Sponsored

Study Suggests State of the World Has More Americans Considering a Jeep

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Hypothetically, when/if you have to move/relocate, you can only carry so many firearms and only so much ammo.
A dry run of getting out of the city to more remote property showed I could fit a LOT in my Gladiator. I'm thinking easily 20k rounds and a dozen firearms (not that I have that much, you understand). Wife and kid too. Dog can fit in the back thanks to the dividers in the bed. If I need more, I'll use a trailer (towing up to 7000lbs). I'm thinking of loading the bed up with bags of gravel and going out on some trails to see how it does loaded up. Bonus I'll be able to help fix some of them up while I'm at it if I need less weight!
Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
A dry run of getting out of the city to more remote property showed I could fit a LOT in my Gladiator. I'm thinking easily 20k rounds and a dozen firearms (not that I have that much, you understand). Wife and kid too. Dog can fit in the back thanks to the dividers in the bed. If I need more, I'll use a trailer (towing up to 7000lbs). I'm thinking of loading the bed up with bags of gravel and going out on some trails to see how it does loaded up. Bonus I'll be able to help fix some of them up while I'm at it if I need less weight!
So I Ironic.. I posted a thread like this back in February on this very topic, and pretty much no one took it seriously..... Now bugging out in our Jeeps is starting to sound like quite the sane option...

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
If it's an "end of the world" situation, I would imagine you are looking at reliability, range and payload. Then maybe rock crawling.
If I was worried about that kind of thing, I'd have a used Toyota Hilux or 78 series pickup and drop in some long range tanks and a good tray system.
Since I am not worried about the end of the world on account of it not happening for a long, long, long long time, I will continue to enjoy my overpriced Jeep Wrangler. As God intended.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
If it's an "end of the world" situation, I would imagine you are looking at reliability, range and payload. Then maybe rock crawling.
If I was worried about that kind of thing, I'd have a used Toyota Hilux or 78 series pickup and drop in some long range tanks and a good tray system.
Since I am not worried about the end of the world on account of it not happening for a long, long, long long time, I will continue to enjoy my overpriced Jeep Wrangler. As God intended.
wouldnt those options cost more than a stock JL/JT? I think Jeeps are the perfect combination of off road capabilities and utility. They can carry your stuff, to places you might need to go without masses of vehicles being able to follow you

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Now you’re thinking. Nice post. Practical.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
wouldnt those options cost more than a stock JL/JT? I think Jeeps are the perfect combination of off road capabilities and utility. They can carry your stuff, to places you might need to go without masses of vehicles being able to follow you
The 78 series maybe. Those are highly sought after. The Hilux, at least over hear is wildly cheaper than a Jeep. A new Wrangler is minimum 50k Euro over here.
While you can squeeze a lot of stuff into a Wrangler, it has a shockingly low max payload. The Toyota has nearly 3 times that. Plus can tow 7700 lbs. Not to mention the ability to put sheet goods in the bed. Which anyone who owns a truck can tell you how handy that is. Unless none of your buddies have a truck, in which case this a big disadvantage.
For utility, you get a truck or a heavy duty van. For enjoyment, you get a Jeep.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
If you give them a warning you've already lost half the advantage. :)
That's for you not me. Everyone near me knows that I shoot. I shoot in the backyard. So my neighbor does not need a warning. I also don't put up signs saying what type of house security/alarm I use nor do I post about cameras. You get to figure that shit out for yourself.

Plus I live outside of the city in a rural area where people call you and say did you see that strange car go by?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
So I Ironic.. I posted a thread like this back in February on this very topic, and pretty much no one took it seriously..... Now bugging out in our Jeeps is starting to sound like quite the sane option...
Maybe time to up-armor, take all that Metalcloak crap off the bottom and put it on the sides where it can be useful, and turret mount the AR too. How you gonna get out of the city if the first guy with a 9mm gets lucky? Shudda bought that surplus APC when you had the chance. LOL.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
That's a wonderful and encouraging study but let's not forget the very many studies and prognoses from the 50s when the world was told that Americans will have their personal flying automobiles parked in front of the house by the year of 2000 : )
You mean the JETSON's aren't Real?!?!

