Stuck on the road

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
This is actually my fault as I know I was low on gas and electric and was trying to get home

Currently one mile from home and 4xe went into limp mode and shut off. We t to gas station and got a Jerry can and filled up but apparently that didnt work as jeep refuses to turn on. Had to call jeep roadside they will bring gas but worried that's not the issue because one gallon should've been enough.

Can't get it in Neutral so kinda in the middle of the street.

Also gas tank took a while to open so I had to manually pop it from inside but I think I pulled the string too hard as it popped and now seems something loose there.

So stuck right now and hoping it's just gas

Anything I can try to force start or force neutral?
Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
***EDITā€”disregard, shoulda like you did this already. Should be able to put it in neutral, pull the panel in front of the shifter and thereā€™s a pull in there that will allow you to shift it.****or did you?

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
***EDITā€”disregard, shoulda like you did this already. Should be able to put it in neutral, pull the panel in front of the shifter and thereā€™s a pull in there that will allow you to shift it.****
Ok I see the yellow cord so you are saying pull that?

Sponsored

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Also getting notice that says close fuel door. But it is closed so I might have broke it when pulling string. So I may have enough gas now but sensor looking for fuel door

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Also getting notice that says close fuel door. But it is closed so I might have broke it when pulling string. So I may have enough gas now but sensor looking for fuel door
In fact I'm positive it's the fuel door now. When I try to turn engine it says fuel low. When I change menus it says fuel cap open. Even tho it's closed also the gas button doesn't work so can't press that to open lid anymore. Only way to open tank is to stick knife in fuel door to prop it open.

So need a way to reset fuel door. But probably broke it when I tried to manually open by pulling string

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Maybe pulling a fuse and reseating it? Not sure which one.

Irnbru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2020 JL Sport
From the manual. Hope it helps.

Loose Fuel Filler Cap Message After fuel has been added, the vehicle diagnostic system can determine if the fuel filler cap is possibly loose, improperly installed, or damaged. If the system detects a malfunction, the ā€œgASCAPā€ message will display in the odometer display. Tighten the gas cap until a "clicking" sound is heard. This is an indication that the gas cap is properly tightened. Push the odometer reset button to turn the message off. If the problem persists, the message will appear the next time the vehicle is started. This might indicate a damaged cap. If the problem is detected twice in a row, the system will turn on the MIL. Resolving the problem will turn the MIL off.

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
From the manual. Hope it helps.

Loose Fuel Filler Cap Message After fuel has been added, the vehicle diagnostic system can determine if the fuel filler cap is possibly loose, improperly installed, or damaged. If the system detects a malfunction, the ā€œgASCAPā€ message will display in the odometer display. Tighten the gas cap until a "clicking" sound is heard. This is an indication that the gas cap is properly tightened. Push the odometer reset button to turn the message off. If the problem persists, the message will appear the next time the vehicle is started. This might indicate a damaged cap. If the problem is detected twice in a row, the system will turn on the MIL. Resolving the problem will turn the MIL off.
Yeah gas cap clicks. But fuel door won't open unless I manually open it

Reset odometer but nothing happened. This is my dash

16223203634123751941530982580624.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Lol I can't even open my hood right now. Can't find the latch to move. It moves to the right? Having a bad day right now lol

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Ok Roadside came and the size gas can they had was bigger than the one I had so apparently that was enough gas so I was able to get home.

Still have a fuel cap light on the Jeep. Also when I finally opened the hood, and checked the fuses, there was a clicking sound from one. Still trying to find it but definitely sounds like it's from the fuses

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
So now that I'm back home can give some thoughts.

First, thanks to the responders on here, appreciate your prompt help, much appreciated.

Next, Jeep support is lacking. First I hit the SOS button and while the nature of my concern was out of gas, which is not an emergency, I was still in the middle of the road. Luckily it wasn't a main street but still runs parallel to a main street so lots of cars take this this to bypass traffic. So everyone was going around me and was thankful the 100s or so that did were paying attention and didnt crash into me. But the point is SOS said this wasn't an emergency and instead gave me a number for roadside. A little disappointed but guess SOS must be if you're in an accident and not a moron testing the limits of his new Jeep.

