Stubby front with nylon wench.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
For example, where I am stubby bumpers aren't legal for on-road use. But they may be fine where you are.
when I first read this and saw that you lived in a mountain-west state, I didnā€™t believe you. So, I looked it up and was surprised to read that you are seemingly correct ā€” Utah doesnā€™t allow stubbiesā€¦

https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/utah/ut-code/utah_code_41-6a-1632

thanks! I learned something. The cops could have a field day in downtown Moab if they wished. The city tourism department would have a cow though.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Are you looking for the bumper/winch/light combo for simply appearance purposes, or are you planning to use them? If you're going to use them, are you going to use them regularly, semi-regularly, or rarely? Those answers will help you decide what to get and how much to spend.

IMO, unless you're out in the woods every night looking for E.T., adding a bunch of lights to the front of the vehicle looks silly. The same with adding the biggest, most expensive winch, if you're never going to use it, or be in a situation where you need to use it.

Also consider many of these aftermarket steel bumpers and winches add considerable weight to the front end of the vehicle, so I'd recommend upgrading to stiffer springs and shocks to accommodate the added weight. You can usually find take-off Rubicon springs & shocks pretty cheap. Note that Jeep uses a variety of different springs and shocks on these vehicles, so you want to look for springs & shocks off a Rubicon that came with the steel bumpers and tow pkg. If I'm not mistaken the front/rear spring numbers end in 60/61 & 90/91 respectively.

Jeeper4xe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
My bumper and the winch I went with but have yet to have time to install šŸ¤¦ Itā€™s synthetic rope but i plan to eventually replace it with an orange synthetic that matches the grill inserts. šŸ˜¬ Welcome to the fam!
Jeep Wrangler JL Stubby front with nylon wench. 54090394-E22D-4326-AAE0-53584B1D2F84

Jeep Wrangler JL Stubby front with nylon wench. C44CD538-A5A0-4BF9-B234-DFF0CE5D2C21

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
when I first read this and saw that you lived in a mountain-west state, I didnā€™t believe you. So, I looked it up and was surprised to read that you are seemingly correct ā€” Utah doesnā€™t allow stubbiesā€¦

thanks! I learned something. The cops could have a field day in downtown Moab if they wished. The city tourism department would have a cow though.
Ya. They're "illegal" here in Ontario Canada as well but you never hear of it being enforced.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
My bumper and the winch I went with but have yet to have time to install šŸ¤¦ Itā€™s synthetic rope but i plan to eventually replace it with an orange synthetic that matches the grill inserts. šŸ˜¬ Welcome to the fam!
Jeep Wrangler JL Stubby front with nylon wench. C44CD538-A5A0-4BF9-B234-DFF0CE5D2C21

That's seems like a lot of money just to get coordinating winch line. Not the mention the fading. Also, if you run a winch cover, how will other jeepers know you are colour coordinated?

Jeeper4xe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
That's seems like a lot of money just to get coordinating winch line. Not the mention the fading. Also, if you run a winch cover, how will other jeepers know you are colour coordinated?
The ones Iā€™ve looked at arenā€™t outrageous and like I said, it will be ā€œeventually,ā€ so when I have the extra cash and donā€™t have a different mod Iā€™d prefer to spend it on (so could be a while lol). I think if it makes me happy, thatā€™s all that matters. šŸ˜Š

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The ones Iā€™ve looked at arenā€™t outrageous and like I said, it will be ā€œeventually,ā€ so when I have the extra cash and donā€™t have a different mod Iā€™d prefer to spend it on (so could be a while lol). I think if it makes me happy, thatā€™s all that matters. šŸ˜Š
Lol, you do you my friend. Methinks you'll end up sticking with the boring old gray one that comes with the winch though. With the way your bumper exposes the full winch (mine does as well), running a cover might be a good idea anyway depending on where you live.

Jeeper4xe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Lol, you do you my friend. Methinks you'll end up sticking with the boring old gray one that comes with the winch though. With the way your bumper exposes the full winch (mine does as well), running a cover might be a good idea anyway depending on where you live.
Yep I might. Havenā€™t even had time to install it so replacing the rope isnā€™t high on my priority list, just sharing an idea.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input. Since Im new to Jeep I am a deer in the headlights. Im not really on a budget per say. I really want a nylon lead as I understand the metal ones will fray and frayed metal hurts more than nylon. Front bumper styles I really like the off road stubby look showing the tires off. The rear has all the sensors built in and will prob keep them for safety.

