The old torx nut and the broken bolt inside should drop to the ground. Replace it with your new painted one and new torx nut, bolting the new hinge back on to the door.

You may also want to spray paint the hinge with clear coat. I can recommend you one need be.

gentryTX

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
You said it just spins. Do you think you just stripped the head of the hinge pin?

I don't even put them back in anymore, but I always used a power drill to put them back in when i used them and never stripped them.

OP
OP
steve0819

steve0819

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cts
Yes.

Been there done that.

Chances are, in tightening the black nuts you have managed to break that threaded rod originally welded to the hinge, as it now spins with the torx nut you are trying to loosen, and nothing in the way of loostening appears to happen at your end.

Solution: Order at least one replacement torx nut. Also rrder from the dealer or Quadratec (etc.) a replacement hinge...make sure you specify passengers or driver's side.

Order, I would suggest in spray paint for, the matching MOPAR color for your rig.

When the hinge comes in lightly, not covering the entire hinge, spray the hinge with the spray paint. Don't over do it. Let it dry.

Then do it again, lightly. Let it dry. And again, and again, until it's fully painted.

Tape your door up. Remove the old hinge. The old torx nut and the broken bolt inside should drop to the ground. Replace it with your new painted one and new torx nut, bolting the new hinge back on to the door.

You may also want to spray paint the hinge with clear coat. I can recommend you one need be.
Anyway i can just get the black nut out? I don't even plan on putting it back anymore. Seems like a lot of work to just replace that rod :(

You said it just spins. Do you think you just stripped the head of the hinge pin?

I don't even put them back in anymore, but I always used a power drill to put them back in when i used them and never stripped them.

Its definitely not the head of the hinge pin. I just took a look and it isn't stripped at all. The nut is just stuck there, it won't tighten properly or loosen properly.

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
OP
OP
steve0819

steve0819

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cts
I was about to tell you that top or bottom hinge matters too.

https://www.quadratec.com/vehicle/jeep-wrangler-jl-parts/doors/door-hinges

Maybe the threads on the torx nut are stripped....as a test will another door's torx nut work?

Will the torx nut on the problematic hinge fail to work on another hinge whose torx nut does grip?
Yeah it grips. I’ve taken out every nut except this particular one. It’s the bottom hinge. Any temporary way to get this off?

I didn’t know it was necessary to keep it on and starting now, all of them will stay off

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Pry something thin (paint scraper or small screwdriver?) in between the hinge and the head, and then push down toward the ground while loosening.

OP
OP
steve0819

steve0819

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cts
Yes.

Been there done that.

Also if i go this route, after I separate the hinge and the door, how would i be able to separate the torx nut with the rod? As it would still be stuck

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also if i go this route, after I separate the hinge and the door, how would i be able to separate the torx nut with the rod? As it would still be stuck
You might have to take an angle grinder or dremel to the nut if aforementioned pry method doesn’t work. Once you cut it off the door should slide right out.

OP
OP
steve0819

steve0819

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cts
Lift up on door and use a trim tool to pull down on the bolt while unscrewing. I think it has to work.
You might have to take an angle grinder or dremel to the nut if aforementioned pry method doesn’t work. Once you cut it off the door should slide right out.
You guys are the best!!! Upward pressure on the door while untightening it did the trick. Thank god!!

Okay now, can i drive around without these torx nuts?? I take the door off every weekend and not only is it a hassle, it seems like the nuts get worn every time i take them off.

I'll probably put the nuts back on when its winter so the hinges don't rust. As for the summer months, is it safe to leave them off??

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You could also go to the dealer and play dumb. “Can you show me how to remove the doors?”
You guys are the best!!! Upward pressure on the door while untightening it did the trick. Thank god!!

Okay now, can i drive around without these torx nuts?? I take the door off every weekend and not only is it a hassle, it seems like the nuts get worn every time i take them off.

I'll probably put the nuts back on when its winter so the hinges don't rust. As for the summer months, is it safe to leave them off??
Yes. Totally fine. I will put mine back for winter to keep snow and ice out of the hole, but you’re good.

Glad you got it solved. As you’ve learned, tight is tight; too tight is broken.
Sponsored