Then when I got connected to Roadside, that whole process was a pain. First, the automated machine sent me a text and said fill out the link so we have all key info. Ok fine I fill out name, location, VIN, color, etc. Takes a few minutes. Then get connected to a live person. Of course live person then proceeds to ask me all those questions again. Since I'm a little stressed out at this point I flip and say I already filled out this info, dont you have it? And she was like no. So that whole thing was a pain and waste of time. This is something @JeepCares should be looking into. That's just a waste of everyone's time to ask to fill out a link then not use all that info for the live agent.

So finally she coordinates with a roadside to give me gas. Not going to complain that it took an hour to arrive, unfortunately in my experience that just seems normal, whether you are part of a luxury brand or just calling a random company.

While I'm waiting I try to check the fuses. Maybe I was stressed but couldn't open the damn hood. Just couldn't find the middle latch. Later on, after playing around for 10mins, I was able to release it and open the hood. It's definitely not like other vehicles that practically unlatch as soon as you stick your fingers inside. I had to play around and wiggle, go up down left right left right B A Select Start in order to open

Found it strange that a small Midwest Jerry can doesn't hold enough gas to give the minimum to start. Think that can was a gallon. And roadside had a bigger one that looks five gallons.

Next issue was the fuel cap. After filling with my can, I was having issues opening the lid. Pressing the button didn't work so finally pulled the release string in the back. But even as I pulled it and it popped something, the lid still didn't open. So only way I could, and still now, open it is but sticking a knife to pry it open. Even as I got home so said fuel door open even though it is closed.

So I have a loose string in the back right now and fuel door issue. Going to check all the fuses in a bit but this was a painful experience.

Yes it was my fault for testing the limits and ended up one mile away from home. But the whole process was such an ordeal. The service agents could've been better when dealing with people in stressful situations

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
So now that I'm back home can give some thoughts.

First, thanks to the responders on here, appreciate your prompt help, much appreciated.

Next, Jeep support is lacking. First I hit the SOS button and while the nature of my concern was out of gas, which is not an emergency, I was still in the middle of the road. Luckily it wasn't a main street but still runs parallel to a main street so lots of cars take this this to bypass traffic. So everyone was going around me and was thankful the 100s or so that did were paying attention and didnt crash into me. But the point is SOS said this wasn't an emergency and instead gave me a number for roadside. A little disappointed but guess SOS must be if you're in an accident and not a moron testing the limits of his new Jeep.

Then when I got connected to Roadside, that whole process was a pain. First, the automated machine sent me a text and said fill out the link so we have all key info. Ok fine I fill out name, location, VIN, color, etc. Takes a few minutes. Then get connected to a live person. Of course live person then proceeds to ask me all those questions again. Since I'm a little stressed out at this point I flip and say I already filled out this info, dont you have it? And she was like no. So that whole thing was a pain and waste of time. This is something @JeepCares should be looking into. That's just a waste of everyone's time to ask to fill out a link then not use all that info for the live agent.

So finally she coordinates with a roadside to give me gas. Not going to complain that it took an hour to arrive, unfortunately in my experience that just seems normal, whether you are part of a luxury brand or just calling a random company.

While I'm waiting I try to check the fuses. Maybe I was stressed but couldn't open the damn hood. Just couldn't find the middle latch. Later on, after playing around for 10mins, I was able to release it and open the hood. It's definitely not like other vehicles that practically unlatch as soon as you stick your fingers inside. I had to play around and wiggle, go up down left right left right B A Select Start in order to open

Found it strange that a small Midwest Jerry can doesn't hold enough gas to give the minimum to start. Think that can was a gallon. And roadside had a bigger one that looks five gallons.

Next issue was the fuel cap. After filling with my can, I was having issues opening the lid. Pressing the button didn't work so finally pulled the release string in the back. But even as I pulled it and it popped something, the lid still didn't open. So only way I could, and still now, open it is but sticking a knife to pry it open. Even as I got home so said fuel door open even though it is closed.

So I have a loose string in the back right now and fuel door issue. Going to check all the fuses in a bit but this was a painful experience.

Yes it was my fault for testing the limits and ended up one mile away from home. But the whole process was such an ordeal. The service agents could've been better when dealing with people in stressful situations
Thanks for taking the time to post all this - your fault or not - it's definitely helpful to others.. Hope things get fixed :fingerscrossed:

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Not to add salt to the wound, but how long did you drive it with the fuel light on?
If it works like a regular gas vehicle you have roughly 50 miles before you actual run out of gas when the fuel light comes on.
Sponsored