I will sort through the forums as much as I can before choosing. I just want something I dont have to pay someone to install for me.

Again thanks for all comments joking and not joking :)
You have two choices; steel cable and synthetic rope. The synthetic rope is not nylon.

The parking sensors in the rear bumper can be retained with many aftermarket rear bumpers. Just verify before buying.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

Yup, definitely correct. It's not just bumpers. Fenders must extend to cover tire treads. And if you modify the tires and/or suspension you must have mud flaps covering the width of the tire to below the axle. Removable mud flaps are very common here.

Keep in mind, this only applies to Utah registered vehicles on Utah roads, not trails. So many of the stubbies you see in Moab are registered out of state or trailered in as an exclusively off-road vehicle. Generally speaking, southern Utah is less interested in enforcement than northern Utah. They know where their money comes from, especially Moab.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
What are Laws that aren't enforced ? BEAR TRAPS.
If you are involved in an accident, even though not your fault, that " law" you are in violation of will be used against you. Your insurance company might deny coverage, because you were in violation of the "law". Fine Print can and will be Weaponised against you

OP
OP
Muskylounge6801

Muskylounge6801

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR, Hydro Blue Pearl
Are you looking for the bumper/winch/light combo for simply appearance purposes, or are you planning to use them? If you're going to use them, are you going to use them regularly, semi-regularly, or rarely? Those answers will help you decide what to get and how much to spend.

IMO, unless you're out in the woods every night looking for E.T., adding a bunch of lights to the front of the vehicle looks silly. The same with adding the biggest, most expensive winch, if you're never going to use it, or be in a situation where you need to use it.

Also consider many of these aftermarket steel bumpers and winches add considerable weight to the front end of the vehicle, so I'd recommend upgrading to stiffer springs and shocks to accommodate the added weight. You can usually find take-off Rubicon springs & shocks pretty cheap. Note that Jeep uses a variety of different springs and shocks on these vehicles, so you want to look for springs & shocks off a Rubicon that came with the steel bumpers and tow pkg. If I'm not mistaken the front/rear spring numbers end in 60/61 & 90/91 respectively.

Very great input throughout this thread. As a newbie Jeep it does make sense to look at everything as in the bigger picture. Without getting into specific details I plan to use the jeep in inclement conditions. I do plan on making some trails in summertime probably out of state (From Missouri). So I wouldn't say I will be wheelin every weekend. That being said after my first trail I may change my perspective. The stubby bumper is definitely a cosmetic upgrade with rugged look, the synthetic wench is just in case or possible helping someone else as good Samaritan. I didnt realize aftermarket rear bumpers can re-use utialize factory sensors for back-up/safety.

As far as lights go I have to agree with you. I did see a pair of pillar mounts that not only looked nice but seemed very functional at night on back roads or inclement conditions. I would still like to retain the factory halogens that it came with in the bumper.

I'm not in a hurry as I don't have 600 miles on it yet so I have time to find the right fit. Kinda like measure twice cut once. Invest the time to research what and why you want the mod then choose the right fit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stubby front with nylon wench. 75% jeep front

OP
OP
Muskylounge6801

Muskylounge6801

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR, Hydro Blue Pearl
Do you own a JL now? Do you have the steel bumper? If so, you can make it a stubby by removing a few bolts. Looks good too.

if you like the OEM steel bumper, you may be able to find a take-off one on this board or elsewhere cheap as chipsā€¦ā€¦. You may need a few bits if you are replacing the plastic bumper. I donā€™t recall what folks have said as they made the switch.

winches, generally, just drop into the factory steel bumper (with a winch plate).

Yeah I have the new Jeep. I just broke the law and tinted my front windows to match the back windows. My current bumper is plastic on the outside. I don't mind the plastic fenders (for now) TBH. I just not a fan of the look from the front. I like the stubby look with the bar overtop.
Sponsored