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
While you can squeeze a lot of stuff into a Wrangler, it has a shockingly low max payload. The Toyota has nearly 3 times that. Plus can tow 7700 lbs. Not to mention the ability to put sheet goods in the bed. Which anyone who owns a truck can tell you how handy that is. Unless none of your buddies have a truck, in which case this a big disadvantage.
Sounds just like a Jeep Gladiator (except for the cheaper price)

Maybe time to up-armor, take all that Metalcloak crap off the bottom and put it on the sides where it can be useful, and turret mount the AR too. How you gonna get out of the city if the first guy with a 9mm gets lucky? Shudda bought that surplus APC when you had the chance. LOL.
The only armor that would be worth it is AR500 steel plating. That stuff is HEAVY. A 12x20" plate is about 20lbs. Using that size as a reference, you'd need 2 plates worth for the front doors and one plate each for the rear doors. You'd need 4 plates for the hood and 2 plates for the grill. Add another 4 plates covering the rear end. And one plate worth for misc spots. So 15 plates, 300lbs. Huh, actually not that bad.

Ideally you'd add a 30" round gong target to each wheel, that weigh 60lbs each! I don't think even Dana 44 axles could handle the rotational strain when considering 33-35" mud terrains, so need Dana60/80 for offroading. But it's unsprung weight so no effect on payload!

Last edited:

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

No doubt about the craziness in Chicago. Lots of storefronts in at least Lincoln Park, had their windows smashed after the 'Hawks won the Cup. Fortunately, things were more tame with the Cubs win.

Spoke to the cashier at a local convenience store in Lincoln Park. He's a friend and is also the store owner's son. Apparently, robberies at such stores may be increasing, as the 7-Eleven across the street from that store, as well as one down the street, were recently held up. Makes it a little more scary to walk down mostly vacant Clark St at night with no police to be seen. Although, there is always a lot of activity from the delivery guys in front of Papa John's.

Stay safe and healthy everyone!
at least Juicy Smooyay will finally be able to get his Subway sammie in peace!

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

The only armor that would be worth it is AR500 steel plating. That stuff is HEAVY. A 12x20" plate is about 20lbs. Using that size as a reference, you'd need 2 plates worth for the front doors and one plate each for the rear doors. You'd need 4 plates for the hood and 2 plates for the grill. Add another 4 plates covering the rear end. And one plate worth for misc spots. So 15 plates, 300lbs. Huh, actually not that bad.

Ideally you'd add a 30" round gong target to each wheel, that weigh 60lbs each! I don't think even Dana 44 axles could handle the rotational strain when considering 33-35" mud terrains, so need Dana60/80 for offroading. But it's unsprung weight so no effect on payload!
Maybe just paste some of them paper targets, you know, from the last visit to the range.

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Now those load range E tires are starting to look pretty good, eah? Some of our members have 1000 lbs worth of aftermarket parts added on. I'd take all that crap off and put the armor on. the problem with the JL is that you'll have to rivet it to the doors and tailgate, since they're aluminum.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Now those load range E tires are starting to look pretty good, eah? Some of our members have 1000 lbs worth of aftermarket parts added on. I'd take all that crap off and put the armor on. the problem with the JL is that you'll have to rivet it to the doors and tailgate, since they're aluminum.

Would need to bolt on as riveting through ar500 steel will be tough. Luckily you can buy square steel shooting targets with pre-drilled holes for hanging/mounting.

The weight is why I went with the JT. 1600lbs of payload is a good bit. It allows me to have a bed rack, roof rack, tent, recovery gear, steel bumpers and winches, family, and still have 700lbs for gear/supplies before I even hit the doorjam payload. Armor taking 300lbs leaves 400 for supplies and offensive defensive measures.
Sponsored